Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
A/C smells bad

Hi, A/C smells musty when first turned on. Last for a minuet or two then clears up. Is there a filter to charge or clean out procedure to correct this? 2011 328i with 16,000 ml.
Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Get some of this and follow the instructions to the letter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._product_title

I do this every 6 months and it works flawlessly if you follow the directions.

Don't listen to anyone about spraying lysol or other crap into your air intake, you need to remove the bacteria build up around the coil unit.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 05-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Try changing the cabin air filter before doing any kind of treatments.

It's pointless to do a treatment if the smell is coming from the filter and not the duct work.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post

Don't listen to anyone about spraying lysol or other crap into your air intake, you need to remove the bacteria build up around the coil unit.
"Klima-Cleaner is applied by removing the blower fan and inserting the supplied spray tube through the intake vent which leads directly to the evaporator."
"Have a certified mechanic apply product or use einszett 911104 Klima-Cleaner Easy-To-Use (ETU) which doesn't require the removal of glove box to access the blower fan. "

Can you possibly offer a photo or two to illustrate the process of E90 AC deodorizing? or at least a verbal description of where to access in e90 and remove what, before using product?

Last edited by wilt; 05-14-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
"Klima-Cleaner is applied by removing the blower fan and inserting the supplied spray tube through the intake vent which leads directly to the evaporator."
"Have a certified mechanic apply product or use einszett 911104 Klima-Cleaner Easy-To-Use (ETU) which doesn't require the removal of glove box to access the blower fan. "

Can you possibly offer a photo or two to illustrate the process of E90 AC deodorizing? or at least a verbal description of where to access in e90 and remove what, before using product?
This product requires the tube insertion to the center vent, it dispenses the entire can and sits about 20 minutes. Run the A/C for about a minute or two and that's it.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html

Last edited by thekurgan; 05-14-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:

This requires access to the intake plenum and distribution past the blower onto the evaporator. Which is how we do it at my shop. I am not so sure the type which sprays through the center vent can really properly access the evaporator.
If I were the OP I would simply remove the cabin filter, stick the nozzle down as far as possible with the blower on high (DO NOT USE MAX COOL, OR RECIRCULATE!) and empty the can. Chance of success is very high. One other thing, don't let the nozzle get caught up in the blower wheel.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 05-14-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
This requires access to the intake plenum and distribution past the blower onto the evaporator. Which is how we do it at my shop. I am not so sure the type which sprays through the center vent can really properly access the evaporator.
If I were the OP I would simply remove the cabin filter, stick the nozzle down as far as possible with the blower on high (DO NOT USE MAX COOL, OR RECIRCULATE!) and empty the can. Chance of success is very high. One other thing, don't let the nozzle get caught up in the blower wheel.
It seems to work, it's not really a liquid, but a foam once dispensed. If the OP does what you say, with this stuff, it will be an absolute mess.

I followed what this guy did from the 'fest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306897

Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
It seems to work, it's not really a liquid, but a foam once dispensed. If the OP does what you say, with this stuff, it will be an absolute mess.

I followed what this guy did from the 'fest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306897
I wouldn't want a mess, and haven't experienced one, though we do see the occasional bubble of foam come out the vents during the procedure.
There is a drain at the bottom of the evap box, and the evaporator itself tends to collect the foam and liquify it as it passes through the structure. The liquid runs out the drain.

That's my experience, but I'm a trained stunt mechanic. YMMV
Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I wouldn't want a mess, and haven't experienced one, though we do see the occasional bubble of foam come out the vents during the procedure.
There is a drain at the bottom of the evap box, and the evaporator itself tends to collect the foam and liquify it as it passes through the structure. The liquid runs out the drain.

That's my experience, but I'm a trained stunt mechanic. YMMV
Yes, this is a good point, it's probably bacterial and should be caught by something.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I used the 1Z Klima for the first time last year on my old truck, and it worked excellently. The AC is still clean smelling, even without any additional applications. I wish I did it years earlier! I did it on the street, and I could certainly see the product dripping quite a bit underneath the car. I'm recommending this product to any friend who ever complains about smelly AC.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I used the 1Z Klima for the first time last year on my old truck, and it worked excellently. The AC is still clean smelling, even without any additional applications. I wish I did it years earlier! I did it on the street, and I could certainly see the product dripping quite a bit underneath the car. I'm recommending this product to any friend who ever complains about smelly AC.
When you used it, did you inject it thru the center vent, as the video link demonstrated?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Go to NAPA and take a wiff of the AC refrigerant oil. If your oder is similar, your evaporator core is starting to leak.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive pilot View Post
Hi, A/C smells musty when first turned on. Last for a minuet or two then clears up. Is there a filter to charge or clean out procedure to correct this? 2011 328i with 16,000 ml.
Thanks.

