Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-03-2004, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Post Need suggestion - bad service experience

All -

Need your help! You will not believe this BMW service visit.

Bottom line -
kept my car over a week for inspection I service
completely rude service advisor when I called to find out where's my car
two un-returned calls to service manager asking for explanation
they left rollerblades in the trunk of my car
and put over 80 miles on it....!!!!

Who can I call?

The facts -
Friday: took in my 2000 3 series for inspection I service. Bought my car
at this dealer 5 years ago and had it serviced there ever since. Being early for
my appt, the advisor told me I was 'taking up someone else's 10 minutes' and he'd
have to rush me through (off to a bad start). Can't finish friday - so bring back the
enterprise rent-a-car and trade for BMW loaner for weekend.

Next Tues pm - I call to check on my car. Service tech tells me the leaking window
problem won't be covered by BMW unless I can prove they've worked on the windows.
They had and I ask him to check my record on the computer. Finds nothing. I ask for car
by Thurs pm - going out of town.

Thurs pm - call advisor multiple times - no call back. Finally call front desk on my way
to get my car. Girl tells me car is not ready. Fine - I agree to pick it up the following
Monday pm when I'm back in town.

Monday pm - multiple calls to advisor to confirm car ready - no call back. Call front desk
on my way to pick up car - girl says not ready. Leave advisor another message - where
is my car? Finally hear from advisor - as I'm asking what is the problem - tells me there
is "someone on hold and someone else at my desk". I don't care about that. Where is
my car? Tells me Tues by 4:30 and he'll call to tell me final price. Advisor again states
that leaking window won't be covered unless I can prove they worked on it. I call servive
manager, ask him to call me back and I want my car.

Tues am - I dig out my records and call advisor with service invoice number showing they
worked on my windows. Why couldn't he find that in his computer? Advisor again starts
the conversation with "I'm really busy right now but if you make it quick....".

Tues pm - I go to pick up my car. Before I leave, I check the trunk and find two pairs
of roller blades. I don't own any roller blades. I check the mileage from the invoice
when I brought it in and compare it sitting there in the parking lot - 83 miles added...

I am not making this up..... Who can I call about this?

Thanks for any suggestions! Kev
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad
All -

Bottom line -
kept my car over a week for inspection I service
completely rude service advisor when I called to find out where's my car
two un-returned calls to service manager asking for explanation
they left rollerblades in the trunk of my car
and put over 80 miles on it....!!!!

Who can I call?

The facts -
Friday: took in my 2000 3 series for inspection I service. Bought my car
at this dealer 5 years ago and had it serviced there ever since. Being early for
my appt, the advisor told me I was 'taking up someone else's 10 minutes' and he'd
have to rush me through (off to a bad start). Can't finish friday - so bring back the
enterprise rent-a-car and trade for BMW loaner for weekend.

Next Tues pm - I call to check on my car. Service tech tells me the leaking window
problem won't be covered by BMW unless I can prove they've worked on the windows.
They had and I ask him to check my record on the computer. Finds nothing. I ask for car
by Thurs pm - going out of town.

Thurs pm - call advisor multiple times - no call back. Finally call front desk on my way
to get my car. Girl tells me car is not ready. Fine - I agree to pick it up the following
Monday pm when I'm back in town.

Monday pm - multiple calls to advisor to confirm car ready - no call back. Call front desk
on my way to pick up car - girl says not ready. Leave advisor another message - where
is my car? Finally hear from advisor - as I'm asking what is the problem - tells me there
is "someone on hold and someone else at my desk". I don't care about that. Where is
my car? Tells me Tues by 4:30 and he'll call to tell me final price. Advisor again states
that leaking window won't be covered unless I can prove they worked on it. I call servive
manager, ask him to call me back and I want my car.

Tues am - I dig out my records and call advisor with service invoice number showing they
worked on my windows. Why couldn't he find that in his computer? Advisor again starts
the conversation with "I'm really busy right now but if you make it quick....".

Tues pm - I go to pick up my car. Before I leave, I check the trunk and find two pairs
of roller blades. I don't own any roller blades. I check the mileage from the invoice
when I brought it in and compare it sitting there in the parking lot - 83 miles added...

I am not making this up..... Who can I call about this?

Thanks for any suggestions! Kev
I'm selling my 330i.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
1.) Call the General Manager to make a formal complaint regarding the service and behavior, and why you will not be a returning customer of the dealership.
2.) If you happen to receive a call or mail for a service rating, give them 1's down the line and state why.
3.) Find a new dealer.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:58 PM
aka Turd Ferguson

Send a message via AIM to AsianImage
Mein Auto: Excellence
I agree with the above....since you just had service...BMW NA will call you for service. GIVE THEM 5s...and then tell the operator that you want a formal complaint. They will totally listen to you and compensate with something.

Also check your manual...there should be a # for the customer relations at corporate that you can call. I just read my CPO info and it states pretty clearly...all matters of your car should be directed to a dealer or authorized service center. If you do not find good service call BMW directly.

