Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Bimmerfest M3 & M4 street and track review

2015 F80 M3 F82 M4 street track review

What better way to get to know the all new 2015 BMW M3 sedan and M4 coupe then a day of track driving at Road America. Dead center in the midwest, Road America is one of the fastest road tracks around with an epic 4 mile lap distance. Playing host to NASCAR, TUDOR Championship and more, this is a big league track. The M3 has always been known as a street legal race car, and Road America puts that to the test. In addition to hot laps, there was time for a jaunt around the historic Elkhart Lake street circuit at near legal speeds to test the road manners of the latest M cars.

This 5th generation M3 sedan and all new M4 coupe have a lot to live up to. It's predecessor, the much loved E9x M3, was the last naturally aspirated M car with a high revving 4.0 liter V8 under the power dome. The new M3 returns to BMW's favorite engine configuration, the inline 6. With just 3 liters of displacement the power comes from twin turbochargers, direct injection, VANOS and a air to water intercooler setup. This packed engine bay of BMW engine prowess puts out where it counts with 425hp, up 11 hp. More importantly, and impressively, it packs 406 lb-ft of twisting force, up a massive 111 lb-ft. The power increase hauls the M3 and M4 from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds (super car territory) when equipped with the optional dual clutch transmission. Those that enjoy rowing their own gears will be pleased to hear a manual transmission is still the default offering and features a trick dual plate clutch. But you pay the price for your slower shifting with a 0-60 time of 'just' 4.1 seconds.

The M4 is the the new name on the block but with a face you recognize. In 2012, BMW split the 3 series into the 3 series sedan and the 4 series coupe. Think Audi A4 and A5 for reference, and it is possibly where BMW got the inspiration. With the 3 series coupe now being a 4 series, it only makes sense the M3 coupe would become the M4 coupe, even if that is trampling on 30 years of M3 heritage. Bicker about the name all you like, but the looks, performance and light weight tech of the new M4 (and M3) can't be debated. If highlights like a solid mounted aluminum sub frame, Active M Differential, carbon fiber roof (sedan), carbon fiber drive shaft, and ceramic brakes don't get you excited about this generation M3 and M4 then I don't know what will.

F80 BMW M3 vs F82 BMW M4

Track Time

Arriving at the track just as the sun is breaking tells me this is going to be a great day. It is cool and clear, perfect weather for a romp on the track. Before heading out there is a 'quick' briefing on setting the myriad of M prefixed technology to get the most out of the car on the track. There is the M-DCT (dual clutch transmission), Adaptive M suspension, DSC M Dynamic Mode, plus settings for the throttle control and EPS (electronic power steering). BMW almost offers too many choices, but with the M1 and M2 memory buttons on the wheel, you set what you like once and then use the preset buttons from there on out. The M memory buttons are tied to your key profile, so if you share your M3/M4 with a significant other you can each have your own M preferences. At the track, BMW Performance Center Instructor Matt Mullins has pre-programmed the M1 and M2 buttons on our track vehicles and I stick with his recommendations. M1: Throttle - Sport, Adaptive M Suspension (EDC) - Sport, Steering - Sport, DSC - On, HUD (heads up display) M Mode, DTC - S3. M2: Throttle - Sport Plus, Adaptive M Suspension - Sport Plus, Steering - Sport Plus, DSC - M Dynamic Mode, HUD - M Mode, DCT - S3

The beauty of all the M3/M4 electronically adjustable performance technology is the flexibility it provides the owner. Love the S55 engine power and the looks of the M3 but don't want a rough ride? Then crank up the throttle response and shift speed but leave the suspension in comfort. Headed to the track, crank everything to maximum ferocity and enjoy. Going out to dinner with the significant other, dial it back to comfort and you have a easy riding sedan (or coupe). BMW is using technology so the M3/M4 gives you exactly what you need for each driving experience. The ability to go from track lion to street kitten, seemingly without compromise, is this generation M3/M4's biggest advantage over the previous gen.

A couple warm up laps in the safer M1 preset and I start to get the hang of the track and this generation M3/M4. Power is the key improvement this M offers, there is so much at all revs. Low down in RPM range the torque keeps you moving regardless of gear; the entire track could easily be driven in 5th. In the low rev range the turbos provide the grunt, but drop it down in third on the straights and the engine sings. With a red line of 7600, BMW calls this a high revving turbo motor and it offers throttle response as good as the NA S54 from the E46 M3. Touch the throttle pedal and the power is instantaneous, not once did I sense turbo lag. The only impression of it being a boosted engine was a slight power dip at the end of the rev range as the turbos maxed out at 200,000 RPMs.

