Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Bought 05/10/14 07' 328i on a flatbed need help

Hey guys new to this forum! I am an auto/sportbike enthusiast and I recently purchased my first BMW.

Little background on the vehicle- 2007 328I with 74k miles, 2 owners-- 3 years ago it was a certified pre owned. I bought it from a VW dealership in my local area...

Bought it 05/10/2014- I've put 600-700 miles on it and love it. Well yesterday I stopped to get a drink and when I came back out to the car, I started it and it was violent shutter similar to a diesel truck when it started. Curious I let it run for a minute and this red triangle came on, I flipped through the screens to find Low Oil Pressure genie bottle there, as soon as I saw the genie bottle it started ticking and running VERY rough, shut it down immediately. I called the VW dealership and had it towed in to them because they gave me a 3k mile or 3 month powertrain warranty.

Any advice on what to watch out for or what it could be? They're suppose to call me this afternoon to let me know what they discover, they told me they're going to send it to BMW dealership for repair. I wanted this car to last me as I am usually switching cars every few months and finally decided to buy one and keep it, however I don't want them to rig the car to last 3001 miles and then Im out of luck. I know BMW's are expensive as was my Audi, so I knew what I was getting into however 5 days after purchase it's on a flatbed I am worried

Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated and I thank you guys/gals in advance!
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi Coupe
I'm no expert, but I think it might be the famous HPFP.. that is why it was running so rough. Those have 10 year 100000 warranty on them.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 AM

I will look into that! I appreciate your response, I hope whatever it could be is covered under something. Don't really want to shell out much more cash after I just paid for this car. I am hoping to hear back sometime this afternoon to hear what the problem is with it... but fuel pump does make sense with the hard start and rough idling... not sure about the ticking/knocking I felt though
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
No hpfp's in 325,328,330

If it was just shaking it could be coils.
The oil light is not a good indication.
No HPFP's in a non Turbo Motor.
I would inspect under the oil cap for sludge
and the common oil leaks are VCG, Oil filter housing gasket, Head Gasket,
When was the oil changed last?
You need to start monitoring the oil graph.
I would change the plugs as much to see if there is an oil leak in the plug
wells as to put new ones in . An oil leak in the plug wells is not visible without
taking the Engine Cover off and is a common spot to get one.
Its bound to be due for a new battery if it hasn't had one already.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-15-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Happy to be nappy!

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
How do you do that?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewHA View Post
I'm no expert, but I think it might be the famous HPFP.. that is why it was running so rough. Those have 10 year 100000 warranty on them.
Considering the 328i has no HPFP, I don't think its the issue.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewHA View Post
HPFP only exists in 335i model
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 05-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BWM 335i Coupe
It's lucky they gave you the 3k warranty. As long as it isn't something that previous owners neglected, you should be ok. Have them check everything out or have another shop do an independent inspection of the car. As it is still under warranty, the independent inspection results should be honored by the dealership. Have them change the oil too if that is suspect. As mentioned, you do not have a high pressure fuel pump or any of the other turbo recalls.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Sit on @$$ & hit the gas

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
Just out of curiosity where did you buy this car? I just sold a 2007 328i with 74,000 miles that would have listed 2 owners and was a CPO a few years back. Last I knew the car was sitting at a VW dealership right across from a BMW.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 PM

To monitor the oil use the BC stalk controls

To monitor the oil use the BC stalk controls to display
the bar graph which display s the oil level .
It only indicates the last quart of the 7 that are suppose
to be in it. Also the graph is slow to update so don't add
large amounts of oil before driving a few times and checking
the level . There is a kind of a hate relationship going on with
electronic oil level sensor for those of us who like to wrench on our cars and know that
there is oil in the car without intermediary technical bull****. Only a dipstick can provide that kind of
security.

You need to not just read but study the manual on these cars
and then ask questions as there is quirky things going on with them.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-15-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun07 View Post
Hey guys new to this forum! I am an auto/sportbike enthusiast and I recently purchased my first BMW.

Congrats! Now you know why it was available.

So, an issue. Like ctuna says, check coils. In fact, could be a number of things - read codes!

Then look at common problems.

Find the issue?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_boost View Post
Just out of curiosity where did you buy this car? I just sold a 2007 328i with 74,000 miles that would have listed 2 owners and was a CPO a few years back. Last I knew the car was sitting at a VW dealership right across from a BMW.
I bought the car from a VW dealership in Cincinnati, OH... That's pretty close to the exact car haha but I see you're from Oregon
Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If it was just shaking it could be coils.
The oil light is not a good indication.
No HPFP's in a non Turbo Motor.
I would inspect under the oil cap for sludge
and the common oil leaks are VCG, Oil filter housing gasket, Head Gasket,
When was the oil changed last?
I would change the plugs as much to see if there is an oil leak in the plug
wells as to put new ones in . An oil leak in the plug wells is not visible without
taking the Engine Cover off and is a common spot to get one.
Its bound to be due for a new battery if it hasn't had one already.
The Oil graph I checked was like a notch or two from the Maximum, it said OK when I checked it when scrolling through the menu looking for the error code...

Thank you for the tips I will def get to checking those things and relay the info when the people call me so they check everything
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM

UPDATE-- The VW dealership called around noon and towed it to a BMW dealership... The BMW dealership called VW to let them know they would not have an answer today (don't know if they're backed up or the problem is harder to find than just a simple yea here it is?) they said I'd know Monday the Diagnosis. Currently rocking a 2014 Passat haha I miss the bimmer. Hopefully it is covered, I have called a local independent guy who said soon as I get the car back bring it to his shop to give the car a once over and make sure everything is in tip top shape before the warranty runs out. SO thankful this happened now rather than in 6 months with no warranty. Praying that it is power train related so it's covered.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Congrats! Now you know why it was available.

So, an issue. Like ctuna says, check coils. In fact, could be a number of things - read codes!

Then look at common problems.

Find the issue?
Thank you for the links- I may have to get that cable- I have a car computer reader but didn't even put it on this car as I was out on appointments and the reader is in my garage.

Haven't heard back for the issue- apparently it the VW dealership only checked a few things then towed it to the BMW dealership so that it could be checked there, the service manager has been great at keeping me informed and updated, so I hope to hear back Monday about what is going on... Kind of sucks Ive had the car 6 days and it's been in the shop 2 of the 6
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Hey guys update here...

Volkswagen has been dragging their feet so I called up the BMW dealership where my car was towed to... Service manager said they're still diagnosing my car but so far he said the tech has said lifters need replaced... Not sure what else as the tech is still checking the car over.

My question is if/when they replace the lifters will I encounter more problems with the car down the road? I don't want to get into a nightmare with this being the first big issue of many. I ordered my water pump and tstat going to replace those myself once I get my car back. But not sure what to expect with the lifters needing replaced and not positive on what else needs replaced

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Guys,

Went to VW dealership to raise a little cane... well they offered me a $3500 extended service plan for $2150. Plan would be for 36 months and or 36k miles... itll take the car up to 110-111k... I read the plan and it's pretty comprehensive it covers such things as water pump, ac, all major electronis (window motors etc) covers timing chain, power steering, calipers etc. Pretty good plan... what do you guys think should I take this plan? I tried the whole buy the car back and or like vehicle, even tried to swing them on take yours ill take mine but that didn't happen lol I was a little hot when I went in there and they were taken by surprise and they were a stone wall till the GM came in and took me to his office, and he offered me the service plan for dealer cost which would be $2150.

Any advice guys would be great~!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Guys,

Went to VW dealership to raise a little cane... well they offered me a $3500 extended service plan for $2150. Plan would be for 36 months and or 36k miles... itll take the car up to 110-111k... I read the plan and it's pretty comprehensive it covers such things as water pump, ac, all major electronis (window motors etc) covers timing chain, power steering, calipers etc. Pretty good plan... what do you guys think should I take this plan? I tried the whole buy the car back and or like vehicle, even tried to swing them on take yours ill take mine but that didn't happen lol I was a little hot when I went in there and they were taken by surprise and they were a stone wall till the GM came in and took me to his office, and he offered me the service plan for dealer cost which would be $2150.

Any advice guys would be great~!
I'd want to know what was wrong with the car before making the decision.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 PM

When you find out what is wrong with it

When you find out what is wrong with it
then you can consider what to do.
Till then everything is political rhetoric.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Ok, I am supposed to hear back tomorrow morning with the full scope of the problem. I will keep everyone posted... owned the car 11-12 days been in the shop for 7 of those -__- pretty frustrating but I will know more tomorrow and I'll update accordingly!

Thanks guys
Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
So did anybody read the basic code for the warning that came on?

How come the oil warning was just in the screen but not in the instrument cluster? Surely the E90 has low oil pressure warning right there in the cluster.

I would not blindly assume that you can trust the BMW dealer's diagnosis. They might be tempted to replace something random since they know the VW dealer will pick up the bill.

Oh and don't replace the water pump and the thermostat without seriously thinking about at least some of the hoses around them. For all you know you end up with things failing that you touched.

36/36 warrant for $2100 is something I would do if it also covers suspension, e.g. control arms and the like.

Last edited by Squiddie; 05-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:33 AM

It had a triangle come on the screen and when I flipped through the menu the genie bottle I call it was on there looked at the manual it was low oil pressure so I shut it down.

Not sure about the diagnosis BMW has been keeping both VW and I in the dark. Yes $2100 covers things such as drive axle, power steering pump, tie rods tie rod ends etc, also covers alternators, starter motor, front and rear suspension- upper lower control arms, shafts and bearings, upper and lower ball joints, brakes- master cylinder, calipers etc. Fuel pump and fuel sending unit, electrical as in wiper motors window motors. Covers AC compressor, condenser, compressor clutch, blower motor all that good stuff, covers interior and exterior latches, door handles- also included in the extended service plan is all engine seals and gaskets, transmission and transfer case seals and gaskets. Covers timing chain, also covers water pumps.

I just briefly read the brochure they gave me lol

Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
update??
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM

Hey I was just posting an update haha!

Called BMW and spoke with service manager. According to him the tech is still working on it... I told him about the experience I've had so far which is sub par from what it should be and he said I'd have an answer this evening or tomorrow morning... So far I will not buy from that BMW dealership ever even though I bought from the vw dealership the BMW service has been far under what it should be. My parents have bought several bmw's from them with no issues however it seems outside work is beneath them. I will give them till tomorrow before I start really pushing.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Hey I was just posting an update haha!

Called BMW and spoke with service manager. According to him the tech is still working on it... I told him about the experience I've had so far which is sub par from what it should be and he said I'd have an answer this evening or tomorrow morning... So far I will not buy from that BMW dealership ever even though I bought from the vw dealership the BMW service has been far under what it should be. My parents have bought several bmw's from them with no issues however it seems outside work is beneath them. I will give them till tomorrow before I start really pushing.
Keep in mind you're not the customer for this repair, the VW dealer is. Who knows what arrangement they made with BMW.