Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
OEM vs Aftermarket

Hey guys
So I need to replace a thing or two in my car but was wondering what people prefer as in just bite the bullet and buy OEM even though it cost a good penny or just rather get a aftermarket part that is just as good as OEM... Not sure if theres a thread that exists but I thought I'll ask... Part I want to replace for starters is my AC Condenser. Dealership wants $600+ online around $200+ being that its only for the AC would it matter?
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
It all depends. See if you can get the OEM part elsewhere for less. AC Condenser goes anywhere from $70-$150 aftermarket. Not a moving part so should be ok.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
It all depends. See if you can get the OEM part elsewhere for less. AC Condenser goes anywhere from $70-$150 aftermarket. Not a moving part so should be ok.

Thats what I thought its nothing major therefore why not. I did end up ordering the AC condenser from Behr which I read somewhere along the lines its OEM? Not sure but sure was way cheaper than BMW. Even checking certain sites that offer BMW OEM stuff still was around $500 - $600.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 PM

If you are doing the job yourself, you are definitely saving some $$$. As long as its not hard to get in and out if you have to do it again. I've used aftermarket parts in my Mercedes Benz and some have been better than the originals. An AC Compressor is $1100 through dealer but $400 after market. Not sure what the diff would be there but wow!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
If you are doing the job yourself, you are definitely saving some $$$. As long as its not hard to get in and out if you have to do it again. I've used aftermarket parts in my Mercedes Benz and some have been better than the originals. An AC Compressor is $1100 through dealer but $400 after market. Not sure what the diff would be there but wow!

Aha. Changed before? There are several dash parts to remove.

OP - among threads here are a few mentions/pics of what's involved. Go ahead and look. If you can't find easily, this board has the ability to search threads. Yes....search.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DEU View Post
Aha. Changed before? There are several dash parts to remove.

OP - among threads here are a few mentions/pics of what's involved. Go ahead and look. If you can't find easily, this board has the ability to search threads. Yes....search.
Isn't the compressor in the engine compartment? If so, what dash parts need to be removed? Are you confusing it with the evaporator?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
Isn't the compressor in the engine compartment? If so, what dash parts need to be removed? Are you confusing it with the evaporator?

Y'see? This is what happens when one does not pay attention!

I really should look carefully, and use a proof-reader.

Someone like ol' Jack here:

Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Reregistered User

However, if OP wants a condenser replacement, he's looking at an engine compartment heat exchanger downstream of the compressor.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92coupe View Post
Hey guys
So I need to replace a thing or two in my car but was wondering what people prefer as in just bite the bullet and buy OEM even though it cost a good penny or just rather get a aftermarket part that is just as good as OEM... Not sure if theres a thread that exists but I thought I'll ask... Part I want to replace for starters is my AC Condenser. Dealership wants $600+ online around $200+ being that its only for the AC would it matter?
Yeah, the way I see it, OEM parts are built to spec and fit, come with 2 yr warranties and are pretty much bullet proof. But, yes you can shop online for more discounts on OEMs, more competition means better pricing.

Other than that, most of the other stuff you buy, mostly Asian made..., you get what you pay for. The only others I would ever consider is from a company called Dinan out of the bay area(thanks brother calH20boy) CA I believe, parts are designed and produced in house, made in the USA but in some cases can be more expensive than OEM but again you get what you pay for.

Last edited by daytrader; 06-04-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
Yeah, the way I see it, OEM parts are built to spec and fit, come with 2 yr warranties and are pretty much bullet proof. But, yes you can shop online for more discounts on OEMs, more competition means better pricing.

Other than that, most of the other stuff you buy, mostly Asian made..., you get what you pay for. The only others I would ever consider is from a company called Dinan out of southern CA I believe, parts are designed and produced in house, made in the USA but in some cases can be more expensive than OEM but again you get what you pay for.

Whelp, Dinan's just South of San Francisco's Bay Area, in Morgan Hill, and if they own Koni, Quaife, etc, yeah they design their own stuff.

Or....do they? I've just gotta see their wheel production facility, metal finishing line, fabrication shops, Limited Slip Differential manufacturing line, forging area, etc. at this place:

Hey it's just over on Jarvis, an area of small warehouses - industrial park. Be driving past next week.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Whelp, Dinan's just South of San Francisco's Bay Area, in Morgan Hill, and if they own Koni, Quaife, etc, yeah they design their own stuff.

Or....do they? I've just gotta see their wheel production facility, metal finishing line, fabrication shops, Limited Slip Differential manufacturing line, forging area, etc. at this place:

Hey it's just over on Jarvis, an area of small warehouses - industrial park. Be driving past next week.
Yeah, they use some great parts to assemble even better ones is my understanding. Most will just have to check out these videos but you can just stop right in, you lucky dog!

Last edited by daytrader; 06-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:

However, if OP wants a condenser replacement, he's looking at an engine compartment heat exchanger downstream of the compressor.
I may have confused the situation. Was just making a point of how more expensive the Compressor is from the dealer vs. aftermarket as a price diff example. The condenser looks to be visible in the engine compartment.