Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 318d
rear view camera

Hello guys im about to order the new X3 and im still undecided if it is worth it to get the camera since we already have the rear sensor ., does it really make a big difference? my wife will also be driving the x3 and she is quite new to driving so i was just wondering if it would help her with it .
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
You know, I never had a vehicle with one until a few years ago and while I have never needed one before (Still don't) but it has become such a conveyance you tend to miss it when you don't have it. I'd get it now in any vehicle that it was an option so I didn't have to the Kick Myself in the butt later on for not getting it.

Harry
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Yes it helps. All cars should come with them.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 318d
but does it really made easier to park?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
It is especially helpful in parallel parking because you get both a visual and auditory cue about how close you are to the car behind you. It is also helpful in backing out of crowded and tight parking spaces such as at metro stations where the idiot with the f250 pickup parks in the short space reserved for compacts and you get almost hemmed in.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
I am one of the dorks who did not get it and wished they did. When backing, it seems very difficult to sense where the rear end is in relation to an obstacle like another vehicle. I'll probably get used to it and make adjustments, but in retrospect, I wish I had the camera.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The rear window of the X3 is so small that a rear camera is pretty much a must for it, BMW should have made it standard. The sensor are ok but not as useful as the camera.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
It will be a requirement in 2018.http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/u-s...w-cars-by-2018

You should order the camera with you X3 (more correctly a premium manufacturer like BMW should include a camera just like Hyundai does)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NC View Post
Yes it helps. All cars should come with them.

Last edited by lbjgh; 05-09-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
The sensors are very good but a camera is better.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
rear view camera

The sensors will help avoid actually hitting something but the camera will help you better maneuver and position the car
Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Also, if you ever get a hitch, the camera has a selection that zooms in on the ball and you know exactly how the hitch is liniing up with the trailer. Very cool. When I hook up my trailer the camera is so good that I only need to lower the trailer onto the ball when I get out to make the final attachment. No dinged up bumpers. No pushing the trailer around to get it to the hitch. Get the camera if it's in your budget.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
If you change your mind after you buy the car, you can always install it yourself for about $600. You can buy the parts you need in a kit from BimmerTech. I did it on my brand new 2014 X3 when I had owned it for only a couple of weeks. It's not simple but if you are handy it is definitely doable and you'll be happy with the result.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear View Camera Install Guide-2.pdf (696.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi, Magwich, will that void the warranty? I didn't include rear view camera when I bought my car either.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It will be a requirement in 2018.http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/u-s...w-cars-by-2018

You should order the camera with you X3 (more correctly a premium manufacturer like BMW should include a camera just like Hyundai does)
You'll regret it if you don't.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: x
You need it One day I was backing up with my caddy (no camera but rear sensors). Visibility is really poor but I have the sensors. A little 2 year old ran from moms arms and I nearly hit the little boy (probably no taller than my bumper). Sensors did not register the boy?? Only the screams of the mom across the street made me stop. I was in shock and immediately ditched the caddy for a car with the rear view camera. I religiously rely on it now when backing up.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_nj View Post
Hi, Magwich, will that void the warranty? I didn't include rear view camera when I bought my car either.

If the warranty issue is related to the labor or parts of the after market camera, the warranty claim ralated to that issue will be void.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
In my opinion a rear view camera is an expecially important safety issue for an X3 since it has terrible rear view visibility. I bought a CPO. The woman that bought it new opted for a upgraded audio system but not a rear view camera. In my opinion one inadvertent incident, especially if it involves an injury, more than pays for the cost adding it as original equipment. You just cannot see a small person (like a kid or dog) directly behind the car.

Last edited by RhoXS; 05-13-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If the warranty issue is related to the labor or parts of the after market camera, the warranty claim ralated to that issue will be void.

Thanks. I also agree that it is a must to have rear view camera if anyone is going to get an X3. I regret not to have it when I bought the car. Installation of any aftermarket product will void the warranty which totally sucks.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Get it and you will sorely miss it on other cars as well. Quite practical thing. I would like to the blind spot detection as well..waiting for it when someone invents as an after market solution.

Last edited by Masterx5; 05-13-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: ty
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_nj View Post

I agree with The X Men regarding warranty issue, but I guess the unanswered question is if something goes wrong with the NAV unit down the road and they see that you have spliced into the wires, would they hold that as grounds to void your warranty on that unit. Seems far fetched to me. The install includes the installation of a separate unit that intercepts the signal from the nav unit and sends it to the LCD display and the connecting of a few wires to the wires that connect into the back end of the nav unit. Unless one is not handy, the likelihood of damaging anything significant is quite low. I was not worried about the warranty issue but perhaps I am naive.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwich View Post
I agree with The X Men regarding warranty issue, but I guess the unanswered question is if something goes wrong with the NAV unit down the road and they see that you have spliced into the wires, would they hold that as grounds to void your warranty on that unit. Seems far fetched to me. The install includes the installation of a separate unit that intercepts the signal from the nav unit and sends it to the LCD display and the connecting of a few wires to the wires that connect into the back end of the nav unit. Unless one is not handy, the likelihood of damaging anything significant is quite low. I was not worried about the warranty issue but perhaps I am naive.
When I use to have a Lexus, the mechanic would find mods in my car and still honor the factory warranty. The SA would tell me if the warranty case ever got escalated into a factory engineer visit, the dealership would get into trouble if the factory engineer find that the mod is the cause of the warranty issue. BMW, on the other hand is a bit more strict or their customer service/warranty policy is not good as Lexus, they actually look for ways to void the warranty.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
When I use to have a Lexus, the mechanic would find mods in my car and still honor the factory warranty. The SA would tell me if the warranty case ever got escalated into a factory engineer visit, the dealership would get into trouble if the factory engineer find that the mod is the cause of the warranty issue. BMW, on the other hand is a bit more strict or their customer service/warranty policy is not good as Lexus, they actually look for ways to void the warranty.
I can see BMW voiding the warranty in a minute. I do not like their customer service. Lexus was much better (for me). I wonder if BMW service will notice the extra weather stripping that I added to the front of the engine compartment and comment when I bring it for service in 2 weeks.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I can see BMW voiding the warranty in a minute. I do not like their customer service. Lexus was much better (for me). I wonder if BMW service will notice the extra weather stripping that I added to the front of the engine compartment and comment when I bring it for service in 2 weeks.
They should learn from "engineers" like bimmernut1 and you. Just show them how clean your engine compartment has been since you installed the weather-seal. I don't see how the seal (as applied) can harm the car in anyway. I see BMW with enhancements like bumper protectors, door sills, dashboard or windscreen mounts, M-Sport stickers here and there when it is obviously not a M-Sport model, etc. But then again, you are in USA.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I would get the camera since it will be required equipment in 2018 and not having the camera may make yours seem out-of-date at trade-in time.