Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi Barrique Red
Car making SCARY Noise

I tried searching the damn forums and this is what I get

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s

This just started happening today. If making a turn left or right I hear and feel a vibrating noise, sometimes it feels like its coming from the area where the gas pedal is, sometimes it feels like its coming from the back seat area on the drivers side. It sounds like when kids used to put baseball cards in the spokes of the back wheel on a bicycle. It feels like something is rubbing up against something. Maybe it is something to do with the drive shaft? Edit: Now the car has a slight wobbling/vibration at low speeds even when driving straight, if I turn the wheel slightly I get a popping noise , if I put it in neutral the popping noise stops

2006 330XI stock 17" rims.

Last edited by strongheart; 06-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart View Post
I tried searching the damn forums and this is what I get

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s

This just started happening today. If im doing 30+ MPH and making a turn left or right I hear and feel a vibrating noise, sometimes it feels like its coming from the area where the gas pedal is, sometimes it feels like its coming from the back seat area on the drivers side. It sounds like when kids used to put baseball cards in the spokes of the back wheel on a bicycle. It feels like something is rubbing up against something. Maybe it is something to do with the drive shaft?

2006 330XI stock 17" rims.

Yeah.

Mileage?

Past maint?

Drivetrain fluids last replaced?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DEU View Post
Yeah.

Mileage?

Past maint?

Drivetrain fluids last replaced?
126k miles. I dont know when the fluids were last replaced. They love calling the differential / drivetrain fluids lifetime fluids lol I bought the car at 107k. I was thinking of replacing the front and rear diff fluids and transmisison fluid as well just to be on the safe side since the car has high milage.

I also noticed today a constant squeaking noise from the front engine compartment while in gear. Does not change with speed. I thought maybe a pully but like I said it doesnt change with speed and its only when in gear.

The grinding / vibration noise seems to happen during tighter turns when in gear and around 20 or 30 MPH . First thing I thought was something vibrating in the differential boxes or driveshaft rubbing against the body or something . or maybe gears grinding. First it was up front like I said but the last two times making a turn it was in the rear. Im not familiar how these parts are set up or what they could be grinding or rubbing against.

Last edited by strongheart; 06-14-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
126k miles. I dont know when the fluids were last replaced. They love calling the differential / drivetrain fluids lifetime fluids lol I bought the car at 107k. I was thinking of replacing the front and rear diff fluids and transmisison fluid as well just to be on the safe side since the car has high milage.

I also noticed today a constant squeaking noise from the front engine compartment while in gear. Does not change with speed. I thought maybe a pully but like I said it doesnt change with speed and its only when in gear.

The grinding / vibration noise seems to happen during tighter turns when in gear and around 20 or 30 MPH . First thing I thought was something vibrating in the differential boxes or driveshaft rubbing against the body or something . or maybe gears grinding. First it was up front like I said but the last two times making a turn it was in the rear. Im not familiar how these parts are set up or what they could be grinding or rubbing against.

'Lifetime' transmission fluid was changed to 100k - prudent now to change all fluids - I do mean all.

Poss bearing somewhere in the divetrain. If squeak doesn't change w/speed, when does it change?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
'Lifetime' transmission fluid was changed to 100k - prudent now to change all fluids - I do mean all.

Poss bearing somewhere in the divetrain. If squeak doesn't change w/speed, when does it change?
Edit: Actually the problem is noticable when pressing down on the gas pedal. When I let off the gas pedal the noise stops after 3 or 4 seconds. when pushing down the gas pedal after 3-4 seconds the sound comes back. Ill upload a video now.

The car now has a slight vibration going on when driving even straight. If I put the car in gear and make a slight turn of the wheel I get the popping noise that sounds scary. I think theres something wrong with the drive shaft. When NAPA opens tomorrow im going to pick up a set of ramps and drive the car up on them and start taking off the bottom under shielding.

Last edited by strongheart; 06-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Edit: Actually the problem is noticable when pressing down on the gas pedal. When I let off the gas pedal the noise stops after 3 or 4 seconds. when pushing down the gas pedal after 3-4 seconds the sound comes back. Ill upload a video now.

The car now has a slight vibration going on when driving even straight. If I put the car in gear and make a slight turn of the wheel I get the popping noise that sounds scary. I think theres something wrong with the drive shaft. When NAPA opens tomorrow im going to pick up a set of ramps and drive the car up on them and start taking off the bottom under shielding.

Might not have clearance. Jack points HERE Low profile floor jack recommended - I use the differential for the rear jack point - do NOT include the diff cover in the contact patch!

Wood recommended between floor jack / jack stands & jack points:

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 06-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 AM

So here is the problem. The driveshaft that hooks up to the middle piece rusted out where the red X is, and the metal piece pushed right through it causing it to disconnect from the other side where A was connected to where the red arrow is pointing to. Do I have to buy a new driveshaft or can I get the littile circle that rusted out welded? A new driveshaft Ive seen is like $800. If I go to a junk yard what are my options? does the 330xk Automatic use the same front drive shaft as the 330XI Manual?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	445964   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	445965  

Last edited by strongheart; 06-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 e39 540i
Sorry but you need a new drive shaft. That cannot be welded back together, I mean it could but I wouldn't drive it. Sorry.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
So here is the problem. The driveshaft that hooks up to the middle piece rusted out where the red X is, and the metal piece pushed right through it causing it to disconnect from the other side where A was connected to where the red arrow is pointing to. Do I have to buy a new driveshaft or can I get the littile circle that rusted out welded? A new driveshaft Ive seen is like $800. If I go to a junk yard what are my options? does the 330xk Automatic use the same front drive shaft as the 330XI Manual?

Wow! That's unusual....of course you can get it welded, but you're far more assured of a trouble free repair if you buy a new shaft. Check auto dismantlers in your area unless you really, really want a new-from-BMW top dollar maximum profit grade unit.

Rusted? You're sure? Don't see other damage on the part....looks like a crack propagated, then all the torque went to the remaining good side.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Wow! That's unusual....of course you can get it welded, but you're far more assured of a trouble free repair if you buy a new shaft. Check auto dismantlers in your area unless you really, really want a new-from-BMW top dollar maximum profit grade unit.

Rusted? You're sure? Don't see other damage on the part....looks like a crack propagated, then all the torque went to the remaining good side.
yep rusted. The pic that has thh circle with the X through it I can put my finger through the circle, the solid metal piece that is part of the driveeshaft was pushed out
Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Fine German engineering huh? The metal on these capping parts is so thin. This drive shaft is hollow as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	446033   Click image for larger version

Name:	R4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	446034   Click image for larger version

Name:	R5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	446035   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	446036   Click image for larger version

Name:	R7.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	446037  

Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Fine German engineering huh? The metal on these capping parts is so thin. This drive shaft is hollow as well.

Hollow drive shaft yields lower moment of inertia and lighter weight yet retains great stiffness, rotation. Really, it's ok - new M3/4 has a hollow carbon fiber drive shaft.

Also, not seeing more than normal surface rust - do see cracked/sheared metal. 3rd photo shows cracked bearing race where the root of the prob seems to be. May be a mfg defect or abnormal torque/impact.

That's a piece of bad luck you had - good to see it's ID'd!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
Check this place
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...shaft_2006.php
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I found a replacement at a dismantler shop for $150 and shes running like normal again.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM

One quick question. Where is the flex disc /guibo on a E90 330 XI? There wasnt one on either end of the front drive shaft.