Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi
Brake fluid flush?

I dropped my car off for a tech inspection required by the CCA. One of the items on the list is documented proof that the brake fluid has been flushed and filled in the last 12 months.

Is it really necessary to do it that often? They want to charge me $157 to do it. At this point I'd rather take the fail.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Expansion Tank Replacement, DISA Valve upgrade, Headlight Washer Nozzles, Front Control Arms/Bushings/Ball Joints, Sway Bar End Links, Coolant System overhaul, Final Stage Resistor replacement, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Every two years is reasonable for normal street driving. Tracking your car usually requires more frequent flushing. Buy 2 liters of ATE Blue or Gold fluid, and do it yourself to save some dough....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
If it's your first track event be aware that even though they give you that checklist for your mechanic to sign off on they usually check them at the track too. If you haven't changed the fluid they may not let you run. A pressure bleeder like we and I'm sure others sell makes quick work of it and it's not hard at all to do. We have a DIY video on our blog.

http://blog.bavauto.com/9996/bmw-and...ush-diy-video/

The two different colors of ATE fluid used to make it even easier to do. But the blue fluid is no longer sold in the US. I would suggest a good quality fluid like the ATE gold though. It handles track use a lot better than a generic dot 4.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Old 05-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Thanks guys! Just out of curiousity, since the tech sheet says "documented" proof of flushing, how do you make that work with a DIY?

This time around is not a huge concern for me. We're participating in the Car Control Clinic which does not technically require the tech report. With all the work I've done on the car recently I thought it would be worth the $35 just to have someone go over the car and check all the things I haven't thought of... more for peace of mind than requirement.

If I end up taking this car to any track events, I'll make sure it get's done... I'll probably do pads and rotors before that point as well... I'm guessing next year since the summer is pretty full up with other stuff.

Thanks again!
Expansion Tank Replacement, DISA Valve upgrade, Headlight Washer Nozzles, Front Control Arms/Bushings/Ball Joints, Sway Bar End Links, Coolant System overhaul, Final Stage Resistor replacement, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325ci
It depends on who did the DIY, but you may be able to talk with the tech inspector and explain how you did it and have them visually inspect. Do not claim you did if you did not, if they find otherwise on the visual you don't want to be remembered as a liar. The safety of everyone on the track depends on each person's brakes.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
It depends on who did the DIY, but you may be able to talk with the tech inspector and explain how you did it and have them visually inspect. Do not claim you did if you did not, if they find otherwise on the visual you don't want to be remembered as a liar. The safety of everyone on the track depends on each person's brakes.
No, no... I wouldn't do that. My wife and I just got done watching Rush, and Senna back to back. I think I'll take track (and road) safety over convenience any day.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenshi View Post
Thanks guys! Just out of curiousity, since the tech sheet says "documented" proof of flushing, how do you make that work with a DIY?.

Thanks again!
Show the receipt for the brake fluid, and have someone make a video of you changing the fluid. That should be proof enough.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM

I just got a report back on the car...

Front crank seal is leaking
Left front axcel boot is cracked
Two power steering lines leaking
possible leak in exhaust cam sensor (I think that's leftovers from the vanos/valve cover gasket job)
AND, my oil pressure switch is disconnected (I know what this is from... the bastards at the place I bought it from couldn't fix the flickering oil light, so they disconnected it )

Looks like I have more projects to do! Woo Hoo!

NOTE! None of this (with the exception of the the possible exhaust cam sensor thing) has anything to do with the work I've recently done... I'm feeling pretty good about this!

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 05-18-2014, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
I just got a report back on the car...

Front crank seal is leaking
Left front axcel boot is cracked
Two power steering lines leaking
possible leak in exhaust cam sensor (I think that's leftovers from the vanos/valve cover gasket job)
AND, my oil pressure switch is disconnected (I know what this is from... the bastards at the place I bought it from couldn't fix the flickering oil light, so they disconnected it )

Looks like I have more projects to do! Woo Hoo!

NOTE! None of this (with the exception of the the possible exhaust cam sensor thing) has anything to do with the work I've recently done... I'm feeling pretty good about this!
Gawd they are thorough...it sounds like good PM consists of signing up for a track event and going thru a tech inspection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenshi
Is it really necessary to do it that often? They want to charge me $157 to do it. At this point I'd rather take the fail.
As for $157 from them to do it, nice price compared to the $183 I paid to dealer in SF Bay area back in 2011 (I sold the car in 2013 before getting it done again.)

Note the information regarding brake fluid temperatures as water accumulates in brake fluid and reduces its boiling temperature. Water contamination increases the danger of brake failure because vapor pockets can form if the fluid gets too hot, and you are really heating up the brakes on the track. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=2

Last edited by wilt; 05-18-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
I dropped my car off for a tech inspection required by the CCA. One of the items on the list is documented proof that the brake fluid has been flushed and filled in the last 12 months.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Always change brake/clutch fluid annually. A lot cheaper than master cylinders, brake cylinders etc etc and ensures maximum braking performance
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaMPM View Post
Always change brake/clutch fluid annually. A lot cheaper than master cylinders, brake cylinders etc etc and ensures maximum braking performance
Brake cylinders?? That's really old school. Pics please?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Brake cylinders?? That's really old school. Pics please?
Would you like a side order of brake shoes with those cylinders ?

Now, excuse me while I play my (brake) drums.....

(Don`t laugh....I think I still have a brake cylinder hone somewhere among my tools )

Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Would you like a side order of brake shoes with those cylinders ?

Now, excuse me while I play my (brake) drums.....

(Don`t laugh....I think I still have a brake cylinder hone somewhere among my tools )
Bottle brush or stones? I actually still have both, at least the bottle brush works good on lifter bores.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Calipers, wheel cylinders it's all semantics. Change your fluid, it's cheap!