Good luck...and keep us posted!

ps. The rollerblades in the trunk would of gotten me. I personally would not of LEFT...I would of stayed and talked to the GM. let him see the mileage and the blades...no way I would of went home.

IMG_4675
Old 11-03-2004, 02:07 PM
325iT got "back"

Mein Auto: 325iT Kid Transport Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedmind
3.) Find a new dealer.
I hate to say it, but in all honesty this is the only way I've managed to maintain my sanity in regard to the poor / inconsistent / rude / incompetent / lazy service you see at some dealers. I've recently switched to another local dealer, and have been much happier, but my loyalty to any given dealer is zero.

BTW, I would have kept the rollerblades. You rent my car? I keep your blades.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
My first advice to you is that no matter what you decide to do about this make sure you stay clam and keep your cool. The rollerblades and 80 miles put on the car, for me is what puts this situation over the top. Talk to the GM of the dealership and BMWNA. If that doesn't make this right for you, contact your local newspapers and tell them your story and see if they will let you publish your story. Maybe you could organize somekind of an event where you and others would pickett (sp?) in front of the dealership with signs and print out some flyers you could hand out telling the story. If you have a good lawyer you could allways tell him/her the story and see if there are any remedies available. Let us know how this works out for you.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Your experiences with a your dealer (I hate to say it) sound kinda typical. I would definitly give them poor servce rating and find a good Independent shop. As far as finding the rollerblades in your car, that sounds like a big legal issue. If someone used your car for personal use I would consider it theft. You have no idea how these people drove your car for those 80 miles. A lawyer maybe a worthy expense when compared to the expensive damage that could have been done. I know its going to be hard, but keep your cool, and remember a calm mind makes more rational and thought out decisions. Good Luck, and keep us informed!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Your experiences with a your dealer (I hate to say it) sound kinda typical. I would definitly give them poor servce rating and find a good Independent shop. As far as finding the rollerblades in your car, that sounds like a big legal issue. If someone used your car for personal use I would consider it theft. You have no idea how these people drove your car for those 80 miles. A lawyer maybe a worthy expense when compared to the expensive damage that could have been done. I know its going to be hard, but keep your cool, and remember a calm mind makes more rational and thought out decisions. Good Luck, and keep us informed!
it's amazing what some people seem to get away with, 'punish the victum' mentality really blows the part that really bothers me is that their isn't always something you can do to prevent it, you can shop around but thats it.
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 11-03-2004, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci
Save yourself the aggravation. BMWNA couldnt care less. I hate to admit it but its true.

I have found tools in my car, spare parts (not even from my car) had them take it for an unexplained 30 mile test drive. BMWNA just doesnt give sh!t what the dealers do.

the last visit I had with my dealer they neglected to replace 3 lug nuts on one wheel, 3 others on the remaining wheels and overtorqued the rest, contacted dealer, no reply. Contacted dealer again, no reply. Called NA and was told my dealer (PARK AVE BMW) had very poor CSI numbers and that I should find another dealer WTF?.

I love my car, I really do. I find it hard to put into words how much joy it brings me but I cannot justify the absolutely horrible experience of being a BMW owner when it comes to service. I get better service from my lawn mower repair shop. I will be trying a new dealer (JMK) shortly and I am in the market for a new car, sadly im not even looking at BMW's I just cant take the service experience. BMWNA just doesn't care.

And dont even think of Vatkins, he will give you a number to give someone at BMWNA's 1800 line and they will say "I have no idea what that number is for"
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM
;p

Mein Auto: bike w/ ET mod
www.dealerrater.com

big sign that says' free rollerskates with every service ask how' park in front of dealership

two rollerskater? they prolly did the nasty in the back seat
Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Your experiences with a your dealer (I hate to say it) sound kinda typical.
How dare you talk bad about a BMW dealer. I've had my 330Ci almost a month and have had no problems with the three days so far that its spent in the shop. Maybe tomorrow, I will be able to pick it up if the part (module that controls my possed door ajar switch) ever comes in. It was supposed to be ready this morning, but the service manager didn't call me until after 5 PM to tell me the part hadn't come in as scheduled. In my job, if we had a customer down for that long, they'd be screaming all the way to the president of the company.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Don't expect BMW NA to give a sh!t.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:58 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffi
Don't expect BMW NA to give a sh!t.
Based one first hand experience!

Old 11-03-2004, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
That sucks, Kev. Here's the scenario: BMW techs aren't paid as well as they should. They are usually relatively young (<30 years old) and have girlfriends. One night, they are assigned your car and have a date so they decide to take it out thinking they are some pimp. BMW may be aware your car isn't there and keeps putting you off. The end.

Hey, it's possible right?

What dealer was this? I'd like to know who not to use.

