Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Road trip time.

Hello all
The weather in the north east is finally getting nice for a road trip. Im doing a trip from NY to Maine in the end of June. What is the longest drive you have done in your x3? How was the drive there and back? How many people in the car? Did you get a roof rack and cargo box? Anything special you did to the car to prepare for the trip? Any worthy items I will need for a long trip besides beef jerky and water? Lol. (I love driving so I don't really consider a 6hr drive as a long road trip)

I wish I could drive from ny all the way cross country to Cali but the wife won't have any if it. Maybe one of these days when we are retired 30yrs from now we can take our time with a road trip like that.

Thanks all for your input

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My wife and I have done several 400+ mile days in our X3. We find it VERY comfortable to travel in and while there is nothing special required for a road trip, two things I find that improve our level of enjoyment are (1) audible books (we download from Audible.com) and (2) staying on secondary roads when time is not critical.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Hello all
The weather in the north east is finally getting nice for a road trip. Im doing a trip from NY to Maine in the end of June. What is the longest drive you have done in your x3? How was the drive there and back? How many people in the car? Did you get a roof rack and cargo box? Anything special you did to the car to prepare for the trip? Any worthy items I will need for a long trip besides beef jerky and water? Lol. (I love driving so I don't really consider a 6hr drive as a long road trip)

I wish I could drive from ny all the way cross country to Cali but the wife won't have any if it. Maybe one of these days when we are retired 30yrs from now we can take our time with a road trip like that.

Thanks all for your input

We drive from Boston to NYC all the time in our X3 35i, it is a great SUV for long trips. We usually have 3 people in the car and no need for a cargo box. Before each trip, I always check tire pressure and carry a slime kit and an air compressor. The 6 cylinder turbo is a blast on the highway, passing 18 wheeler is effortless. We had the AC on full blast and there was still plenty of power to spare. You bought the right engine if like to go on long trips with the family. Have fun on your trip, happy motoring
Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Pittsburgh from Michigan which is 387 mile trip each way. Four of us in the X3. Drives with ease, lots of power and comfortable. The only part that sucks is when you hit the PA turnpike it's a bit rough riding on the 19's. The roads there SUCK.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
About 2500 miles R/T, up into western Newfoundland. 2 people, nothing (rack/box) other than the X3. Lots of water is a good thing.

I had full faith in my X3, but carried an unnecessary repair kit for non-RFT tires, plus a small compressor. Given the scarcity of BMW dealers in Maritime Canada it seemed prudent, and I don't regret the unnecessary purchase. In retrospect, a list of Canadian Tire locations might have served me equally well.

Prep was just a manual check of tire pressures and a visual inspection of the vehicle. The drive was fantastic, and there were certainly times that I let the X3 be a BMW. Highway mileage was in the upper 20's, maybe 28+. Fuel was generally "best available", a small change from my usual "Top Tier Only". One 14-hour driving day led me to wonder if the Sport Seats made a difference (I think that they did) or if any seat would suck after that amount of time (I don't think it was the seat that sucked, just my attitude - the necessary 14 hours on that day was just too much).

Maine? Yeah, I do that. I do Sunday/weekend trips to southern Maine every now and again. I have 3 words for you. Barnacle Billy's Ogunquit. 75 minutes puts my X3 in Billy's valet lot, and me on Billy's deck with a Lobster Roll in one hand and a Rum Punch in the other. (Designated Driver coin flip depending...)

For a "long" trip, I've got fewer years to retirement, and a Four Corners trip in mind.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
The X3 is a great 'grand touring' car.

The only thing I notice is my back gets sweaty... too bad seats aren't vented like a Hyundai.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
The X3 is a great 'grand touring' car.

The only thing I notice is my back gets sweaty... too bad seats aren't vented like a Hyundai.

That just means u don't have the ac turned up enough.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I did a 5500mile trip this winter from Boston to UT,WY and CO for an extended ski trip. Had snow tires on and the X3 was very comfortable and smooth riding. I had a FX35 before which also was a good road trip vehicle but the X3 was even better. The sport seats were fantastic and that thigh extender was great. All kinds of adjustments. Also climbing the mountains with the 35i was effortless. if I get another X3 I'll definitely get the 35i with those seats. Had a lot of water and food with me.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
The A/C is broken in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
That just means u don't have the ac turned up enough.