Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Battery Problem? 2006 M5

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 M5 with 22,000 miles.

From visual inspection, the car's in great condition but one big problem: it won't start.

With the keyfob in, press on brake, push the start button ... nothing. No stalling, no additional lights on dash, etc. Just silence. However, door/trunk lock/unlock works fine.

The father of the young owner (he passed away abruptly and left the car in the current condition) found the battery replaced not so long ago with a non-OEM brand.

The father say he tried jumpstarting the car and the battery isn't just holding charge enough for it to start twice. Is the non-OEM battery the culprit or is there some bigger problem that I need to brace myself against?

Any idea as to get this monster running like it should would be much appreciated._a_
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Ask owner if he replaced battery him self, since battery on M5 have to be installed by bmw shop and serial # have to be entered in the computer.
I'm positive that is your issue!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Is dealership really the only option for battery replacement on M5s?? then I'm left wondering what other parts of the car are dealer-repair only. (Also, I thought I saw DIY battery replacement thread.)

Below is the response I got when I asked the owner about the timeline of the problem:

"The car was garaged for several months. On Jan 30, 2014 road service came and installed a new battery, the car started fine, then was stored in this garage for Feb, Mar, Apr and May. I started the car up several times this week took to Costco for gas. car started with no problems overnight the battery seems to loose enough juice to start again."

So, when I'm ready to pick up the car, I plan to call AAA to jump start. Should I head straight to a dealer? or is it worth a second opinion where it won't cost me $$$ off the bat?
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Or any BMW shop will be able to help you!
Keep in mind repairs are costly, but fun you are going to have with ///M are well worth it.
It's not just a car it's BEAST!
Once you go ///M you never go back

Old 06-07-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto:
With 22k miles that car is brand new and you should be fine as far as repairs also that depend how you take care of it. Follow recommended service massage car will give you on display and you will be fine.
Do your search on shops around area you live, some bmw shops are cheeper and just as good as dealership!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Thanks again.

What's your take on the non-BMW brand battery thats sitting there?

Does it matter what brand it is as long as it's properly registered?
Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Brand doesn't matter, but I use OEM parts for my BEAST and he like it!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto:
I have 86K miles on my 06 M5 and drives same as that day when I drove it out of showroom! No issues just ware and tare parts.
To this day I'm still learning about this car, SMG is awesome and I prefer it over this new M5, maybe I'm just use to it!
Any way have fun with your M and take care!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1402201381.150931.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	444748
That is how you take care of BEAST!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5
Is the car in neutral? Haha

Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Smile

believe it or not, i did wonder about the gear position after i came back from seeing the car. (it was an hour drive one way.) i guess i shouldve done more researh on SMG before i headed over.

Id be very happy if the car "magically" roars on, when i pick up the car next weekend.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: '07 M5 / '14 335i M Sport
I replaced the battery on my '07 M5 and had similar issues, come to find out you have to "marry" the new battery with the on board computer, and you don't have to take it to a dealer a local Indy shop can do it for about $60.00.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540
Lol. M5's do have to be in neutral to start. Maybe call the guy and have him try and start it?

BMW Level 1 Master Tech
2006 E60 M5
2006 E60 525i
2001 E39 540i (sold!)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 M5 & 90 E30 Vert
I think the battery just needs a deep charge. My battery was drained because I accidentally left my Code reader in the OBDII socket and there was almost nothing I could do to jump the car off. I tried jump boxes, jump starting with a big truck, etc., but nothing was strong enough. (I did get it to start when I used two vehicles and a jump box, but that's definitely not recommended). I purchased a Ctek battery charger/conditioner on Amazon, and put the charger on the car overnight. Problem solved.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistexworks View Post
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 M5 with 22,000 miles.

From visual inspection, the car's in great condition but one big problem: it won't start.

With the keyfob in, press on brake, push the start button ... nothing. No stalling, no additional lights on dash, etc. Just silence. However, door/trunk lock/unlock works fine.

The father of the young owner (he passed away abruptly and left the car in the current condition) found the battery replaced not so long ago with a non-OEM brand.

The father say he tried jumpstarting the car and the battery isn't just holding charge enough for it to start twice. Is the non-OEM battery the culprit or is there some bigger problem that I need to brace myself against?

Any idea as to get this monster running like it should would be much appreciated._a_

I had same problem. It was my key fab that was damaged. If it got wet or if the key fab is banged up , and you put in the ignition, the car shuts down, safety mechanism incase somebody is trying to jam something in ignition to steal it. Ne key fab is around 240.00.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefevan View Post
I had same problem. It was my key fab that was damaged. If it got wet or if the key fab is banged up , and you put in the ignition, the car shuts down, safety mechanism incase somebody is trying to jam something in ignition to steal it. Ne key fab is around 240.00. Just give the dealership vin number and dont let them tell u there are other things wrong with the car.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefevan View Post
I had same problem. It was my key fab that was damaged. If it got wet or if the key fab is banged up , and you put in the ignition, the car shuts down, safety mechanism incase somebody is trying to jam something in ignition to steal it. Ne key fab is around 240.00.
Also the only other thing it could be is if the battery compltely died in that case u need to get a new battery and have bmw reprogram battery to your car. Around 250