Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3 E93
E92/E93 Adaptive Headlamp Expert Needed

Hi everyone,

Hoping to connect w/ someone who knows about e92 headlamps. I have somehow broken the horizontal adjuster on my passenger side headlight - 2009 M3, e93, AHL/xenon/adaptive headlamp. Talking about the adjuster that moves the beam slightly LEFT AND RIGHT for adjustment, this is hidden beneath a capped hole in the fender of the car. NOT the adjuster on top of the headlamp that controls vertical adjustment.

When I turn it thru the hole in the frame, it click-click-clicks, as if something inside the headlight isn't connected. If the light is on, beam bounces / ratchets a bit. I may, um, have adjusted it too far in the wrong direction, but I"m not sure. The issue started when I moved the headlights from my other car, 335i, to the M3. In the process of adjusting the headlights to the different car, this happened. Probably my own fault.

Here's a reference pic showing the adjuster. This is what is not adjusting anymore. It moves about a half turn, then "clicks", like it's skipping.

What stinks here is that these are brand new (1/2014) headlights.

Can I disassemble the headlight and fix this? I've read alot about fixing the VERTICAL adjustment by popping a ball back in the socket, but not sure of what my options here are for the horizontal adjuster.

It's triggering an AHL failure about 75% of the time right now.

I know "buy a new housing" is on the table but I'm sure there's a way to figure this out. Trying to decide if I take the front bumper off, wrestle off the headlight again and take it apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	445186  

Last edited by nashvegasr; 06-10-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: a car
I'm a BMW master tech in the Nashville area. You want me to take a look at it? Just pm me if interested.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
That piece you turn comes out. It is friction fit and there is an o-ring sealing it. Just pry it up and you will see the geared bottom. If that is ok (and if those teeth are ok, then the teeth inside the opening are ok too), then you probably turned the knob so much you unscrewed it from the carrier.

If you open the back, main door, you can push/pull on the projector carrier. If it's loose at all, you did what I described above or broken the assembly. It should be stationary. Most likely you unscrewed it all the way.

You can try pulling the projector carrier and seeing if you can align the adjustment mechanism again.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Thanks all

Thanks - that's JUST what I needed (ie knowing that it might come apart and I have at least a shot at fixing it. I'll add it to the weekend project slate)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech113 View Post
I'm a BMW master tech in the Nashville area. You want me to take a look at it? Just pm me if interested.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I just may take you up on that. Thanks for the offer - much much appreciated. I'm going to give it a go myself first !