F80 BMW M3 vs F82 BMW M4

With the car warm I drop into the more aggressive M2 preset, putting DSC into M Dynamic mode, and get to work testing the limits of the chassis. This M3/M4 has switched from traditional hydraulic steering to EPS (electronic power steering) and everyone wants to know how it feels. BMW added EPS to the mainstay 3 and 5 series and it has been slammed as numb and uncommunicative. BMW M started with a clean slate and a higher quality EPS rack supplied by ZF (3/5 rack is ThyssenKrupp). From the beginning this M was built around the EPS steering to make sure the handling and feedback was perfect. On the track I simply forgot about the steering it is so natural. It is the most direct and communicative steering to date, besting my E46 M3 hydraulic rack with ease. There is no hint of over-boost, electronic meddling, or muted feedback. The turn in is razor sharp, mid-corner when sawing at the wheel for grip the tire adjustments are direct. The connection to the pavement that is missing from the EPS systems in other BMW's has been returned. If you didn't know better, you would think the steering was hydraulic. iBMW M set out to prove that EPS could be done right and they have achieved their goal. Perhaps this will be the end of the discussion of traditional vs. EPS steering, but I doubt it.

With the steering nailed the rest of the chassis comes along obediently. Feedback from the hard mounted subframe is fantastic allowing for amazing precise turn in control. Despite the massive power the rear end stays neatly behind the front end with less then expected attempts to step out of line. BMW spent hundreds of hours tuning the chassis and suspension at the Nurburgring, more then any other M car, and the work is apparent. This M3/M4 gives you more confidence at triple digit speeds the perhaps your skill warrants. There were several instances when a glance at the HUD displayed speed was a bit of a shock to me as I rounded the deadly kink. The planted track performance comes down to high quality M development work and a laser focus on this M3/M4 being a capable track car. No compromises were made when it came to track performance, despite the increased standard equipment and improved daily driveability.

The one track complaint I do have it the braking. Not the brake feel, but the chassis under braking. The optional $8,150 M carbon ceramic brakes (required 19" wheels pushes the true cost to $9,350) provided rock solid pedal feel despite three triple digit braking zones per lap. Lap after lap I hammered on them with no indication of fade, a truly impressive feat. But under straight line aggressive braking I started to notice a bit of tail wag as the rear end wanted to come around the front. It was an unsettling feeling and a surprise from what is otherwise a flawless track car. I suspect the caliper piston sizes on the carbon ceramic brakes are just a little off, I would like to see if the same squirming happens with the standard brake setup. While manageable it was a little disappointing, hopefully BMW remedies this shortly.

M3 vs. M4
The M3 and M4 are cut from the same cloth but the fabric has been molded to two different shapes. The M4 is arguably more aggressive and the integrated trunk spoiler is visually stunning. The M3 has a narrower body so the flairs are wider for a menacing look but it left in the cold with just a add-on spoiler and fewer aesthetic improvements. This time around the M3 does gets a carbon fiber roof, but BMW didn't go as far as the full treatment the M4 got. If they would just add a molded truck to the M3 it would really round out the visual package. On the track there isn't much between them. I got the slight impression the M4 was more composed, perhaps due to the lower center of gravity, but any variance in performance is negligible. Pick your poison, or choose your door preference. With either the M3 or the M4 you're getting a more then capable track machine.

F80 BMW M3 vs F82 BMW M4

Street Driving

With my need for speed satisfied I jump into a 6 speed manual M3 sedan and pull out of the track and onto public roads. Keeping the M3 speed in check after the track takes diligence, especially while touring around the historic Elkhart Lake street circuit. On the track the new M3/M4 is good but the real improvement for this generation is in it's street manners. The turbo muted tone from the I6 leaves you longing for the pure sounds of the retired V8 exhaust but its pitiful torque numbers are not missed. The 406 lb-ft of torque on tap from 1850 RPMs means pulling away from a stop doesn't have to be a red line experience. Daily driving is a torque game, something that wasn't readily available in the E9x.

