Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
audiophile mystery

I drive an '08 328i convertible with the base stereo system. At speeds over 45+ mph with the top down, I hear a high pitch whine, on the drivers side speaker, that seems to be associated with the treble function. It is annoying and a scratchy sound and it adds to a "tinny" cheap radio sound.
If I cup my hand over the tweeter in my driver's side A pillar on the street side, the sound lessens somewhat. To rule out that I have a door seal leak, I shut off the radio and the eerie sound is gone. Also when the top is up the eerie sound is not heard.
Does anyone have a helpful suggestion to remedy this situation?
Mikey
Ads by Google
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 AM
new to BMW life

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
bad ground to the radio.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The base stereo does not have tweeters in the door sails.

So you either have HiFi or Top Hifi (L7).

If you look in the trunk, driver side, you will see a panel you can lift up. Under that will be an amp.

Black is HiFi. Silver is L7.

Check for signs of water. If you have water in there, fix the leak. Normally it's the trunk seal.

Then go about replacing the amp if needed.

If this issue popped up out of nowhere(or if you happen to recall it occurring right after a wash or heavy rain), it most likely an amp issue, not a ground issue.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Fdriller more info

OK, I opened the left hand small cover in the trunk, driver side. Underneath is a storage box.It is connected with 5 push pins. Is the amplifier under this?
Also I pulled the large central panel out of the trunk. On the upper right corner is a silver box with leads. Is this the FRM? Also a black wire is jutting out nearby with an open pink connector. Is this normal or should it be connected to something?
Mikey
P.S. Where is the radio ground wire located?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post
OK, I opened the left hand small cover in the trunk, driver side. Underneath is a storage box.It is connected with 5 push pins. Is the amplifier under this?
Also I pulled the large central panel out of the trunk. On the upper right corner is a silver box with leads. Is this the FRM? Also a black wire is jutting out nearby with an open pink connector. Is this normal or should it be connected to something?
Mikey
P.S. Where is the radio ground wire located?
So you have the raised trim panel? I beleive there is a CD changer under that and then the amp if you have the mid or top level audio system. Base system used deck power so there is no amp in the back.

Under the center trunk panel is one or more of the follow, SAT module, TCU, COMBOX, or MULF.

Sound like your car is prewired for SAT radio (hence the lose connector).

The silver box is either a TCU or MULF. If you have BMW Assist, it's a TCU unit.

The pink connector is a fakra coaxial connector that goes up to the shark fin antenna.

FRM is located behind the driver side footwell trim panel. Same one that has the OBDII port

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
If you look in the trunk, driver side, you will see a panel you can lift up. Under that will be an amp.

Black is HiFi. Silver is L7.
Just for the record, especially since there seems to be so many MY differences, a 2011 328i sedan with standard HiFi (no base stereo offered in USA 2011 328i) has a silver amp (finned unit) under the plastic access panel on the driver side.

Last edited by wilt; 05-14-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
Just for the record, especially since there seems to be so many MY differences, a 2011 328i sedan with standard HiFi (no base stereo offered in USA 2011 328i) has a silver amp (finned unit) under the plastic access panel on the driver side.
That's good to know. Thanks. I did not know that they changed the amp style in the later model years