Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
need advice. technician damaged my car during repair

Hello members! I am hoping that some of you may be able to offer some advice for how to handle the issue I am having.

Yesterday I took my 2014 X3 into the dealership to look at my I drive system crashing. It was having the same issues other have noted here (losing bluetooth and then when you tried to reconnect the bluetooth device the who system shut down and restarted). At the end of the day they called me and said they found the issue after taking the center counsel/dash apart. There was a leak from my heating system the was causing the computer to over heat and shut down. I told them that sounded odd since it has happened when I didnt even have the heat on, but said ok because the service department has always been good in the past.

Issue arrived when I went to pick up the car. I get into to leave and see they have caused damage to the inside of the car. The leather is torn on the back of the shifter, the wood is scratched, the leather on the side of the center counsel by your legs is town in a couple places and has two holes punctured in it, by the center counsel storage unit the surface is dented in three places, and their are scratches in the piano black trim by the navi screen. To make matter worse when I started the car the I drive controller will not work at all, the system starts but the controller itself does not accept any commandes. In addition the parking brake and park hold button are not working.

I told them I would not take the car so they gave me a loaner to drive. Unfortunately I had to leave in a hurry because I had to pick up my daughter from day care before they closed. They are going to call me today to discuss what they are going to do to fix everything.

Here is where I need advice. I know they can fix the cosmetic damage, but my real worry is in the electronics they damaged. These are major systems that are now not working because of them working on my car. What should I do or request to make sure no future issue arise because of this?
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
need advice. technician damaged my car during repair

Wow sorry to hear about this issue. First off. Document everything!! Take pictures! That will be huge when come time later down the road. That's the only advice I can help with. When I had issues with my car I wrote my time line of it with detailed pictures on bimmerfest and forwarded the dealer/service center the link. I didn't include the names of the service center but I would have if it wasn't corrected. And in the end everything worked out for me.
You may need to get BMWNA involved if things are not up to your standards. But at least first give them (service center) a chance to make things right.
And last important note. Stay calm! Trust me. My dealer was more scared of me that I stayed calm through out the whole process then getting all worked up even tho I was extremely upset. They are willing to work if you if you aren't yelling at them.

Good luck! Let us know the outcome.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by guyver626; 05-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM

I reread the post and this pisses me off. How the F does the service center not even check things out before handing the keys back to you? Your parking brake not working! It's in worse condition then when you brought it in!! God damn this piss me off. I really hope they work things out with you.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM

I have stayed very calm. I know yelling gets you nowhere and usually causes people not to want to help as much.

the dealership just called me to say they have ordered a new shifter and center counsel to replace the damaged parts. They said this morning when they started the car all electronics were working??? They know they were not working yesterday because I had the service adviser in my car and he saw it was not working.

I am going to the dealership now to take pictures and speak with them in person.
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Is the dealer Perillo? If so, I wouldnt be supised based on other things I've read...
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM

no not Perillo. One of the suburb dealers.

I took some pictures to have documented evidence.

About the parking brake, auto hold, and i drive controller not working. They said they have tested them and all appear to be working fine. I find it odd it did not work and then magically they are now working (again the dealership service adviser was there with me yesterday and saw they were not working). The said they system might just of needed time to reset itself. That sometimes the computer system just needs to completely shut itself off to re-calibrate and for everything to work again.

This sounds fishy to me. When people are sick they rest up and are better, not cars and electronics?!? How is a BMW dealership even putting this forth as an excuse and reason it was not working? However what am I supposed to do tomorrow when I pick it up and everything is working correctly?

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Please post pics of the damages so we all can see please

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Please review the complete service tasks, documentation printouts on the dealer service record receipts and review with some of the bimmer experts here. I am assuming the first day you went to pick up from the dealer, they may have given you the paperwork describing what service actions, maintainence, diagnostic etc checks were made. A phone call to the BMWNA corporate office with these receipts and additional pictures e-mailed to them may be needed depending on how things go in your second visit.

A clear list of your expectations and misgivings so far on what has happened need to be discussed with the manager (not the service advisor...some times, some of them are careless, impolite based on my observations...)

I wish you have a positive outcome soon.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Please let us know who you use, I'm quite interested. Or send me a PM if you don't want to mention it in public.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-15-2014, 05:28 PM

I will get some pictures posted. However the cosmetic damage is not my main concern. They have ordered in all new pieces and are installing them tomorrow. My main concern is the electronic issues. From the first visit the worksheet only showed fixed air vent leak, nothing on what diagnostic testing done on I drive system crashing. Tomorrow when I pick up I will ask for a list of everything done and tested for first issue and the issue they created.

My worry is since it was not doing it this morning they seem to have washed their hands of it. I will ask for a detailed list of all test done and checked. Any thing specific I should ask for?

It is Elmhurst BMW. When my emergency brake lights failed it took two trips for them to fix that correctly. Perhaps that was a sign. .... Also as guyver said I am surprised there wasn't a quality check before giving the car back.

Retired 2008 335 xi

Last edited by bsavage; 05-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: E53
Most likely he forgot to plug in the idrive controller and the parking brake switch.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:10 AM

If so then how did it start working again without them supposedly working on it?

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Electronics & software problems car appear severe but it can easily be something really simple. My car seemed a total mess when I was on a ferry going across a lake, error messages for everything. I restarted the car and all was fine again. If they managed to leave a connector unplugged then the network in the car may have been screwed at that time. I probably seemed worse than it really was. It's hardly great service though....very far from it.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3
from the Electronics stand-point, I had a chassis malfunction code and a recommendation to visit service center and drive carefully notification on Nav screen; I visited hendrick BMW Charlotte then, they looked at the diagnostics and mentioned that the code cleared itself by the time I returned, but could see the silent code still active. As a pro-active measure, they changed the Chassis ECM (electronic control module) and the issue never re-appeared. In my opinion, with the extensive electronics in BMW's..I would consider asking the service staff to replace the main electronic module working with the I drive controller set up.

from my basic engg stand point, electronic issues are isolated to electronic hardware( ECM, connectors, harness); software (existing codes not cleared after diagnostic steps not completed) or incorrect software/calibration with the electronic hardware and or hardware re-boot when the system is turned on (IGNITION ON)

This is based on my engine calibration background.

Often times, I can understand customers panic sitting in the vehicle, but I have worked with different ECUs and sofwtware prototype development, the high level descrition I mentioned above is the most logical step.

the diagnostic tool will print out the codes and defines the corrective steps in their service manual. very rarely, they may see issues which are uncommon and that requires a good service engineer's judgement. Hopefully my 2 cents helps regarding the background description & service staff thought process.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 PM

it takes about 2min's to plug those connectors in, did one myself today actually
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM

So I went yesterday at the agreed upon time for pickup and they were not done! Still had the counsel apart and said they were recoding it. Didn't even call me to not come and pick it up.

I asked them to have a very detailed record of all work done for on Monday when I pick it up.

Why would they need to be re coding anything?

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Well if they replaced your gear shifter it has to be programed to the car, might be what they meant
Old 05-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavage View Post
So I went yesterday at the agreed upon time for pickup and they were not done!
Your BMW dealer make Hyundai dealers look good.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Be sure to fill out the survey and give them what they deserve
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavage View Post

It is Elmhurst BMW. When my emergency brake lights failed it took two trips for them to fix that correctly.
Ahh. I am not surprised at this!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F15 3.5d M-Sport
My two cents, photograph EVERYTHING, particularly the dash cluster and any error codes (in your case, a phone pic of the cluster and screen showing any idrive malfunctions). Be sure to photo the odometer as well. If you have an ongoing headache and eventually need to argue for a vehicle replacement these will establish the initial event.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM

ok. I know this is going to sound like I am making this up, but I swear I am not.

At this point I am beyond frustrated and down right angry.

On Friday when they didnt have my car ready I told him I would be there Monday afternoon to pick it up. I had to go into downtown for a morning meeting (i live in Chicago) and that I should be back in Elmhurst by 1 to pick it up. So I show up at 1:30 to pick it up and ask for my car. The service advisor stares at me blankly and says sorry it is not done yet. We still need to clean it and do a one last over. ON the inside I snapped, but on the outside I just said you have 3 hours and I walked away.

So I show back up at 4:30 and he hands me my keys and a stack of papers with what was done and said here you go. Not even an apology. Doesnt go out to my car with me to go over it with me to make sure I am happy. Nothing. Very unbelievable.

So I am looking over my car and everything looks good. All electronics are functioning and parts replaced that were damaged. Untill I go to the look at the back of the counsel. and I find that they BROKE another piece. In the right side rear passenger foot well is a broken piece of plastic and the cover for the rear of the counsel is not snapped in place because its broken corner is on the floor board.

I tell the SA and he just says ok I will order another new piece and that he would call me the next day to schedule bringing it in. Not even an apology.

SO now it is Thursday and I still havent heard from him. I have been out of town for the last two days for work but am back now and will be headed to the dealership to speak with the service manager.

I just can not believe this is the service that is being given at this dealership.

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Have you file a complaint with BMW of North America yet?

BMW Customer Relations:
1-800-831-1117
customerrelations@bmwusa.com
Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Can you post pics of all the damage they have done? Do you atleast have a loaner car? These is no excuse for this type of service. Speak with the manager and if it was me, I would go on all of the public forums, Facebook etc and any social media and list every person you worked with and state how much of a crap service they have done. It really is terrible.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F15 3.5d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Have you file a complaint with BMW of North America yet?

BMW Customer Relations:
1-800-831-1117
customerrelations@bmwusa.com
Unfortunately it's now appropriate to take this step. Write a detailed letter covering just the facts (dates, errors, broken equipment, etc). I've been there and it's difficult, but don't type angry. The damage to your vehicle and the apparent and utter lack of intent to correct the issues IMO definitely justifies bringing BMW NA into the mix. Hopefully you'll get some action and satisfaction.

Check your manual (back pages) for warranty issues in order to find the contact address and send it certified. With my own issue I also sent an email copy to Cust Relations to get the ball rolling.