Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2014, 05:02 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Starter Removal, 2007 328i

To those who wan to do it yourself, be prepared for a fun job. First disconnect neg on battery, then remove cabin air cover and cover below that and then engine cover with 4 allen screws.

Do not remove fuel bar, disconnect electrical on fuel bar( two connections) then remove air filter and hose to throttle assembly. disconnect all connections on intake manifold. Remove two nuts on power steering tank and set aside out of the way.

Remove two torx screws on electrical distribution unit connected to intake , be sure to have solid connection to remove screws. Replace with two 6mm bolts. This is the hardest part of the job. Remove hose to throttle and remove throttle, replace gasket on throttle.

Remove intake manifold, replace gaskets, be careful, two hoses on back of intake and one elect connection. These are hard to remove, don't break hose. Remove manifold and starter is easy to remove. Disconnect elect and remove two torx bolts, E-14 socket. Buy a rachet with a swivel head to remove long bolt, also use penetrating oil and hope they free easy. Replace with new bolts

The hardest part for me was the air filter installation, took me an hour. It is a tight fit.

Savings 1000 dollars. Hope this helps as repair manuals never seem to be written by someone who ever did the job. Many mistakes, I just went to with looking each step as I was doing it, of course experience helps. Buy parts on e-bay Total cost of job $ 163 dollars, Starter, bolts, and gaskets.

Last edited by updownsidewall; 06-06-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Left out parts buying
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Thanks I am about to attempt this courageous adventure..
Did you use any videos to help you?
I'm more of a visual person.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
To those who wan to do it yourself, be prepared for a fun job. First disconnect neg on battery, then remove cabin air cover and cover below that and then engine cover with 4 allen screws.

Do not remove fuel bar, disconnect electrical on fuel bar( two connections) then remove air filter and hose to throttle assembly. disconnect all connections on intake manifold. Remove two nuts on power steering tank and set aside out of the way.

Remove two torx screws on electrical distribution unit connected to intake , be sure to have solid connection to remove screws. Replace with two 6mm bolts. This is the hardest part of the job. Remove hose to throttle and remove throttle, replace gasket on throttle.

Remove intake manifold, replace gaskets, be careful, two hoses on back of intake and one elect connection. These are hard to remove, don't break hose. Remove manifold and starter is easy to remove. Disconnect elect and remove two torx bolts, E-14 socket. Buy a rachet with a swivel head to remove long bolt, also use penetrating oil and hope they free easy. Replace with new bolts

The hardest part for me was the air filter installation, took me an hour. It is a tight fit.

Savings 1000 dollars. Hope this helps as repair manuals never seem to be written by someone who ever did the job. Many mistakes, I just went to with looking each step as I was doing it, of course experience helps. Buy parts on e-bay Total cost of job $ 163 dollars, Starter, bolts, and gaskets.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Smile Sarter removal procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderoo_328i View Post
Thanks I am about to attempt this courageous adventure..
Did you use any videos to help you?
I'm more of a visual person.

I did watch a video, but they did it wrong in removing equipment that was not necessary. You have to be patient as room is tight. Hoses are hard to remove due to heat seizing and when reinstalling coat inside with soap to ease installation. Make sure electrical connections are secured tightly when installing. don't over tighten intake bolts. Engine service light will stay on until you drive it a few miles. BMW is good about hose alignment with key indexing. Lowes has ratchet swivel head to get bolt on back of starter. Leave trunk door open after removing neg terminal on battery. If you forget your key will open it. Good luck and if you need help e-mail me.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Watch out for oil in intake manifold, depends on how many miles on vehicle. Be prepared
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
The left bolt to the starter is


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Stripped.
And the bolt head is entirely off.
What should I do


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:07 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
If the head is completely gone and you removed the right one it should come right out when you say left is it the long bolt or short one bolt threads in starter other in engine. Which is it? Make sure no part of bolt head is holding starter on. If so file or grind it free. Did you use penetrating oil on bolts? Sorry you are having this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Watchme Watchme is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Hammer on a smaller socket on it, make a line slit in it (using dremel) - for the screwdriver, vice grips, etc.
Hope it works.
__________________
2011 328i X-Drive Sedan N51 AT; Black / Black.
Premium, Value, Hi-Fi stereo, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
how about a pic of it, the bolts are AL so grinding should be easy so to speak, maybe try to get a knife blade between the starter and the block and pry it out, could be some corrosion holding it together
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
If the head is completely gone and you removed the right one it should come right out when you say left is it the long bolt or short one bolt threads in starter other in engine. Which is it? Make sure no part of bolt head is holding starter on. If so file or grind it free. Did you use penetrating oil on bolts? Sorry you are having this happen.

I am the second owner, and by the looks of it I can tell the starter has been changed once before. And when they bolted it back on the used two different bolt the right one was short and threaded all the way up, On The left on the the bolt head is all the way off and I can see the threads. I did use penetrating oil it didn't seem to help. I will try filing the top down some more.
Thanks


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
how about a pic of it, the bolts are AL so grinding should be easy so to speak, maybe try to get a knife blade between the starter and the block and pry it out, could be some corrosion holding it together

Sure thing.
I'll get some pics up as soon as I'm off work.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
The long bolt threads into starter flange the short bolt threads into block. do what was suggested to free flange from block use two new al bolts . don't over tighten. Odd it should break free with pressure from pulling up on starter.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1409684721.947601.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	462257
Here what it looks like


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if you have the other bolt out the starter should slide forward, you might need to pry it off, you have a new starter correct? check but I am sure the starter housing is not threaded
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
only the long bolt threads in starter flange. I'm surprised at the corroded area, mine was like new. I believe this engine has seen much water. Maybe a flood. For a 2007 it is strange. need to pry starter off.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 PM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderoo_328i View Post
I am the second owner, and by the looks of it I can tell the starter has been changed once before. And when they bolted it back on the used two different bolt the right one was short and threaded all the way up, On The left on the the bolt head is all the way off and I can see the threads. I did use penetrating oil it didn't seem to help. I will try filing the top down some more.
Thanks


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
What sucks about this thread is that the starter has to be replaced. AGAIN. With that little miles. Again BMW cheaping out on components
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
only the long bolt threads in starter flange. I'm surprised at the corroded area, mine was like new. I believe this engine has seen much water. Maybe a flood. For a 2007 it is strange. need to pry starter off.
Dissimilar metals. Galvanic corrosion. Make sure you grease the bolts

You should be able to pry it loose
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1409956960.242077.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	462737i got it off, I used a Reciprocating Saw. And found out what the problem was that some one just put the bolt in backwards.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Tyrell Tyrell is offline
Registered User
Location: London
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2007 bmw 318i se
Bmw 318i CBS display

Hi, I'm new here, and I just bought a 2007 bmw 318i se, I have been looking online about the car, and I notice my car doesn't have the middle CBS on my dashboard(warning signs)! It only have the bottom and the top part... Is that normal please help... Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 PM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,074
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderoo_328i View Post
Attachment 462737i got it off, I used a Reciprocating Saw. And found out what the problem was that some one just put the bolt in backwards.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Awesome! Can't see the paty where you cut it though in the picture. Congrats! Scared myself a few times with critial stripping of hard to reach bolts as well.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Awesome! Can't see the paty where you cut it though in the picture. Congrats! Scared myself a few times with critial stripping of hard to reach bolts as well.
so basically it was held on by the bottom bolt! wonder what idiot fixed it the last time
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-06-2014, 01:04 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,730
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
Hi, I'm new here, and I just bought a 2007 bmw 318i se, I have been looking online about the car, and I notice my car doesn't have the middle CBS on my dashboard(warning signs)! It only have the bottom and the top part... Is that normal please help... Thanks.
dude you need to start your own thread, this one is about a starter that wouldn't come off
I am surprised the moderators didn't remove this post since it has noting to do with the OP topic
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 AM
updownsidewall updownsidewall is offline
Registered User
Location: Ekin NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderoo_328i View Post
Attachment 462737i got it off, I used a Reciprocating Saw. And found out what the problem was that some one just put the bolt in backwards.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Makes no sense in it being backwards. It would not hold flange to block, are you sure about the bolt?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Anderoo_328i Anderoo_328i is offline
Registered User
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
To those who wan to do it yourself, be prepared for a fun job. First disconnect neg on battery, then remove cabin air cover and cover below that and then engine cover with 4 allen screws.

Do not remove fuel bar, disconnect electrical on fuel bar( two connections) then remove air filter and hose to throttle assembly. disconnect all connections on intake manifold. Remove two nuts on power steering tank and set aside out of the way.

Remove two torx screws on electrical distribution unit connected to intake , be sure to have solid connection to remove screws. Replace with two 6mm bolts. This is the hardest part of the job. Remove hose to throttle and remove throttle, replace gasket on throttle.

Remove intake manifold, replace gaskets, be careful, two hoses on back of intake and one elect connection. These are hard to remove, don't break hose. Remove manifold and starter is easy to remove. Disconnect elect and remove two torx bolts, E-14 socket. Buy a rachet with a swivel head to remove long bolt, also use penetrating oil and hope they free easy. Replace with new bolts

The hardest part for me was the air filter installation, took me an hour. It is a tight fit.

Savings 1000 dollars. Hope this helps as repair manuals never seem to be written by someone who ever did the job. Many mistakes, I just went to with looking each step as I was doing it, of course experience helps. Buy parts on e-bay Total cost of job $ 163 dollars, Starter, bolts, and gaskets.

What happens if I don't replace the gaskets...?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
-2007 328i

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms