Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328I E92
E92 headlights dont work..what did I miss?

So I pulled off the bumper, replaced all the lights and still the same thing...only the halos light up and turn signals work just as before....all new bulbs same as original yet same issue...failed my inspection...Nice little Red R.....cant even drive the car now or I may get a ticket....

A green light on my headlight switch flashes which tells me I have a problem with the headlights which I know that much and the nav screen also tells me the lights are out but what is it?

I ordered a new headlight switch and checked the fuses they seems to be ok, could it be the ballasts or is it something I over looked?

Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Do you have a wiring diagram? Do your headlights go to high beam? Can you flash your highbeams with the stalk? Actually you are in luck, having both headlights out is a lot easier to diagnose than if one is out. Strange but true. My guess is that you have a switch problem but that's a WAG at this point.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 PM

cant flash highbeams, its only halos that wotrk and blinkers and if i turn the switch the halos get brighter but thats all
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The green light blinking means there is a fault with the adaptive system.

Forget the green light/adaptive system for now.

Why did the lights stop working? Out of nowhere? After an accident?

If it was after an accident, your FRM is most likely storing short circuit faults. These faults disable the circuits until the counter is reset and faults are cleared.

You need Toolset32 to reset the short circuit counters.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM

I was hoping it was something more simple like a ballast lol.

I got the new headlight switch in, installed it to no avail, same thing. The green light only flashes in the AUTO setting, when i toggle to any other it turns off.

The car is clean title and I haven't had an accident with it, I checked the frame and it doesnt appear it had a collision.

Toolset, never heard of it. I assume its an interface for a laptop and the car? Gonna research it a bit more, things sure are getting more complex by the minute.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer! View Post
I was hoping it was something more simple like a ballast lol.

I got the new headlight switch in, installed it to no avail, same thing. The green light only flashes in the AUTO setting, when i toggle to any other it turns off.

The car is clean title and I haven't had an accident with it, I checked the frame and it doesnt appear it had a collision.

Toolset, never heard of it. I assume its an interface for a laptop and the car? Gonna research it a bit more, things sure are getting more complex by the minute.
The green light is only suppose to come on with Auto mode. It's the indicator that the adaptive system is working correctly. Solid means everything is functioning properly. No light means the system is off. Blinking means there is an issue with the system.

Inspect the drain gates under the hood by the struts. Clogged with leaves? Clean the grate out. When this grate is clogged, it allows water to overflow into the cabin, right on top of the FRM module which controls lighting and windows in the car.

No clog?....check the headlight seals. If one of them is bad, especially one of the upper seals, water will pool on top of the SMC II module which controls the adaptive stepper motors in the headlight. This is a very common issue on E9x chassis'

Refer to the coding section for more info on Toolset32. It's a program included in the BMW Standards tools package used for vehicle coding, programming, and diagnosis. Available free if you look online but the cable is about $100 from onestopelectronics.com

My bet is you need a new FRM module. If you have an early build, you can take this opportunity to upgrade to FRM3, which is the latest revision of FRM. If you have FRM1, this upgrade will give you Welcome Lighting and a few other features as well as more options for custom coding.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 05-09-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Been a busy week but I did as you suggested, flood gates are clean and now that you mention it I remember some condensation in the drivers side headlight a few weeks back, that could have done it so I ordered 2 ballasts and plan on installing them this weekend, if that doesn't do it then I was thinking going to BMW and have them re-program the lighting module. Hopefully thats not shot too...Once I can get these lights to work I can pass inspection. I was also thinking of buying the interface cable and snooping around with the laptop to see what comes up.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer! View Post
Been a busy week but I did as you suggested, flood gates are clean and now that you mention it I remember some condensation in the drivers side headlight a few weeks back, that could have done it so I ordered 2 ballasts and plan on installing them this weekend, if that doesn't do it then I was thinking going to BMW and have them re-program the lighting module. Hopefully thats not shot too...Once I can get these lights to work I can pass inspection. I was also thinking of buying the interface cable and snooping around with the laptop to see what comes up.
Before even installing those, you should get a multimeter and check if there is voltage at the headlight harness.

If there is no voltage at the harness, check fuses. If they are good, see if you can see any damage in the wiring harness. Check grounds

Then all that's left is the FRM module.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
I would just keep ordering stuff and proceed with trial and error. Proper diagnostics is overrated.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
I would just keep ordering stuff and proceed with trial and error. Proper diagnostics is overrated.
Great advice. That seems like the most efficient way to get this done.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 PM

I installed the new ballasts today and "taaa-daaa." Worked like a charm. Old ones were white, looked like they had baking soda inside...for the hell of it i also checked the nearby board next to the ballasts, called the ACL module.not sure exactly what it does but my quick guess is that it controls the adaptive headlights??? One was good and the other moldy. I used rain-x for all the rubber seals so hopefully its tight now. No more error other than adaptive headlight warning...now i can pass inspection....Thanks so much everyone for all the help and ideas, I am very grateful to you all for your time in helping me fix my issue