Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
My 330i overheated and started smoking, there is a leak as well...this light came on

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1400250457.872998.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	439958


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 AM
meanda meanda is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: bmw
i have the same problem, car over heats quickly (no white smoke from mine but a little condensation) white smoke could mean the head gasket. check your oil see if its milky
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 AM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,470
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_330i View Post
Attachment 439958


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You probably blew the expansion tank. see the e46 wiki cooling section.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,633
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Sadly, I passed an E39 530i yesterday afternoon that was spilling it's coolant all over the lane. Poor woman looking under the hood... bet they hadn't done a cooling system refresh.

You need to replace whatever has broken - likely the expansion tank or radiator, but also all the hoses including the heater hose at the back of the engine. Unless the radiator or tank is new (because it's already failed and been replaced), replace both of them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,689
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
My 330i overheated and started smoking, there is a leak as well...this light ...

The light means the coolant level is low. The smoke was likely steam from spilling coolant. Hopefully you stopped driving the car immediately. Driving these cars on low coolant will result in a dead engine. The good news is if the engine is unharmed, refreshing the cooling system is not difficult nor terribly expensive. Here is what I would advise:

1. Do not drive the car.
2. Read the cooling system section of the E46 wiki, then read the whole thing to learn more about your car:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
3a. Get car towed to a qualified BMW mechanic to have the damage assessed. Hopefully engine is safe. If that's the case, you will likely need a cooling system refresh. If you have followed step 2 you will understand why it is to your advantage to replace more than one part.
3b. If you are handy and you've determined the engine is safe & sound, order the cooling system refresh kit from the link below and spend a weekend day installing it. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...rts_s/1863.htm
4. Don't be a stranger. Check back and let us know the outcome.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________




Last edited by FredoinSF; 05-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
how much approxmately would i be spending, worst case scenario?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
The light means the coolant level is low. The smoke was likely steam from spilling coolant. Hopefully you stopped driving the car immediately. Driving these cars on low coolant will result in a dead engine. The good news is if the engine is unharmed, refreshing the cooling system is not difficult nor terribly expensive. Here is what I would advise:

1. Do not drive the car.
2. Read the cooling system section of the E46 wiki, then read the whole thing to learn more about your car:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
3a. Get car towed to a qualified BMW mechanic to have the damage assessed. Hopefully engine is safe. If that's the case, you will likely need a cooling system refresh. If you have followed step 2 you will understand why it is to your advantage to replace more than one part.
3b. If you are handy and you've determined the engine is safe & sound, order the cooling system refresh kit from the link below and spend a weekend day installing it. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...rts_s/1863.htm
4. Don't be a stranger. Check back and let us know the outcome.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
yea i couldnt have drove for more than half a mile when i realized it was overheating and smoking, i turned it off and had it towed home
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,470
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
The light means the coolant level is low. The smoke was likely steam from spilling coolant. Hopefully you stopped driving the car immediately. Driving these cars on low coolant will result in a dead engine. The good news is if the engine is unharmed, refreshing the cooling system is not difficult nor terribly expensive. Here is what I would advise:

1. Do not drive the car.
2. Read the cooling system section of the E46 wiki, then read the whole thing to learn more about your car:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
3a. Get car towed to a qualified BMW mechanic to have the damage assessed. Hopefully engine is safe. If that's the case, you will likely need a cooling system refresh. If you have followed step 2 you will understand why it is to your advantage to replace more than one part.
3b. If you are handy and you've determined the engine is safe & sound, order the cooling system refresh kit from the link below and spend a weekend day installing it. http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...rts_s/1863.htm
4. Don't be a stranger. Check back and let us know the outcome.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app




Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_330i View Post
how much approxmately would i be spending, worst case scenario?
At 175k, you need the whole kit that includes the rad. I want to say $6-700 for the parts. But you may have had stuff replaced not that long ago so use the kit as a guide and then figure out what you do or don't need by checking against the wiki and the threads linked in there.

or, thousands if the HG blew.... be it rebuild, or used or new engine.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-16-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 PM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
radiator and upper and lower hoses are all new, just figured out that it was the coolant reservoir that has a crack in it
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 AM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post





At 175k, you need the whole kit that includes the rad. I want to say $6-700 for the parts. But you may have had stuff replaced not that long ago so use the kit as a guide and then figure out what you do or don't need by checking against the wiki and the threads linked in there.

or, thousands if the HG blew.... be it rebuild, or used or new engine.
Got the coolant reservoir replaced, she's now back on the road and running like a champ.... and it only cost me $150 to get it all done parts included.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,633
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_330i View Post
Got the coolant reservoir replaced, she's now back on the road and running like a champ.... and it only cost me $150 to get it all done parts included.
Good job! Those coolant tanks are baaaaad.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 AM
bimmer_330i bimmer_330i is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland, USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Good job! Those coolant tanks are baaaaad.
yeaa theyre made of plastic so they tend to wear over time
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms