Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Muffler/resonator delete?

Hello guys,
I have a 330ci Mpackage and i wanted to make the car sound a bit louder. It has a great start up sound but nothing when its on the road.

I have read about muffler delete and watched videos. Some of it turns out really nice and some not soo well.
The amount of money i have to spend on it isn't too much so thats why this is my only options.
I also ready about the resonator delete, and some say delete the front and some say the rear or both.
What would you guys suggest? i want a bit louder deep noise, not an annoying noise.
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,480
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
headers is the best way to go
and NO, DO NOT DO MUFFLER DELETE, it will sound like a freakin tractor!
deleting resonators is the best way to go, since it's cheap as heck and will get u the results u'r lookin for
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
headers is the best way to go
and NO, DO NOT DO MUFFLER DELETE, it will sound like a freakin tractor!
deleting resonators is the best way to go, since it's cheap as heck and will get u the results u'r lookin for
Well i just bought a magnaflow performance muffler part number 14215.
I am going to put that on and remove the resonator. Hopefully it gives me the sound i am looking for.

I completely agree that muffler delete gives a crappy sound, but i have heard some really good ones.
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,664
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
Well i just bought a magnaflow performance muffler part number 14215.
I am going to put that on and remove the resonator. Hopefully it gives me the sound i am looking for.

I completely agree that muffler delete gives a crappy sound, but i have heard some really good ones.
That's what I did when I first touched my exhaust many years ago. You'll be very happy with it.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2014, 12:05 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
That's what I did when I first touched my exhaust many years ago. You'll be very happy with it.
you have a magna flow performance muffler? same part number or no? and how did it sound like?
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,664
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
you have a magna flow performance muffler? same part number or no? and how did it sound like?
Different style so different part number. But they all sound the same. They just look different that's all. It was a deep sound. No rasp at all as long as you keep your cats on.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Different style so different part number. But they all sound the same. They just look different that's all. It was a deep sound. No rasp at all as long as you keep your cats on.
yea i am keeping everything else, going to do it step by step.
Now that i have heard from you about the muffler, i am really excited and cannot wait to put it on tomorrow ( today is victoria's day so everything is closed)

Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,664
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
yea i am keeping everything else, going to do it step by step.
Now that i have heard from you about the muffler, i am really excited and cannot wait to put it on tomorrow ( today is victoria's day so everything is closed)

Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it
Np man!. I'm trying to find an old video of it that I made so you can hear it. But I'm not home and it doesn't seem to be on my youtube channel anymore. I must of deleted it .

Don't worry though it sounds really damn good!.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM
TacoBuster's Avatar
TacoBuster TacoBuster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Heres mine with resonator delete and magnaflow

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Np man!. I'm trying to find an old video of it that I made so you can hear it. But I'm not home and it doesn't seem to be on my youtube channel anymore. I must of deleted it .

Don't worry though it sounds really damn good!.
thanks man! i will record a video once i put mine on
and @tacobuster, that sounds good! you should take out your resonator! i will sound even louder than what you have at the moment

btw this is what i got for $70

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-pa...fler/590755316
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg

Last edited by isthatalibaba; 05-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 PM
TacoBuster's Avatar
TacoBuster TacoBuster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
thanks man! i will record a video once i put mine on
and @tacobuster, that sounds good! you should take out your resonator! i will sound even louder than what you have at the moment

btw this is what i got for $70

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-pa...fler/590755316

I did delete my rear resonator
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBuster View Post
I did delete my rear resonator
okay and also i just realized that i have a duel exhaust, two pipes coming to the muffler.. but the muffler i got now is a single entry and single exit.. :/ dammit lol rookie mistake
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-2014, 12:51 AM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,480
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
I completely agree that muffler delete gives a crappy sound, but i have heard some really good ones.
well it sounds good when u'r not sitting inside the car, and just for flyby's... let me know how it sounds after driving it for a week, and going uphill
actually it won't be a nuisance anymore after a month, since u won't be able to hear anything anymore
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
TacoBuster's Avatar
TacoBuster TacoBuster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
okay and also i just realized that i have a duel exhaust, two pipes coming to the muffler.. but the muffler i got now is a single entry and single exit.. :/ dammit lol rookie mistake

I have the same setup.. Single entry and exit as a temporary.. Im making my own custom setup.. Should sound nice with the custom Quad tip im going to do
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM
isthatalibaba isthatalibaba is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 111
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330CI M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBuster View Post
I have the same setup.. Single entry and exit as a temporary.. Im making my own custom setup.. Should sound nice with the custom Quad tip im going to do
well i guess i can't put this single entry and exit muffler then right?
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526849_10151979475939340_2082256968_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM
TacoBuster's Avatar
TacoBuster TacoBuster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatalibaba View Post
well i guess i can't put this single entry and exit muffler then right?

Yes you can.. You just need to get a Y connection to make it into a single exhaust..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM
japanrot325ci japanrot325ci is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: '04 325ci
magnaflow 14215 is a single/single

you need a dual/dual

single/single is fine but you'll wont get the best performance out of it. it will still sound nice

like previous post said, if you delete your rear resnator, you're going to have to get a Y pipe to connect that muffler to the mid section which is no big deal. one loss is that you'll get one single tip instead of a dual tip.

i have the magnaflow 14815 and it's a single/dual. and ave a Y pipe, i feel abit more torque in the rear end. it sounds nice but kinda too quiet at idle and over 3k rpm so plan on getting on some headers

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms