Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto:
2006 BMW 325xi rough idle all sensors replaced

Hello,
This is my first time posting, I have read all related material to the rough idle and replaced the eccentric valve-tronic solenoid sensor, and I replaced the vanos sensors to no avail, my car still runs rough. It doesn't stall but the power is gone the car doesn't smoke like if my engine would be damaged, and at this point I am at a loss. I am going to check the compression on the pistons next to verify if possibly I may have a bent valve. If anyone has some type of input to help me get my car back on the road it would be extremely appreciated. As a side note my car ran rough back during December once and all lights turned on like a christmas tree but I restarted the car and all went back to normal. The only other thing that occurred was that the car would turn on then off in the cold morning, I attributed that to the extremely cold winter we had. Did I possibly cause major damage by not noticing this sooner, I didn't get any trouble codes till the car began to idle rough about a month ago.

Thanks
Juan

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Clean the MAF. Check for vacuum leaks.

Are you getting any faults/lights?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto:
I will try cleaning it, where would the vacuum lines run by in regards to the engine, currently the faults have cleared and nothing is going off on it scanned it a few time already and I drove it 20 mins to see if any new faults would come up but nothing. I will also be checking the piston compression just in case.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Well I don't know why this didn't come to me earlier but most likely, the reason why you had rough idle was due to changing the sensors and NOT resetting adaptations.

The adaptations will relearn the engine parameters on their own after a few miles but initially you have rough idle.

For example, this happens when we do walnut shell blasting on the N54. If the adaptations are not cleared after we do the service, the engine runs like crap until they are reset.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
When you say you had the car scanned for faults, did you have it done by someone with a BMW scanner or was it a generic scanner, like God forbid, Pepboys. AFAIK not all scanners will read all BMW fault codes.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto:
I took it to a shop I was recommended and they attached a machine made for BMW that's how I got the initial codes I had the shop replace the sensors it called for but to no avail its still running the same as when I took it in. I am at a complete loss to be truly honest. I am almost about to resort to taking it in to the dealer at this point, is there a scan tool I can purchase to make sure the codes were cleared correctly?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 PM

So you had these issues before replacing the sensors?

If it's behaving the same way after replacing the sensors, it's not the adaptations.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by murillj View Post
Hello,
This is my first time posting, I have read all related material to the rough idle and replaced the eccentric valve-tronic solenoid sensor, and I replaced the vanos sensors to no avail, my car still runs rough. It doesn't stall but the power is gone the car doesn't smoke like if my engine would be damaged, and at this point I am at a loss. I am going to check the compression on the pistons next to verify if possibly I may have a bent valve. If anyone has some type of input to help me get my car back on the road it would be extremely appreciated. As a side note my car ran rough back during December once and all lights turned on like a christmas tree but I restarted the car and all went back to normal. The only other thing that occurred was that the car would turn on then off in the cold morning, I attributed that to the extremely cold winter we had. Did I possibly cause major damage by not noticing this sooner, I didn't get any trouble codes till the car began to idle rough about a month ago.

Thanks
Juan

I suggest you post the exact codes you previously had, and see if any updated codes are coming up now. Without something to go on, we're all just guessing...... At this point it could be anything like a bad spark plug, ignition coil, vacuum leak, failing battery, etc, etc..

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Ok just an update the original code the car gave was P1017 faulty valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor. I replaced it and still had the same issue with rough idle, I then did some research and found the vanos sensor also causes this problem so I replaced both, still to no avail I am at this point. I just ordered the Bavarian technical kit to read a reset my computer, i t will arrive wed of next week so I will post any new codes if there are any after I do a new scan. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Hello,
I scanned the car and got nothing. I changed all the plugs, checked coils besides one two coils all were blue sparks. The two others were blue with a yellow hint. They still sparked though. All vanos sensors replaced and eccentric sensor replaced . at this point do you guys think it could be the timing chain might have skipped a tooth? It still idles rough and don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: a car
I haven't seen that engine jump timing. More likely you need vanos solenoids. Also have them reset valve fronting end stops. Should be done every time you replace that sensor

BMW master tech. 9 years experience.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto:
Bimmertech113, can I do the reset the valve fronting end stops with the Bavarian tool obdII? Or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto:
I have replaced both vanos solenoid sensors and still nothing, I am going to replace the camshaft position sensor next

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM

The position sensors or the solenoids themselves? I haven't used that tool so I don't know

Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I Hate to say it but it might be a good idea to take it to the dealer, not sure what you have invested in it so far but the way you are going it might be cheaper to have the dealer look at it.

as far as a bent valve, I doubt that could be the problem, if you bent a valve in these engines It would most likely not even run due to punching a hole in a piston and locking it up.

as one has asked before, has it always run this bad? when did it start

have you replaced the Injectors?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto:
It started about a two months ago I was driving home from work and I just suddenly lost power And the car began to vibrate around 60 mph. As I went faster the vibration would level out but def lost power, as I slowed down the vibration also subsided. I took it to a shop and was told the codes called for new eccentric valve sensor, still no good then was told might be vanos sensors still no good , the shop reset the ecu but I don't know if they reset "valve fronting end stops" as bimmertech stated. So I am going to do one last try with the cam shaft position sensor then its off to the dealer I guess. I am in deep on this car so I hope its not a bad engine.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Can I get the injectors cleaned? I also ran it on regular fuel since the station did not have super fuel, happened about 3 times might that have done something?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto:
This is a picture of what I had replaced, both intake and exhaust were replaced

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405003200328.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	450841  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I have had a sel on my 2006, 325i, for a few months, codes say, camshaft position sensor. Changed both, and did the vanos as well. Cleared codes with the PEAKE code tool, ran for a while with no codes. Then next time I ran it rough cold idle, then popped codes same camshaft code came up. So it is not seeing the new sensor? or have I not done something. >>???
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Intake or exhaust? You may need a cam ledge

Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by murillj View Post
It started about a two months ago I was driving home from work and I just suddenly lost power And the car began to vibrate around 60 mph. As I went faster the vibration would level out but def lost power, as I slowed down the vibration also subsided. I took it to a shop and was told the codes called for new eccentric valve sensor, still no good then was told might be vanos sensors still no good , the shop reset the ecu but I don't know if they reset "valve fronting end stops" as bimmertech stated. So I am going to do one last try with the cam shaft position sensor then its off to the dealer I guess. I am in deep on this car so I hope its not a bad engine.

What is your location, registered user?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto:
I am in Manalapan NJ

Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Bimmertech--cam ledge

I replaced both camshaft position sensors. and both vanos. Cam ledge. how does one test for that--I will try to read up on that but any help would be appreciated. It only has 60k miles.... hum.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
have you checked vanos solenoid

very cheap to DIY
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 07-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacortedaniel View Post
I replaced both camshaft position sensors. and both vanos. Cam ledge. how does one test for that--I will try to read up on that but any help would be appreciated. It only has 60k miles.... hum.

HERE

Read; weep. Paranoia visits you Wah....the world is out to get you, and it has!