Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
Exclamation Tire and brake questions!

So, when I'm going anywhere past 30mph and I hit the brakes (not slam on them or anything just normally braking) I feel a thumping/skipping feeling in the brake pedal. I had just recently gotten my car back from the shop (Yesterday actually) and today I took it back to have them take a look, they showed me that the inside of my drivers side tire was completely wasted so that was letting a bunch of air out and possibly could be the cause, they also said that I could need new rotors and maybe brakes. So the first question, where would be the best place to buy some new rotors and brakes for the best price? and I'm thinking of doing it for all 4 wheels. Second question, I'm stuck between buying the Conti ExtremeContact DW and the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, I'm here in Maryland and we do get our fair bit of snow and rain so I'm not really sure which tires would serve me best, I wish not to sacrifice any handling/noise if possible! Thanks guys! Oh also, if you have any other tire suggestions I would love to hear them thanks again!

P.S I'm using tirerack.com to look for tires!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM
bmw330ci04's Avatar
bmw330ci04 bmw330ci04 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 458
Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
youre rotors might be warped, i dont think it has anything to do with the pads, but i could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
In order to check if they are warped and to see how much padding is left on my brakes i just remove the wheel correct? Or is it more to it then that?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
In order to check if they are warped and to see how much padding is left on my brakes i just remove the wheel correct? Or is it more to it then that?
Yes, there`s "more to it" than that....a good place for you to start would be to read the E46 Wiki, that will educate you a bit.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 PM
sunsetcoast sunsetcoast is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SW MI
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: 00 323iT, 99 323i, others
The wiki is your friend.

Nowhere on MD is appropriate for summer-only tires.

And front control arm bushings are probably in your future. Probably control arms too.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 PM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
Thanks fastbob and sunset, I've got all the information I need from the Wiki, and sunset I hope I don't need those any time soon as I've already seen how expensive it can be to do a replacement on those. All that's left now is to find out where I can get good brake pads and rotors from. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
Thanks fastbob and sunset, I've got all the information I need from the Wiki, and sunset I hope I don't need those any time soon as I've already seen how expensive it can be to do a replacement on those. All that's left now is to find out where I can get good brake pads and rotors from. Any ideas?
Most guys do pretty well with www.oembimmerparts.com..... as far as rotors go, Brembo, Zimmerman, Balo are all pretty good, getting ones with anti-rust coating already on them will help with keeping them attractive. For pads, Pagid or Jurid are top performers, but tend to dust a bit more than aftermarket pads, but washing your wheels is a small price to pay for brakes that REALLY stop well....

Don`t forget to bed your new brakes !
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Most guys do pretty well with www.oembimmerparts.com..... as far as rotors go, Brembo, Zimmerman, Balo are all pretty good, getting ones with anti-rust coating already on them will help with keeping them attractive. For pads, Pagid or Jurid are top performers, but tend to dust a bit more than aftermarket pads, but washing your wheels is a small price to pay for brakes that REALLY stop well....

Don`t forget to bed your new brakes !
So I wen't to oembimmerparts.com and found this kit. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Br...brakekitsz.htm it contains the pagid pads and zimmerman rotors, would this be the best pricing i can find? Cause I'm doing a brake refresh and changing both front and back brakes along with the brake fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
So I wen't to oembimmerparts.com and found this kit. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Br...brakekitsz.htm it contains the pagid pads and zimmerman rotors, would this be the best pricing i can find? Cause I'm doing a brake refresh and changing both front and back brakes along with the brake fluid.
For a complete 4-wheel rebuild you can generally expect to pay around $350 to $400 for kits with corrosion-resistant rotors, so you`re right in the ballpark.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
One more question, I was looking at brake fluids and was thinking of using ATE super blue, but read it's been banned? Regardless I know I should use DOT4 fluid but which brand do you guys recommend? Also, I'm getting to order the Conti ExtremeContact DWS from tirerack.com and this little box saying "205/50-17 will not fit on 8" wide wheels. This size requires a minimum of an 89 load index tire." I have stock BMW style 32 rims, would these tires be fine for the rims I'm currently using?

Last edited by WhatDoesThisDo3; 05-16-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added another question.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM
sunsetcoast sunsetcoast is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SW MI
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: 00 323iT, 99 323i, others
Easiest is to pull a wheel and look at the markings stamped on the back.

What size tires are on the wheels now? If they are 8" width, then 225/50-17.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Easiest is to pull a wheel and look at the markings stamped on the back.

What size tires are on the wheels now? If they are 8" width, then 225/50-17.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
8" wheels will easily support a 235/45/17 tire, which would probably be about the ideal size for that application.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
One more question, I was looking at brake fluids and was thinking of using ATE super blue, but read it's been banned? Regardless I know I should use DOT4 fluid but which brand do you guys recommend? Also, I'm getting to order the Conti ExtremeContact DWS from tirerack.com and this little box saying "205/50-17 will not fit on 8" wide wheels. This size requires a minimum of an 89 load index tire." I have stock BMW style 32 rims, would these tires be fine for the rims I'm currently using?
As I wrote above, 235/45/17 would be a good size.

I wasn`t aware that ATE discontinued the Super Blue fluid....try the Super Gold, that`s probably still available.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
So I went to the dealer ship to ask what the right tire size was and they said 225/45/17 and I'm looking at tirerack.com right now and I have these all season tires here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=17 I really wanted the Dunlop SP sport signatures but they are on back order so I just wanted an opinion on which other of these tires is a good substitute, I'm on the verge on either the Pirelli's or the Good year EagleSports, but any other opinions are greatly appreciated! I wish I could use the Conti Extreme ContactDWS but, they don't have the appropiate size for the car.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
So I went to the dealer ship to ask what the right tire size was and they said 225/45/17 and I'm looking at tirerack.com right now and I have these all season tires here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=17 I really wanted the Dunlop SP sport signatures but they are on back order so I just wanted an opinion on which other of these tires is a good substitute, I'm on the verge on either the Pirelli's or the Good year EagleSports, but any other opinions are greatly appreciated! I wish I could use the Conti Extreme ContactDWS but, they don't have the appropiate size for the car.
There`s more than ONE tire dealer out there....I would shop around for those DWSs, they`re worth it.
And, that suggestion regarding the 225/45/17 size is just that, a suggestion....there`s nothing carved in stone saying that`s the ONLY size you can use....235/45/17s would work just fine.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM
WhatDoesThisDo3 WhatDoesThisDo3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
There`s more than ONE tire dealer out there....I would shop around for those DWSs, they`re worth it.
And, that suggestion regarding the 225/45/17 size is just that, a suggestion....there`s nothing carved in stone saying that`s the ONLY size you can use....235/45/17s would work just fine.
Do you know of any other tire dealers out there that you can suggest to find the DWS, I looked for the DWS's on tire rack in both 225/45/17 and 235/45/17 and got no results so any other places I could find them? Thanks FastBob!

EDIT: Just found these on tirerack.com (literally just googled 225/45/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS and they came up) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=245WR7ECDWS These should fit correct? The load index is 91W SL though is that fine? Or do I need the 93W XL rating?

Last edited by WhatDoesThisDo3; 05-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,542
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoesThisDo3 View Post
Do you know of any other tire dealers out there that you can suggest to find the DWS, I looked for the DWS's on tire rack in both 225/45/17 and 235/45/17 and got no results so any other places I could find them? Thanks FastBob!
How`s THIS ?

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...&sku=303166103
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms