Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2004, 06:08 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,549
Mein Auto: GS500F
Please limit the file size of avatars, not reduce the pixel dimension.

I understand not wanting avatars to take away from the legibility of the site, and I understand wanting to make the site bandwidth-friendly. But anything under 150 pixels square is not excessive in size, and 80 pixels square is almost impossible to distinguish. Avatars do serve a purpose in letting us immediately hook up the author of a post to a post, more so than usernames (which are often similar enough to cause confusion). Limiting the file size would make the site more bandwidth-friendly, and would eliminate a lot of the animated avatars that can be a detriment to site legibility. I would like to respectfully request that the 145 square limit on avatars be maintained, and site legibility to be improved by instead limiting the file size.
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 PM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,359
Mein Auto: '02 325i


What is more of a problem, IMHO, is both the dimensions and file sizes of signature pictures. Even if the file size is small to save bandwidth, a large picture takes up way too much screen real estate at the screen resolution of typical monitors and LCD panels. Even at the high end resolution that I run on my real monitors (which is 1600x1200), the big signature pictures still take up too much of the screen!
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
phrider's Avatar
phrider phrider is offline
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
Location: LaBrea Tar Pits, LA, CA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,687
Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3


Me, too.

Compare 80 width with current.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Godsogd's Avatar
Godsogd Godsogd is offline
Jesus Geek
Location: Northern Nevada
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: '00 528ia Aspen Silber
Nothing "Incredible" about 80X80...
__________________
2K 528i Sport/Premium/Step Aspen Silber 255X40/ZR17
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
120 x 150 max.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2004, 11:45 AM
haigha's Avatar
haigha haigha is offline
Hare Herald
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,829
Mein Auto: 4 X5 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
I understand not wanting avatars to take away from the legibility of the site, and I understand wanting to make the site bandwidth-friendly. But anything under 150 pixels square is not excessive in size, and 80 pixels square is almost impossible to distinguish. Avatars do serve a purpose in letting us immediately hook up the author of a post to a post, more so than usernames (which are often similar enough to cause confusion). Limiting the file size would make the site more bandwidth-friendly, and would eliminate a lot of the animated avatars that can be a detriment to site legibility. I would like to respectfully request that the 145 square limit on avatars be maintained, and site legibility to be improved by instead limiting the file size.


And I'm stupid too.

If you don't believe me, ask Dr. Stupid (he's not 80x80 either).

__________________
X
It is sufficient? As much how much you he trust thyorisons all'interno we if l'insecte, my crime this remember' whole; C'est D.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
phrider's Avatar
phrider phrider is offline
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
Location: LaBrea Tar Pits, LA, CA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,687
Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
120 x 150 max.
I'd rather have 150x120..... so it really should be a size thing. Isn't size what matters?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2004, 12:41 PM
operknockity's Avatar
operknockity operknockity is offline
My TARDIS is a BMW
Location: On the bleeding edge of last week
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,359
Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrider
Isn't size what matters?
__________________
How many posts could a repost post if a repost could post posts?

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2004, 03:15 PM
WILLIA///M's Avatar
WILLIA///M WILLIA///M is offline
95NU>*
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,113
Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
I agree. Keep the 150 size limit and manage them by file size.
__________________
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one on my TV.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2004, 03:19 PM
WILLIA///M's Avatar
WILLIA///M WILLIA///M is offline
95NU>*
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,113
Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
Size isn't the problem they're trying to address.
Then why was RGal requesting to keep the size limit and not reduce it to 80? Did I miss something in another thread?
__________________
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one on my TV.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2004, 05:00 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,549
Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
Size isn't the problem they're trying to address.
But I think it's a more reasonable problem to address within the context of the existing 145 square limit (which I think is a good limit).
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
But I think it's a more reasonable problem to address within the context of the existing 145 square limit (which I think is a good limit).
If you can't express yourself within the confines of the avatar, why not just move it to your sig instead where you have plenty of room? It's just a small silly picture next to your name, and a bigger silly picture at the bottom of every post.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Elwood's Avatar
Elwood Elwood is offline
2 pieces dry white toast
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,109
Send a message via ICQ to Elwood
Mein Auto: Mystic '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
If you can't express yourself within the confines of the avatar, why not just move it to your sig instead where you have plenty of room? It's just a small silly picture next to your name, and a bigger silly picture at the bottom of every post.
your avatar is too big
__________________


- 2004 BMW 330Ci - Mystic Blue - Sports Pkg - Hole in Roof -
- Bum Warmers - M3 Wheel - ZHP Knob - Arai for the noggin -
- UUC Swaybarbarians - To tell me this is a repost, get in line -
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2004, 09:19 AM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood
your avatar is too big
No it's not.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Elwood's Avatar
Elwood Elwood is offline
2 pieces dry white toast
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,109
Send a message via ICQ to Elwood
Mein Auto: Mystic '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
No it's not.
*cough* avatar *cough*

100 x 75

Not that I really care
__________________


- 2004 BMW 330Ci - Mystic Blue - Sports Pkg - Hole in Roof -
- Bum Warmers - M3 Wheel - ZHP Knob - Arai for the noggin -
- UUC Swaybarbarians - To tell me this is a repost, get in line -
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-05-2004, 09:29 AM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood
*cough* avatar *cough*

100 x 75

Not that I really care
As a moderator there are different limits...
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,549
Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
If you can't express yourself within the confines of the avatar, why not just move it to your sig instead where you have plenty of room? It's just a small silly picture next to your name, and a bigger silly picture at the bottom of every post.
I like having a discernable picture to hang with the name. 145x145 is still awfully small and plenty silly.

I don't see that the physical size is causing a problem with forum legibility, and the change would negatively impact forum legibility for people who like to use the avatar as a shorthand to identity. If someone turned off avatars because the 145 square avatars were just too much, and would turn them back on with a hefty sigh of relief if they were downsized to 80 square, please weigh in...
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
WILLIA///M's Avatar
WILLIA///M WILLIA///M is offline
95NU>*
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,113
Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
I like having a discernable picture to hang with the name. 145x145 is still awfully small and plenty silly.

I don't see that the physical size is causing a problem with forum legibility, and the change would negatively impact forum legibility for people who like to use the avatar as a shorthand to identity. If someone turned off avatars because the 145 square avatars were just too much, and would turn them back on with a hefty sigh of relief if they were downsized to 80 square, please weigh in...
I'd have to agree again. I use the format with avatars to the left which cuts down on scrolling for me. And do admins/mods really intend to give themselves bigger avatar limits? Thats just a bit too silly IMO.
__________________
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one on my TV.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2004, 09:27 PM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Administrator
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,368
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIA///M
do admins/mods really intend to give themselves bigger avatar limits? Thats just a bit too silly IMO.
Let me ask you how it is unreasonable that member of the site that have, and continue to work hard to make the bimmerfest.com community great for the greater good should not be awarded with some slight privilege (besides, or course the scrutiny of every member ).

As for the admin, the same above goes, but add in the financial costs of running the site.

It's like I just asked everyone to start paying to use the site or something

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2004, 06:36 AM
rost12's Avatar
rost12 rost12 is offline
round -n- shiney
Location: Toronto, ON
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,617
Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIA///M
And do admins/mods really intend to give themselves bigger avatar limits? Thats just a bit too silly IMO.
Admins/mods get 100x100 instead of 80x80. Yeah, let's make a fuss about THIS injustice?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 AM
WILLIA///M's Avatar
WILLIA///M WILLIA///M is offline
95NU>*
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,113
Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rost12
Admins/mods get 100x100 instead of 80x80. Yeah, let's make a fuss about THIS injustice?
Who said I was making a fuss? Pretty sensitive around here. The whole discussion is of a pretty trivial nature but the avatar rules debate was apparently one of the only active things being talked about except for the election results. Guess I'll leave it alone. Just post a sticky with what the new rules are when it's decided.
__________________
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one on my TV.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A tip to get Planetside running as smooth as possible! Hercules Off-Topic 7 05-14-2003 11:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms