Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 528e
Right rear brake binding

I just replaced the caliper, flushed system, (but I didn't replace pads or rotor yet since I wanted to see if it was still binding and didn't want to waste a brand new rotor) and it is still scraping as a drive don the road. Would replacing the pads and rotor keep it from sticking or is this something else? I don't think its the master cylinder because it's only the right rear. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer528e View Post
I just replaced the caliper, flushed system, (but I didn't replace pads or rotor yet since I wanted to see if it was still binding and didn't want to waste a brand new rotor) and it is still scraping as a drive don the road. Would replacing the pads and rotor keep it from sticking or is this something else? I don't think its the master cylinder because it's only the right rear. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
My bet is the piston is stuck or sticking because of crud and corrosion. I would rebuild both rears (fairly easy and inexpensive) or get a pair of rebuilt calipers. You might as well replace your rubber brake hoses while you are in there (inner and outer); they are probably very brittle and prone to leaking if they are the originals and also not expensive either. Breaking the connections loose from the hard lines can be challenging on an old car, so be prepared and make sure you use the correct flarenut wrenches. I had to replace all of mine but now my brakes work excellently.

Last edited by catso; 05-24-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 528e
hey thanks. So what you're telling me is that the new caliper I put on there was a dud? If that's the case don't order from brakeperformance. I just found out they messed up on drilling the lug holes on the rotors they sent me and their customer service is pretty slow in getting back to me too. Ever hear of a1cardone brand? they have remanufactured calipers for 30 bucks. I don't have the time to do it myself. How are they in quality?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer528e View Post
hey thanks. So what you're telling me is that the new caliper I put on there was a dud? If that's the case don't order from brakeperformance. I just found out they messed up on drilling the lug holes on the rotors they sent me and their customer service is pretty slow in getting back to me too. Ever hear of a1cardone brand? they have remanufactured calipers for 30 bucks. I don't have the time to do it myself. How are they in quality?
I have used Cardone stuff on other cars, it should be OK, but you can usually check if the piston moves in and out smoothly by compressing it.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
Rear brake binding

Have you removed the rear disc rotor and checked to see if the parking brake shoes are in good order and not seized up, This is a common problem on these brakes because nobody seems to ever check and service them, peter
Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
+1 on checking the parkbrake parts, adjustment and actuation. Pull off the primary brake caliper and see if the disc turns freely. If it does it's the caliper. If it is stiff and rubbing its the park brake..
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i