Last edited by allaboutme; 11-03-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme
That sucks, Kev. Here's the scenario: BMW techs aren't paid as well as they should. They are usually relatively young (<30 years old) and have girlfriends. One night, they are assigned your car and have a date so they decide to take it out thinking they are some pimp. BMW may be aware your car isn't there and keeps putting you off. The end.

i do'nt know what the over all scor is, are most dealers ok? if not can't some of the bmw clubs and larger boards such as this get some kind of group thing going and petition bmwna into getting some sort of avenue for help, either better dealership control or at least a 'real' hotline number that actually works aka provides resolutions?? just a idea
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo2000a
i do'nt know what the over all scor is, are most dealers ok? if not can't some of the bmw clubs and larger boards such as this get some kind of group thing going and petition bmwna into getting some sort of avenue for help, either better dealership control or at least a 'real' hotline number that actually works aka provides resolutions?? just a idea
Doesn't BMW CCA do this?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:56 AM

This was at Allison / BMW of Mountain View. Service advisor was Mike Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme

Old 11-04-2004, 09:31 AM
This side up.

Mein Auto: E46 M3, XL1200S, E39(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconGuy
Save yourself the aggravation. BMWNA couldnt care less. I hate to admit it but its true.

Ditto on this. I even called BMW North America multiple times over the course of 6 months. Each month, they assured me that someone would get back to me. I just kept doing it for 6 months. Never received a single phone call from BMW NA. They have NEVER followed through on anything said to me. Bottom line is that dealer can do whatever they want, (at least here in Southern California where everyone and their mother has a BMW). Find another dealer.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5
Just a thought if BMW NA doesn't do anything about these dealers because they are "independent" then why do they even bother asking about your service experience? IMO most service advisors are clueless and if you find a good one buy him/her a case of 25 year old scotch and beg them never to leave. I have become a much more informed owner due to forums such as Bimmerfest and in some instances I know more then the advisors do.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 AM

Update. Called BMW NA to make formal complaint today. Told cust svc guy the story and of course he apologized. Told him this type of service is not acceptable and I would not be back and plan to find a local non-dealer shop in the future. He said if there was anything he could do to remedy the situation - let him know.

So I said - how about refund my $$ from this crappy visit. He asked me - 'They
did perform the services right? So we can't refund your money.' I said - you lost a good customer and all the word of mouth that comes with it.. (ie - these boards).

Anyone used Bimmers in San Carlos? Any opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonhasch
Just a thought if BMW NA doesn't do anything about these dealers because they are "independent" then why do they even bother asking about your service experience? IMO most service advisors are clueless and if you find a good one buy him/her a case of 25 year old scotch and beg them never to leave. I have become a much more informed owner due to forums such as Bimmerfest and in some instances I know more then the advisors do.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci
Sounds like we spoke to the same person, I was told my dealer would contact me that day.
I was after all on the side of a highway in a Florida thunderstorm taking all my possessions out of the trunk to remove the jack and remove and replace the wheel after finding three lug bolts missing. Keep in mind this was after a 22 hour drive, 1500 miles from home with my hysterical family looking on saying they didn't want to get back in the car. The rep sounded dumfounded, really made me feel like they were sorry. I had had new tires put on by my dealer 24 hours before. One week goes by, no call from my dealer (after 2 calls from me and 3 emails!) Again I call NA the woman says yes I remember you, your dealer (PARK AVE BMW NJ) gets very low CSI scores, just forget about it and find another dealer, we (NA) did ask them to call you.

Like I said earlier, save your breath.

The ironic part is that my other car dealers have kept me very happy. Nissan/Infinity treats me like a king.... Go figure
Old 11-04-2004, 02:01 PM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
Quote:
Anyone used Bimmers in San Carlos? Any opinions?
I have been using Bimmers for the past 4 years to do my interim oil changes, diff & gearbox oil and coolant changes. Very good service received at all times. I recommend them.

I effectively do a full inspection during my oil changes as they have no problem with me crawling under the car whilst it is on the ramp. Now that my car is out of warranty and free maint, I will be taking it there pretty much for everything. I change my oil every 4K with Mobil 1 0W-40.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
All -

If you told me Monday morning, I wouldn't believe it. Lets just say I've been converted this week.
Monday: door ajar/driver's window goes nuts. Call dealer. They say appointment open Tuesday at 11 A.M. but no BMW loaner, only Enterprise. I say don't care, I'd rather drive my truck then a rental. Drop off car at 5:30 P.M. Window is going up/down while paper work is written up.
Tuesday: call mid-day to say not bad door ajar sensor, but control module. Part will be in Wednesday A.M.
Wednesday: no call until 5:00 P.M. Voice Mail says sorry, part not in, sorry didn't call until now. blah blah blah. Not upset because working late so couldn't get anyways. Beginning to johnes for my car.
Thursday: no call from dealer. At 4:00 P.M., I call say I want to pick up my car. Secretary checks, says its not done. STILL WAITING!!!!
Friday (tomorrow): I have the day off so I will drive over and personally find out why it takes so to get and replace one simple part. Having had the car for less than a month, it has now spent more time in the shop than my Saturn did during the 225,000 miles I owned it. Heck, I blew two transmissions in my Dodge Ram and still never had it in the dealer more than two days. This is not encouraging.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
I've gotten better service from a Saturn dealer. Sad but true.
$15,000 Saturn, service
$40,000 BMW, serivce
Old 11-05-2004, 05:20 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
From my understanding dealers do receive incentives from BMW for higher service scores. That is why they beg customers for all 5 ratings.