Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
First year with true Bluetooth integration?

Hey all...quick question. Does anyone know what year first added true Bluetooth integration? I don't just mean answering and making phone calls. What year had a radio that allowed music and other media playback through the Bluetooth connection?

My BMW is a 2006 and I'm hoping to find a stock radio that has that integration in place. I don't want an aftermarket radio as I don't want to ruin the clean BMW look on the dash. So...any help?
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
It was not MY2011...why are you stuck on Bluetooth music? My 2011 has the USB/Aux port option, wired connection for music. So I can plug in a Bluetooth adapter into either port, if I really wanted Bluetooth link for music.

Last edited by wilt; 05-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 AM

I'm currently using the wired "Aux" connection. The problem is that it doesn't play very well with the phone options when it's plugged in via the wired connection. Was mostly just hoping to get rid of the wires altogether.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi Coupe
Full bluetooth audio streaming and album art features came out on MY2011. But heres the tricky part. MY2011 was a long model year and was actually split when it came to option changes. Around August 2010 the bluetooth audio for music and album art features were added to the CIC. I found this out the hard way. I owned a 2011 328xi couple and it had all the cool features like music streaming, album art etc. This car was built 9/2010. Then i upgraded to a 2011 335xi coupe and it didn't have any of the bluetooth streaming, album art etc. i thought maybe it was broken and needed to be fixed. Nope. This build on the 335 was 7/2010. And after doing some research, found out that this new upgrade to the CIC came in 8/2010. So if your are looking to get a CIC to have these features (album art, BMW Apps, bluetooth streaming ect) make sure its from a MY2011 or later built after 8/2010.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 AM

But to be unambiguous, 'true Bluetooth' (including audio entertainment) is not simply associated only with production date! My car was built in 9/2010, but it does not have CIC, and it has no Bluetooth except for telephone integration. You need the CIC.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
To retrofit a CIC and COMBOX unit into your car for factory bluetooth audio streaming will run your $1500+ for parts, coding, and labor.

A bluetooth adapter setup for your current Aux port is less than $100....

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
A bluetooth adapter setup for your current Aux port is less than $100....
But he already indicated dissatisfaction with audio quality using a direct cable btw. his music player and the Aux port...putting a Bluetooth receiver in place of the direct cable is not necessarily going to make audio quality better unless the crux of the issue is impedance mismatch between output and input port.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Awesome...this is all great information guys! Thank you so much for the help. It definitely tells me what I need to know. Sounds like it might be too much hassle to retrofit what I have. I'll continue to go with the Bluetooth adapter in the AUX port. Not ideal, but it does work.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
But he already indicated dissatisfaction with audio quality using a direct cable btw. his music player and the Aux port...putting a Bluetooth receiver in place of the direct cable is not necessarily going to make audio quality better unless the crux of the issue is impedance mismatch between output and input port.
The headphone jack out of phones uses an analog signal.

Bluetooth connections stream a digital signal and the sound quality is better than using a cord.

Of course you're still limited by an analog connection to the aux port, but it still does sound better.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
If you still want pro radio there are two options.

If you still want pro radio there are two options.
Find one of the radios that have usb/bluetooth and do some
tricky programming to make it work with an 06 .
This will only give you USB not streaming music though but
it will give you HD Radio.
Dension Gateway 500s bt
you get USB and steaming bluetooth music and bluetooth phone if you
need it.
A good analog input will not degrade the sound but its only as good as the source to .
Unfortunatly is looks like the aux in the BMW degrades the sound and the analog coming
out of a cell phone is not to good either.
USB is better fidelity than A2DP , But A2dp can still be pretty good.

There are cheap adapters that play through the AUX but the aux degrades the sound
further.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

Last edited by ctuna; 05-12-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Quote:
The headphone jack out of phones uses an analog signal.

Bluetooth connections stream a digital signal and the sound quality is better than using a cord.

Of course you're still limited by an analog connection to the aux port, but it still does sound better.
Not in my experience. Streaming over Bluetooth encodes/decodes the audio using a lossy compression algorithm not unlike MP3. I've found that using an analog cable directly from the AUX port to my cellphone provides the best sound quality, although newer Bluetooth audio streaming devices may support higher data rates and better codecs.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Bitrate of bluetooth is not as high as USB

Bitrate of bluetooth is not as high as USB can be.

http://soundexpert.org/news/-/blogs/...o-quality-a2dp

Well at least that is what I had read some time back.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Not in my experience. Streaming over Bluetooth encodes/decodes the audio using a lossy compression algorithm not unlike MP3. I've found that using an analog cable directly from the AUX port to my cellphone provides the best sound quality, although newer Bluetooth audio streaming devices may support higher data rates and better codecs.
There is noticable difference in sound quality with my iPhone 4S.

I'm using a BlackBerry Stereo gateway and the sound is much more crisp and defined with the bluetooth connection

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Quote:
There is noticable difference in sound quality with my iPhone 4S.

I'm using a BlackBerry Stereo gateway and the sound is much more crisp and defined with the bluetooth connection
Funny you should mention the BlackBerry Stereo gateway. I have the exact same gadget and I think the sound quality is horrible (massive lossy codec artifacts are audible). It's also flakey when it comes to reconnecting with the phone each time I start the car/apply power. I have much better results via analog cable.

BTW, I have a fairly new aftermarket JVC head unit in my other car and the Bluetooth audio streaming sounds much better on it compared to the BlackBerry gateway. I think it's because it supports newer codec standards.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:30 PM

As for Bluetooth fidelity http://lifehacker.com/does-bluetooth...uck-1505063323

"The problem with Bluetooth audio has always been digital compression: in order to send your audio to your headphones, you were forced to sacrifice quality.
"To its credit, Bluetooth has improved, and the audio compression isn't nearly as bad as it was even five years ago. Bluetooth standards have improved significantly since the days of Bluetooth 1.1 and 2.0 (which is when Bluetooth headsets and headphones really hit the market), and today's Bluetooth 3.0 and 4.0 devices are built with more attention to stereo audio in mind.

"If you want the best possible audio quality from a Bluetooth device, look for headphones and speakers that support aptX, an audio codec designed for CD-quality audio transfer over Bluetooth. Alternatively, look for support for A2DP, or Advanced Audio Distribution Profile, which also requires compatible devices, but is designed for sending stereo audio over Bluetooth to speakers, car stereos, and headphones. In either case, even if you don't have supported devices, you may be able to find adapters to help bridge the gap.

"That said, it's still not as good as wired audio, and some people say it's still unacceptable overall. Still, there are situations where it's good enough for what you want:"

OTOH, so many ears are so acquainted with the portable yet inferior audio quality inherent to MP3, and our autos present such a poor audio environment with all the ambient and road noise, the average driver probably has no clue as to the inferiority of what they listen to today! It still beats AM radio

Last edited by wilt; 05-12-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Funny you should mention the BlackBerry Stereo gateway. I have the exact same gadget and I think the sound quality is horrible (massive lossy codec artifacts are audible). It's also flakey when it comes to reconnecting with the phone each time I start the car/apply power. I have much better results via analog cable.

BTW, I have a fairly new aftermarket JVC head unit in my other car and the Bluetooth audio streaming sounds much better on it compared to the BlackBerry gateway. I think it's because it supports newer codec standards.
That's odd my gateway pairs right up every time I start my car.