The 6 speed manual is the best I've driven from BMW. The gear box is derived from the 1M coupe but has been reworked and lightened. A typical BMW shifter is a rubbery contraption that feels loosely coupled to the gear box. the M3/M4 on the other hand feels like the lever is directly bolted to the gears with a precision machined shaft. The shifts are very direct if not a touch on the long side. A downside to this mechanical precision is a lack of lever feel. There is no sense of gear-neutral-gear, it is just a clean motion front to back, a little more feedback would make the experience more enjoyable. The new transmission is coupled to the S55 engine with a dual plate clutch, giving you twice the friction area to hold the power and torque. Despite this trick clutch, the engagement is easy, just like the shiftier is effortless to a fault. Smooth is good, but feel is better BMW. Overall two work perfectly together and give the impression that this manual was not an after thought. Sadly despite the hard work on BMW's part they're expecting less then 20% of the F8x Ms to be purchased with manual transmissions.

The one thing that did drive me crazy is the manual transmission rev match feature. Driving a manual transmission is supposed to be hard work and the reward for those of us still stubborn enough to deal with the daily inconvenience is the occasionally perfectly matched heal toe downshift. There is nothing more enjoyable then working three pedals with two feet while making a perfectly timed gear change. The new rev match feature takes all of that away by automatically blipping the engine the appropriate amount when braking. Thank for giving us the manual transmission BMW but leave us to do our complicated foot work in peace! As a nod to the silly nature of this feature it is automatically turned off in Sport Plus throttle mode. When you really want to go driving you should blip your own throttle, and I shouldn't have to be in Sport Plus to do it. Why BMW didn't make this an option in iDrive is frustrating.

F80 BMW M3 vs F82 BMW M4

BMW has working on the interior as much as the engine and chassis on the new M3/M4, with a signification push towards luxury. To be fair the M3 I drove was fully loaded (see below) but even the base model includes standard navigation, iDrive and amazingly comfortable seats. The leather wrapped dash is a nice option and furthers the luxurious feel of the interior. The car has grown in size making the drivers seat feel like a captains chair to the E9x's fighter pilots seat. You have room to stretch out in the F8x M3/M4, a benefit of being built off the larger F3x chassis. The large iDrive screen sprouting from the dash adds to the feeling of comfort as pertinent information is just at eye level. The added comfort, connectivity and torque all shine on the street, because lets be honest, as much as you want a track car for the street, at 6:00am on your commute to work the 0-60s and lateral grip is secondary to cup holders and navigation with live traffic updates.

Tested pricing and configuration

The track M3 and M4s were fully loaded with M-DCT ($2,900), M carbon ceramic brakes ($8,150), Adaptive M Suspension ($1,000), executive package (M3 - $4300 / M4 - $4000), full Merino leather (M3 - $2650 / M4 - $2550) lighting package ($1,900), style 437 M double spoke 19' wheels ($1,200), and metallic paint ($550). The M3 starts at $62,950 (including $950 destination and handling) and with options and package was $85,600. The M4 starts at $65,150 (including destination and handling), as equipped the out the door price is an is an eye popping $87,400. While not cheap, with standard navigation, carbon fiber roof (sedan), power and heated front seats, auto dimming & folding mirrors and carbon fiber interior trim you are getting a lot of car for the money.

The M3 I rolled around on the street was a 6 speed manual, a no cost option, but the price tag goes up quickly from there. Options and packages on the street test car include: M carbon ceramic brakes ($8,150), 19" M double spoke wheels (style 437 - $1,200), Adaptive M Suspension ($1,000) lighting package ($1,900), executive package ($4300), full Merino leather ($2550) and metallic paint ($550). MSRP at the dealership would set you back a cool $82,700. The M3 and the M4 base prices has increased but are still hovering around what a similarly equipped E9x M3 would have cost you. The downside is you can no longer get a 'stripped' model. Like it or not all the standard features are coming along for the ride.

F80 BMW M3 vs F82 BMW M4

This generation M3 and all new M4 will likely leave purists bemoaning the hollowing out of BMW M, as every previous new M3 has. It is a softer car, built on a bigger platform with more technology and comfy options; all things purists hate. But the numbers don't lie. It is a lighter, faster (15 seconds quicker around the Nurburgring) car then the outgoing M3. It is every bit a track capable machine and street driving is better then the high revving motors of the past while packing technology and connectivity expected from a modern BMW. BMW has used technology to make a car with more features, drive faster.

Is there a sense of new direction in this M3 and M4? Look no further then the new naming as proof of that. Additions such as rev matching and piped in sound further that point, but does this take away from what the M3 (and now M4) is and offers you? In a word, no. When you're out driving, none of that matters; none of that bothers you. When you're driving, it feels like the best car available, hands down. It has the performance to keep the purists happy and the luxury options to keep everyone everyone else happy. I suspect the purists will enjoy the new features as well. If you're looking to trade up from your M3, the new M3 and M4 won't disappoint and are every bit befitting the M badge as the previous 4 generations.

Last edited by pix335i; 06-12-2014 at 03:51 PM.
More about Bimmerfest M3 & M4 street and track review

bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 1bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 2bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 3bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 4bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 5bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 6bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 7bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 8bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 9bmw-f80-m3-f82-m4-street-track-review 10

Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Nice review, but too much of a mix of info we already know and a bit through rose colored glasses. I know it is written in a manner as a stand alone article, but it was long on info we know already and short on real analysis on the spots that need it. Not absent, but short.

Regardless, I think it's going to be an awesome car.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nice review, but too much of a mix of info we already know and a bit through rose colored glasses. I know it is written in a manner as a stand alone article, but it was long on info we know already and short on real analysis on the spots that need it. Not absent, but short.

Regardless, I think it's going to be an awesome car.
If you have a specific question I'll be happy to answer. The short version is the car is really a rock solid track car, I was not expecting that. I really wasn't expecting to like it, considering I wasn't overly impressed with the M235i handling. It surpassed my expectations in all regards. All the things people were looking to nit pick; eps, i6 turbo, etc. are just not valid. You can say BMW M is going the wrong direction in the big picture making more of a gran touring car, and I might give you that. But this M3/M4 is faster and with more DD ability then the old one and that is a hard fact to glaze over simply because it isn't as pure.

Tim
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Great review Tim.It was nice to finally read a review of the 6 speed manual gearbox.Did you feel that the 6 speed matched nicely with the turbo S55 engine?I know that the shifts are much quicker with the DCT but did you find the manual more fun to drive?

I drove the new M3 last week with the DCT and thought it was fantastic but I would still prefer to have a manual.

I am waiting for the M2,but after driving these cars,which tranny did you feel worked best with the M3 ad M4?I am not talking about on the track but just normal everyday aggressive driving.

Last edited by Shades; 06-10-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Great review Tim.It was nice to finally read a review of the 6 speed manual gearbox.Did you feel that the 6 speed matched nicely with the turbo S55 engine?I know that the shifts are much quicker with the DCT but did you find the manual more fun to drive?

I drove the new M3 last week with the DCT last week and thought it was fantastic but I would still prefer to have a manual.

I am waiting for the M2,but after driving these cars,which tranny did you feel worked best with the M3 ad M4?I am not talking about on the track but just normal everyday aggressive driving.
The M DCT will win every day. At this point if you're buying a manual it is because you want to row your own gears. I would also say it is because you like to heel toe but the M3/M4 rev matches for you so that is moot. I forgot to include that, I'll have to go back and add that. It is a neat feature that you should be able to turn off (other then in sport +) and never use again.

Driving a DCT is very much like driving an auto to me, the challenge of rev matching and down shifting is gone, but damn the up shifts are fun! I wouldn't order one new, it would be too hard to pay $2900 for something I don't want but if I was shopping the used market a DCT wouldn't turn me away from a car. If it was a no cost option I'd flip a coin.

Tim
Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
The M DCT will win every day. At this point if you're buying a manual it is because you want to row your own gears. I would also say it is because you like to heel toe but the M3/M4 rev matches for you so that is moot. I forgot to include that, I'll have to go back and add that. It is a neat feature that you should be able to turn off (other then in sport +) and never use again.

Driving a DCT is very much like driving an auto to me, the challenge of rev matching and down shifting is gone, but damn the up shifts are fun! I wouldn't order one new, it would be too hard to pay $2900 for something I don't want but if I was shopping the used market a DCT wouldn't turn me away from a car. If it was a no cost option I'd flip a coin.

Tim
I agree with everything you said,that is why I am having a hard time trying to decide which tranny I will go with for the M2.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Early Apexer

Mein Auto: 645
Tim:

Thank you for taking the time to post the experience, very nice read. Could you possibly elaborate on how the car behaved during slow and high-speed corner entry/mid/exit. Also, maybe you can comment on how the brake pedal feel on the track was in terms of consistency, initial application, etc.

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
It is the most direct and communicative steering to date, besting my E46 M3 hydraulic rack with ease.
How is the "connectedness", handling (incl how "planted" the car is) and modulation compared to the E9x M3; and turbo lag?

ps how does the suspension compared to the E9x M3? And the difference between the static and adaptive suspension on the F8x M3/4?

Last edited by bm323; 06-11-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Added some details I felt were relevant as well as expanded on some of my feelings having had a couple days to digest. I'll get back to the questions tomorrow.

Tim
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
Rev match

Quote:
It is a neat feature that you should be able to turn off (other then in sport +) and never use again.
Hopefully some tuner will find a hack.

2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT View Post
Tim:

Thank you for taking the time to post the experience, very nice read. Could you possibly elaborate on how the car behaved during slow and high-speed corner entry/mid/exit. Also, maybe you can comment on how the brake pedal feel on the track was in terms of consistency, initial application, etc.

Thank you.
It is very neutral with some, as to be expected, under steer for safety. Even in M Dynamic mode there isn't enough freedom to really control the car with the throttle or brakes. On corner exit I was constantly getting the DSC light flashing. To really explore the limit you need DSC fully off, which I wasn't going to do. Road America has very little run off and I didn't want to stuff a brand new M3/M4. It has a slight tendency to push into the corners, but much less so then the M235i for example.

Brake pedal is a little soft initially but then becomes firm and consistent about 1/3 into it. The brakes were 100% consistent, I've never driven carbon ceramics before so it was weird to have zero fade. I would like a little more initial bite but realistically they're street pads so they're going to have a soft entry point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
How is the "connectedness", handling (incl how "planted" the car is) and modulation compared to the E9x M3; and turbo lag?

ps how does the suspension compared to the E9x M3? And the difference between the static and adaptive suspension on the F8x M3/4?
The car is insanely planted and gives you a sense of control that I probably didn't really have due to lack of my skill. It gives you confidence you probably should not have, I know my skill and felt I was going 10mph beyond that but was comfortable with it. Thankfully nothing went wrong because it would have gone south quickly at the speeds I was going. The car feels softer then the E9x but is still faster, partially because of weight and power, partially because of suspension tuning.

I only got to drive the F8x with adaptive suspension. I would like to try the standard suspension and standard brakes to see how they feel.

Any more questions post them up.

Tim
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Early Apexer

Mein Auto: 645
Thank you very much Tim.

Any comments on the seating position? My previous BMWs had sitting pretty high up and very uncomfortable. Many have commented that the seating position is lower and seats are very supportive compared to E9x, what is your opinion?

Last edited by FT; 06-13-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
I'm not understanding comments that the new M3/4 are not pure M cars, if memory serves me right the original M cars had a 6 cyl engine. What I would like to know is why does BMW think the these new cars need to have heated steering wheel? Why can't we get the car with comfort access only instead of paying $4300 for package that is a waste of money? Why is enhanced BT a $500 option but Nav is standard? I truly think BMW has lost sight on what the M cars are all about and the true nature of the people who bought them, BMW is now going after the country club set and not the true fans.. Too bad, it looks like a wonderful car.

Last edited by Eagle11; 06-13-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
I'm not understanding comments that the new M3/4 are not pure M cars, if memory serves me right the original M cars had a 6 cyl engine. What I would like to know is why does BMW think the these new cars need to have heated steering wheel? Why can't we get the car with comfort access only instead of paying $4300 for package that is a waste of money? Why is enhanced BT a $500 option but Nav is standard? I truly think BMW has lost sight on what the M cars are all about and the true nature of the people who bought them, BMW is now going after the country club set and not the true fans.. Too bad, it looks like a wonderful car.
I don't think BMW has lost site of M. It is focusses on consumer demand and sales volume. M3/M4 will not disappoint unless you actually want a track car.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I wish I was at Road America for this event.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
I'm not understanding comments that the new M3/4 are not pure M cars, if memory serves me right the original M cars had a 6 cyl engine.
What do you mean? M3? If so, incorrect, it had a 4 cyl engine.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
What do you mean? M3? If so, incorrect, it had a 4 cyl engine.
I was more talking about the M1,M5 and M6. Since the M3 only had a 4 Cyl for one model year, majority of the early M cars had 6 cyl's.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
I was more talking about the M1,M5 and M6. Since the M3 only had a 4 Cyl for one model year, majority of the early M cars had 6 cyl's.
have you driven the 1m,m5, or m6 ? Do you own one ? They are true M cars, all three. The fact that BMW has made them great looking M cars with tons of tech and luxury is a great thing. The one knock on some of the older M5'S and M3'S, as great as they were and they were great, consumers were not interested in spending $ 65,000.00 to nearly $ 100,000.00 for a car that sat in their garage except on track days or hooligan driving because they were not comfortable to drive. Unfortunately BMW had no choice.

Believe me these M cars of today are all M, i know I have tracked a 600 hp beast with a manual transmission and it is all M.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
consumers were not interested in spending $ 65,000.00 to nearly $ 100,000.00 for a car that sat in their garage except on track days or hooligan driving because they were not comfortable to drive. Unfortunately BMW had no choice.
Well said. Doesn't mean that purists don't miss the idea of this kind of M car, even if they never drove it, or even owned it.

Tim
Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
have you driven the 1m,m5, or m6 ? Do you own one ? They are true M cars, all three. The fact that BMW has made them great looking M cars with tons of tech and luxury is a great thing. The one knock on some of the older M5'S and M3'S, as great as they were and they were great, consumers were not interested in spending $ 65,000.00 to nearly $ 100,000.00 for a car that sat in their garage except on track days or hooligan driving because they were not comfortable to drive. Unfortunately BMW had no choice.

Believe me these M cars of today are all M, i know I have tracked a 600 hp beast with a manual transmission and it is all M.
I was driven in a M1, had owned an 1988 M5 and M6 (used of course) and wished I had the M6 today... Never did I say that the today's M cars are not M cars, but the fact that they are weighting so much because of all the "must haves." Being back the core roots of what the original M cars were all about.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I was driven in a M1, had owned an 1988 M5 and M6 (used of course) and wished I had the M6 today... Never did I say that the today's M cars are not M cars, but the fact that they are weighting so much because of all the "must haves." Being back the core roots of what the original M cars were all about.
Love the 1988 M5, a classic. The weight of both the new M5 and M6 is largely overated. For example the M5 is the lightest in it's class when you put it up against the competition(mb e 63,porsche panorama,audi rs 7, and jaguar). Bmw has done a excellent job of masking it's weight when you drive it and the twin turbo V8 more than makes up for the 4350 lbs. with it's HP and torque. Keep in mind to that both the M5 and M6 are rwd drive cars with nearly 600 HP at the engine and they are still within 0.5 seconds time 0-60 when compared to their fastest competitor and in some cases faster in the 1/4 times.

Keep in mind the E 39 M5 was right around 3950-4000 lbs., the new M5 is only 350-400 lbs. more and it outperforms the E 39 in every way, and I love the E 39.

Last edited by FTC; 06-19-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Well said. Doesn't mean that purists don't miss the idea of this kind of M car, even if they never drove it, or even owned it.

Tim
Thank you. I love the E 39 M5, although the new M5 can be tracked and driven like a hooligan(i have done it) and then turn around and be as comfortable as a 7 series on a 5 hour road trip and have the ability to turn into a street legal race car at the push of certain M buttons. The new series of M'S ARE incredibly versatile, this includes the new M3. Don't get me wrong I love hooligan driving more than the next guy but when you are spending anywheres from $ 70,000.00 to $ 140,000.00 ON A M car you should feel that you will be comfortable on a long road trip and get better than 10 MPG.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
I wonder if the M4 hardtop convertible is going to differ in any significant way. And what can you say about the sound system?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Keep in mind the E 39 M5 was right around 3950-4000 lbs., the new M5 is only 350-400 lbs. more and it outperforms the E 39 in every way, and I love the E 39.
This is nice, however, I was not talking about the E39, but the E28, base weight was 3417 lbs. So a new M5 is about 1000 lbs heavier.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Great write up Tim. Thank you

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.