Y'know, DP, BMW sells official vent air freshener. Yup, a potpourri of odoriferous emanation!

'Course that doesn't solve the problem. I'd do both.

Does the vent freshener come in strawberry incense?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
When you used it, did you inject it thru the center vent, as the video link demonstrated?
I didn't watch the video, but yes, through the center vent. I've seen people use only perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 the can, but I emptied it all. 16 years makes for many generations of bacterial family!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
IF your car is still under warranty get it to the dealer ... there may be a problem with clogged drains or something else. Messing with it might affect your rights under warranty.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
My 335i A/C has the "dirty sock" smell on occasion as well but it always goes away very quickly after turning the compressor on. "They" all say the best thing to do is to turn the compressor off about a minute before you shut the car off so the system has a chance to dry out all the moisture collected in the condenser, giving mold and other stuff less chance to grow.

FWIW, I just overcame a really bad A/C smell problem in my Toyota 4Runner and I used two different products: this and this. Find the water drain tube underneath the car from the evaporator core and shoot these foam-based products up into it, then let it soak in.

For a really quick attempt at a fix, you could always remove the Microfilter from under the hood, turn the recirculate off, put the fan on high and just spray a bunch of Lysol disinfectant into the fan intake to see if it helps.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I just did this last week. The smell from the cleaner is just starting to go away. I'm thinking maybe my ac drain is clogged. Does that sound right? DX, I wish you wee out this way. You'd get a lot of my business!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
I just did this last week. The smell from the cleaner is just starting to go away. I'm thinking maybe my ac drain is clogged. Does that sound right? DX, I wish you wee out this way. You'd get a lot of my business!

"this" is...
  1. spray in thru center vent
  2. spray down intake after removing microfilter housing
  3. or...?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
"this" is...
  1. spray in thru center vent
  2. spray down intake after removing microfilter housing
  3. or...?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 PM

That's three guys who injected via center vent and claim that it works to deodorize!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
That's three guys who injected via center vent and claim that it works to deodorize!

If you search through different BMW sites, you will find that method is recommended a lot. That's how I discovered it.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
If you search through different BMW sites, you will find that method is recommended a lot. That's how I discovered it.

But you soon learn that there is also a lot of misinterpretations of reality on the internet...
  • not knowing that the 'fan' speed control in 'Auto' A/C mode is quite different on MY2011 than for MY2009, for example
  • the belief that 'higher color temp' is 'brighter' for headlights
  • the understanding of how the blue/red center dial on the center of the dash works

So the wise person reads a lot and even questions the wisdom of some of what has been read.
I frequent photography forums, and there is a frequent misinformation via urban legends there, too!

And because BMW makes changes, what used to be true is not necessarily trueof all MY (the 'fan' speed in 'Auto' A/C is an example). One respected person wrote that silver amp = Harmon Kardon, black amp = HiFi. Yet my 2011 328i has HiFi, not H-K...and its amp is silver

Last edited by wilt; 05-15-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
But you soon learn that there is also a lot of misinterpretations of reality on the internet...
  • not knowing that the 'fan' speed control in 'Auto' A/C mode is quite different on MY2011 than for MY2009, for example
  • the belief that 'higher color temp' is 'brighter' for headlights
  • the understanding of how the blue/red center dial on the center of the dash works

So the wise person reads a lot and even questions the wisdom of some of what has been read.

I frequent photography forums, and there is a frequent misinformation via urban legends there, too!

And because BMW makes changes, what used to be true is not necessarily trueof all MY (the 'fan' speed in 'Auto' A/C is an example). One respected person wrote that silver amp = Harmon Kardon, black amp = HiFi. Yet my 2011 328i has HiFi, not H-K...and its amp is silver

Okay. Thanks for teaching me how to do reasearch ;-)

Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
My 335i A/C has the "dirty sock" smell on occasion as well but it always goes away very quickly after turning the compressor on. "They" all say the best thing to do is to turn the compressor off about a minute before you shut the car off so the system has a chance to dry out all the moisture collected in the condenser, giving mold and other stuff less chance to grow.

FWIW, I just overcame a really bad A/C smell problem in my Toyota 4Runner and I used two different products: this and this. Find the water drain tube underneath the car from the evaporator core and shoot these foam-based products up into it, then let it soak in.

For a really quick attempt at a fix, you could always remove the Microfilter from under the hood, turn the recirculate off, put the fan on high and just spray a bunch of Lysol disinfectant into the fan intake to see if it helps.
Lysol has a nasty smell, and will permeate into the leather.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Sounds like a possible clog, the smell doesn't usually last but a minute or two.