Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: Coming Soon...
Thinking of jumping into BMW- 2007 328xi. Feedback appreciated!

Hello everyone!

New to the forum, and BMW in general. I've been car shopping for a few weeks and honestly just started looking at BMW a few days ago. The prices are much more reasonable than I had anticipated.

I come from a sports car family. Dad collects Mustangs, mom drives an M37s (since a tornado destroyed her G35...), so I've been craving a sportier ride for a while now. For your own reference, the Honda Element is a great vehicle, but it doesn't drive like a sports car. Take that to the bank! (/implied sarcasm)

So I drove this 2007 328xi yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and I'm feeling like it's going to be a good car for me. Take a look:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=84620738

Right now their OTD price is $16900. They only have one key for the car, so I would need to buy a second one, and the local BMW dealership quoted $250 for the key and programming (though I will probably purchase it and program it myself if possible)

I was wondering what you all thought of that car particularly and what a good price out the door would be. I'm leaning more towards $16000, though I'm not sure they will go that low. I do know that I want them to throw in an oil change and have the technician walk me through the process so I can do it myself in the future.

Also, I will be looking at the car today. After doing some searching on the forums, I plan to invest in my own code reader. I will also be looking for sludge under the oil cap. Is there anything else that I should look at before I buy?

I'm also just wanting to confirm that acceleration modulation is a common thing with these cars. I've read lots of reviews that said this, and it may be redundant, but I'm just wanting to double check that with real world drivers.
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBiE0311 View Post
Hello everyone!

New to the forum, and BMW in general. I've been car shopping for a few weeks and honestly just started looking at BMW a few days ago. The prices are much more reasonable than I had anticipated.

I come from a sports car family. Dad collects Mustangs, mom drives an M37s (since a tornado destroyed her G35...), so I've been craving a sportier ride for a while now. For your own reference, the Honda Element is a great vehicle, but it doesn't drive like a sports car. Take that to the bank! (/implied sarcasm)

So I drove this 2007 328xi yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and I'm feeling like it's going to be a good car for me. Take a look:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=84620738

Right now their OTD price is $16900. They only have one key for the car, so I would need to buy a second one, and the local BMW dealership quoted $250 for the key and programming (though I will probably purchase it and program it myself if possible)

I was wondering what you all thought of that car particularly and what a good price out the door would be. I'm leaning more towards $16000, though I'm not sure they will go that low. I do know that I want them to throw in an oil change and have the technician walk me through the process so I can do it myself in the future.

Also, I will be looking at the car today. After doing some searching on the forums, I plan to invest in my own code reader. I will also be looking for sludge under the oil cap. Is there anything else that I should look at before I buy?

I'm also just wanting to confirm that acceleration modulation is a common thing with these cars. I've read lots of reviews that said this, and it may be redundant, but I'm just wanting to double check that with real world drivers.
It's already been reduced to 15.5k, I would offer 13k and go from there. The key from the dealer is probably $250, unless it has comfort access, all you have to do to program it is to stick the key in the ignition and it's done.

Get a pre prurchase inspection and see if the water pump and battery have been replaced, it not, it's time to. The battery will run about $500 at a dealer for the battery and programming.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post

Get a pre prurchase inspection and see if the water pump and battery have been replaced, it not, it's time to. The battery will run about $500 at a dealer for the battery and programming.

Would I get that done at the BMW dealership? How much does a pre-purchase inspection cost, if anything?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Would I get that done at the BMW dealership? How much does a pre-purchase inspection cost, if anything?
Find a BMW independent mechanic if possible. Prices will vary between $150-200 or so. They will be able to tell you what the car will need in the near future maintenance wise, it's its ever been in an accident ext.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Ask them how long it's been on their lot, if it has been more than 30 days low ball the $hit outta them start off at $12500, just a reference, I just bought a 2007 328i with 74k for $12k out the door, that is tax, title, doc fee etc... granted that one is all wheel drive it's a little high on price, try to do $14000 out the door... if you have to $14500 would be the highest I'd go or I'd walk away.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Went and test drove the vehicle again today. Looks great inside and out.

I asked the dealer if they could verify that the battery and water pump had been replaced. They said that they wouldn't bother the previous owner until we agreed on numbers. I told them that if they couldn't verify then I was at $15,500 OTD and if they could verify the parts had been replaced I was at $16,000 OTD.

They said the best they could do was $16,500 either way, so I walked.

This makes the fourth vehicle in two months that people have let me walk away from because of less than $1000 difference between their asking price and my top dollar. I'm bewildered by this a little bit. I keep hearing about people getting great deals and thousands off asking price, but nothing going for me. Not sure if I'm just terrible at this or if the dealers just don't like me. This time we were $500 apart and they wouldn't budge.

So who is crazy in this situation, them or me??
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Personally I think they let you walk because you already opted your price $500 if they said yea it's been replaced so they figured you'd cave in and buy it for their "bottom dollar"

On the car I bought they were asking a little over $15000 I believe and online price was $14500 if that tells you anything, final price out the door with tax title doc fee etc. $12k

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Here's a tip i do, Deal with the sales manager directly... Cut out the sales guy... Tomorrow call up and ask to speak to used car manager, tell him hey I want your 07 bimmer for $15k out the door. I'll come buy it right now if you can meet that number, if he can he will if not walk away. He won't know you were the guy from the day before or if he does say well yesterday you offered $16k say ya that was before the sales guy wouldn't work with me. You wanna sell the car I want to buy it work with me on the price and we gotta deal.

My case was I went test drove it on a Friday evening, the cars brakes were horrible. I said fix the brakes and take $11k we gotta deal, they said no way... I walked out... About a week went by and I saw it still sitting there so I called up and spoke to the used car sales manager... Told him the car needed brakes etc. Told him do the figures yada yada he came back at $12k out the door AND they put all new brake pads and turned the front rotors and replaced the rear rotors.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Sit on @$$ & hit the gas

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
The Carfax doesn't look bad. They listed the car on 4/29/14. I'm honestly a little shocked that they let you walk over $500. When I bought my 2007 328i last March, with only the cold weather package, they had it listed for $18,000 and I walked out the door at $16,200. The car was on the lot for 3 months though. I second the pre-purchase inspection though another dealer. Just don't do what I did when buying my 07 by not giving myself enough time to research more about BMWs and what options and models were available.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Just got a text from the salesman. I just don't get these guys....

Salesman: "Good morning Jake. This is ______ from Cross Jeep. Heard I missed you last night. just wanted to touch base and see whats going on with the BMW"

Me: "I put a few offers on the table. $15,500 OTD if they couldn't confirm/ provide proof that the battery and the water pump had been replaced. $16,000 OTD if they could provide proof. They said the lowest they could go either way was $16,500 OTD, so I left. Unless we can get that price down, I'm passing. Shame too. I was prepared to buy last night."

Salesman: "I completely understand...unfortunately our research doesn't support that low of a price and we do not have that kind of mark up in our vehicles as we are a family business. If you come up with a more reasonable [offer] I will be happy to work for ya.... Thanks again and good luck in your search!"

Not going to lie, that kind of pissed me off. I've never been a BMW guy, but a quick tour of the internet yesterday and suddenly I know more than the sales manager or salesmen ever knew about the car. I also looked up what they were actually selling for, as opposed to their computer pricing program (that they've bragged about to me twice in two days...) which looks up only what other dealerships are listing similar vehicles for. There is so much that I want to say to this guy, but I guess it's always better not to burn bridges or whatever. I'm just amazed though.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
The vehicle is no longer listed for sale. Did you end up purchasing it?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Nope. I would've bought it Friday, but they wouldn't come off their $500 high horse so I missed out.

I do genuinely wonder what the person who bought it paid.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Now I'm going to buy a car tomorrow. Chances are it's going to be a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 with 90k miles on it.

The other option is a 2006 BMW 328i with 128k miles on it. Seen here:
http://samswope.com/Used-2006-BMW-32...KY/vd/20441630

It is in their wholesale pricing. This means that there is some problem with the vehicle that they didn't want to fix. It could be anything from needs a new water pump to needs a new set of tires. My first inclination is that it's probably not worth the potential problems. Second thought is that I've loved all of the BMWs I've driven, and I could pocket the $1000 difference in price to pay for any future repairs.

But the best bet is to go with the Mazda, get my wife's $25,000 Edge paid off and then get a 2013 335i derive that will be coming off lease when I'm ready to buy in another two years.

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Nope. I would've bought it Friday, but they wouldn't come off their $500 high horse so I missed out.

I do genuinely wonder what the person who bought it paid.
Presumably they paid at least $16,500 for it. While I don't mean to be too harsh it appears the dealers asking price was reasonable given how quickly they sold it (relative to your first post).
Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Presumably they paid at least $16,500 for it. While I don't mean to be too harsh it appears the dealers asking price was reasonable given how quickly they sold it (relative to your first post).

Would appear so. I would've gone to $16,500, but I was worried about the battery and the water pump, not to mention the general lack of service records.

But I hope the buyer enjoys it, and that nothing goes wrong with it!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
This makes the fourth vehicle in two months that people have let me walk away from because of less than $1000 difference between their asking price and my top dollar. I'm bewildered by this a little bit. I keep hearing about people getting great deals and thousands off asking price, but nothing going for me. Not sure if I'm just terrible at this or if the dealers just don't like me.
Once you noodle around with the car for a long time they know you are invested. If you took it to an independent inspection your negotiation position goes to hell entirely.

Dealers selling 7 year old cars are generally not impressed when you want to lower the price for defective items because, well, sometime is wrong with it one way or another whether you find it or not.

If you took it to an inspection and the best you came up with is stuff that isn't even broken, but you would want it changed to prevent future damage, then they know you will be hard pressed to find a better car. They would be insane to give in.

To you 16500 to 16000 might look like a 3% difference. To them it might make the difference between earning 1000 or earning 500, so to them it looks like a 100%/50% difference.