Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Opinion on F10 OEM M Sport Rear Diffuser

Dear All,

First off I just want to say what an excellent resource these forums are. Priceless and very helpful to the novice like myself.

I have a 2012 BMW 535i with the M Sport package and wanted to get some opinions on the rear diffuser.

When I got the car the rear was the basic M Sport Rear which frankly was my least favorite angle of the car. It just seemed that for such an aggressive looking M Sport front, the rear left a lot to be desired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW rear.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	443766

So I had an OEM M5 Spoiler added, which did wonders to improve the appearance of the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW rear 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	443767

Well my question now has to do with the rear diffuser. I know from reading the various posts that opinions vary greatly on this. But although I love the look of the OEM M5 diffuser, I don't want to switch my dual exhausts for quads which would be necessary.

The Vorsteiner rear diffuser is way too aggressive looking and I'm interested in more of a subtle look. So I found the following OEM M Sport diffuser on GetBMWParts.com, http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462.

Unfortunately there is only one photo posted. It looks subtle but sporty, and although it's more than double the cost of the M5 diffuser, it would accommodate the stock dual exhaust tips of my 535.

Does anyone have any info or other pics of this diffuser? Or any other similar diffuser that would fit the stock dual exhausts? My plan would be to paint the diffuser the same silver color as the rest of the car, so I'm not sure it makes sense to do that with a Carbon Fiber diffuser.

Any help would be much appreciated,_a_
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2014, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdasun View Post
Dear All,
Well my question now has to do with the rear diffuser. I know from reading the various posts that opinions vary greatly on this. But although I love the look of the OEM M5 diffuser, I don't want to switch my dual exhausts for quads which would be necessary.

The Vorsteiner rear diffuser is way too aggressive looking and I'm interested in more of a subtle look. So I found the following OEM M Sport diffuser on GetBMWParts.com, http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462.

Unfortunately there is only one photo posted. It looks subtle but sporty, and although it's more than double the cost of the M5 diffuser, it would accommodate the stock dual exhaust tips of my 535.

Does anyone have any info or other pics of this diffuser? Or any other similar diffuser that would fit the stock dual exhausts? My plan would be to paint the diffuser the same silver color as the rest of the car, so I'm not sure it makes sense to do that with a Carbon Fiber diffuser.

Any help would be much appreciated,_a_
Hi Gdasun,

Agreed with your rear diffuser comments - what did you end up doing?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Hi MarcusLee,

Unfortunately I didn't pull the trigger on anything. The car is still with the factory M sport diffuser and the M spoiler I added. I'm too apprehensive to make the change without seeing some pics of what it would look like.

If you find anything please let me know,
Best regards..
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdasun View Post
Hi MarcusLee,

Unfortunately I didn't pull the trigger on anything. The car is still with the factory M sport diffuser and the M spoiler I added. I'm too apprehensive to make the change without seeing some pics of what it would look like.

If you find anything please let me know,
Best regards..
Thanks for reply, and agreed that it seems scarce (most people seem to go the complete M5 look).

Not sure if you've seen these 'brochure' links though?
http://www.bramanbmwparts.com/bmw-5-...rear-diffuser/
http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/66409...-f10-5-series/
Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
I agree the rear M-Sport is not very aggressive. A 'sportier' diffuser may not help much as I attribute the blandness to the shape of how it fits into the bumper.

was thinking what a body colored diffuser on an M-Sport would look like. On silver and AW, it may make the dual exhausts stand out more and could reveal a sportier look.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Here's pics of a Bimmerfest members car with the M Performance diffuser:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=789312

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the pics.

There's also another member here who has it, but painted it gloss black (on Alphine White car).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...61#post8566861

I'm not sure it quite it provides much/enough difference between stock, having seen it now. Also I can't help but wonder if the two 'rectangled eye's above the exhausts falls into the unnecessary add on / doesn't do anything to the look of the car, category.

Good point with what a body colored diffuser on an [light coloured] M-Sport would look like. Having put it out there, I'm super curious too. I wonder if it will indeed bring it out, or if it might not quite work (as I've seen many other BMW model's such as E46 M sports, who I've seen had them recoloured).

I also can't help but wonder what a full M5 diffuser (or the many after market variants) might look like?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f1...w=1280&bih=699
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
That's funny. My favorite angle of the M Sport package element of the F10 is the rear. IMO it's the M Sport front that could've been more aggressive (i.e like the 6 or 3 M Sports, they're a little more pronounced).

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
That's funny. My favorite angle of the M Sport package element of the F10 is the rear. IMO it's the M Sport front that could've been more aggressive (i.e like the 6 or 3 M Sports, they're a little more pronounced).

Well that's interesting - I'm now wondering if this thread is playing out exactly the same discussion the BMW F10 stylists had when penning the car...!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: E39 Touring
Marcuslee2032, I was about to start the same thread - glad I saw yours first. I've noticed the same thing you have. There are plenty of dual exhaust diffuser replacements, but I cannot seem to find a QUAD exhaust diffuser what will bolt into the OEM 535 rear fascia. I'd rather not spend the crazy extra $$ on the entire replacement fascia just to fit the quad exhaust. Still hoping for valid suggestions from our fellow forum members. If I find anything in the meantime, I'll be sure to share!!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAman703 View Post
Marcuslee2032, I was about to start the same thread - glad I saw yours first. I've noticed the same thing you have. There are plenty of dual exhaust diffuser replacements, but I cannot seem to find a QUAD exhaust diffuser what will bolt into the OEM 535 rear fascia. I'd rather not spend the crazy extra $$ on the entire replacement fascia just to fit the quad exhaust. Still hoping for valid suggestions from our fellow forum members. If I find anything in the meantime, I'll be sure to share!!
Hmm this looks interesting:
http://bmwstylinguk.co.uk/#/modification-gallery/
genuine M5 upper diffuser + finned lower diffuser, and purports to fit onto vehicles with single exhaust tips (I'm not sure if that means singles on each side or "two singles" on lower left.

I also came across this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-B...631262065.html
If I guess correctly, it's for twin pipes rear left vehicles to transform it to quad pipe outlet without any major rework (inventive!).
Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: E39 Touring
Yeah, looks like it, but that diffuser is still on an M bumper. I researched this to death yesterday and is seems that you have to upgrade to an M rear fascia if you want to do a quad exhaust system.... they seem to have us by the 'you know whats' ;-)