Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: Range Rover HSE
2004 M62 Engine Problem

I have owned BMW's in the past and will again. I am posting here because I currently have a BMW power train and electronics in a 2004 Range Rover HSE that is experiencing serious issues as described below.

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY input that may help me resolve these issues.

At the moment a really good diagram of the proper connection and placement of vacuum lines would be a big help as I located one that is not connected to anything. This is not the cause of my current symptoms, however I need to address it first.

Vehicle Description:

2004 Land Rover
Range Rover HSE
130,000 Miles (Last 30,000 Mi 80% highway @ 75 mph)
BMW M62 4.4.4L V8
Mobile 1 Synthetic (Burns No Oil)

Symptoms: Over a period of several weeks I noticed a “Slight Loss of Power” that became “Significant” at highway speeds.

Twenty (20) minutes into a (2) hour hour trip at highway speeds the engine developed a misfire that became so severe that after twenty five (25) minutes more I turned around and returned home at reduced speeds.

Road Test:
The next day I test drove the vehicle. It started immediately, idled normally during warm up, and then developed a misfire at speed that became progressively worse.

Upon returning home I noticed the exhaust smelled like fuel (rich mixture) with the following OBD2
Random Misfire
Upstream Oxygen Sensor “Out of Range” (Bank Unknown)
Downstream Oxygen Sensor “Out of Range” (Bank Unknown)

A visual inspection of the exhaust system revealed that the passenger side CAT was replaced at some time before I purchased the vehicle when it had 105,000 miles.

Replaced Spark Plugs:
Replaced the Spark Plugs with NGK Platinum
Moved the coils on misfiring cylinders to different cylinders

Retest results: No change with misfire codes on different cylinders.

Ignition Coils: I was advised that these “Induction” Ignition Coils have an expiration date that is APPROXIMATELY 130,000 MILES and fail at first randomly therefore:

Replaced the coils with OEM product

Retest results: No change with misfire codes on different cylinders.

Vacuum Leaks: Next I searched for Vacuum Leaks by spraying brake cleaner in possible leak locations with no effect.

Catalytic Converters: I was further advised that a “Defective CAT” COULD cause the engine management computer to over compensate with the resulting Air/Fuel Mixture being “Very Rich”.

Boroscope Inspection:
A subsequent visual inspection of the CATS from an observation hole drilled between the first and second CAT on each side of the exhaust system shows them to be in Good Condition.

Further visual inspection of the upstream side of the First CAT and downstream side of the Second CAT on each side is planned.

Back Pressure Testing:
Using the above mentioned observation hole, tapped with 1/8 NPT, a low pressure gauge was used to test the exhaust system pressure. Initial results were unremarkable.

Further testing and logging of pressure readings upstream of the First CAT and upstream of the Second CAT on each side is planned.

Infrared Thermometer Testing:
Temperature measurements of the exhaust system relative to CAT performance are planned.
Advertisement