Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Please help! Concerns after having these new turbos installed!

My situation is kind of complicated. I've read numerous threads here trying to find a solution regarding my issue. To start. I recently had new turbos installed under the 82,000/8year warranty. Car is a 2007 335i AT with 80,000 miles.

Before getting these new turbos installed, I used to be able to hear the turbos whooshing/spooling. Now with these new turbos, I barely hear them whoosh/spool. Not really a big deal but kind of concerned me.

Bigger concern is that I have this metallic/tin rattle sound under light acceleration in gears 1-2, 2-3 and it only occurs during 1500-3000 RPMs. The noise is very faint and you have to listen closely to hear it. IIRC, waste gate rattle only occurs during deceleration or when the RPMs drop in neural right? I revved the car in neutral and there was no rattle. I know there's an exhaust flap that rattle but I unplugged the actuator in the trunk and the noise I'm getting on light acceleration is still there. Also had a foreman ride with me a few days ago and he said that noise is normal and all turbos make some sort of noise.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the problems I'm having but when the dealer installed the new turbos, I noticed there was oil leaking. I drove the car like this for about a week and monitored the oil level. Never ran low on oil. The oil was leaking from one of the turbo lines. Took the car back to the dealer and had them fix this issue. No more leaks.

I pretty much don't know what else to do. I'm sick of the dealer as they are probably sick of me. Work was done by Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, CA. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: E36 323 Msport, & E30 M3
Hi,
Seems like the only item of concern is the slight rattle noise which may change with milage, you have contacted the garage let them experience the noise and if it develops in to a problem you are working under there instructions to keep on driving so I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer928 View Post
Bigger concern is that I have this metallic/tin rattle sound under light acceleration in gears 1-2, 2-3 and it only occurs during 1500-3000 RPMs. The noise is very faint and you have to listen closely to hear it.
I had a very similar issue. Only occurred after the car started to warm up, and occurred at those exact RPMS. Turned out it was bad bearings in the gearbox (I have a MT). They replaced the entire gearbox. Solved that problem.

Anyway, the dealer used a chassis ear to pin point where the noise was coming from.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
what is the warranty on the new turbos? Did they not replace the waste gates at the same time? you would think they would or at least I would have insisted they do it even if I had to pay for it out of my pocket
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer928 View Post
My situation is kind of complicated.

I pretty much don't know what else to do. I'm sick of the dealer as they are probably sick of me. Work was done by Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, CA. Any suggestions?

Give Bill Arnold a call. Beats the poo outta dealing with any dealer, especially the dealer in San Rafael....

Hey let us know how that went.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
what is the warranty on the new turbos? Did they not replace the waste gates at the same time? you would think they would or at least I would have insisted they do it even if I had to pay for it out of my pocket
SA said they replaced the wastegates too. But I'm not sure about the actuator arms.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
They come as an entire assembly with the waste gates, turbo all attached with the arms. Have you checked for an exhaust rattle on the heat shield? That is typically the cause of many rattles. If you hear the rattle when the engine is warmed up completely than I suspect it isn't a waste gate issue as they typically just rattle cold and when warmed up don't make much noise (typically).
Yes I think if this rattles when warm it would be time to put it on a lift and use a mechanics stethoscope...
Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
They come as an entire assembly with the waste gates, turbo all attached with the arms. Have you checked for an exhaust rattle on the heat shield? That is typically the cause of many rattles. If you hear the rattle when the engine is warmed up completely than I suspect it isn't a waste gate issue as they typically just rattle cold and when warmed up don't make much noise (typically).
Yes I think if this rattles when warm it would be time to put it on a lift and use a mechanics stethoscope...
Yeah the rattle is still there when warm. So I guess that leaves waste gates out the problem. I did unplug the exhaust actuator to see if the rattle was coming from the exhaust flap and the rattle was still present as well.