Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
2008 e90 turbo issue need help guys.

Need help guys. so..on last week someday I noticed my turbo whine got louder than ever and car went to limp mode. took it to mechanic this morning and wish it was Water pump issue but the mechanic called me and said it was both turbo chargers. and need to be replace both of them.
Fortunately, I read someone's thread in this forum got replaced his turbo by warranty that bmw extended until 82k/8yrs. so I took it to dealership today but they said that extended warranty only covers the turbo issue caused by defect of wastegate and said that mine isn't.
They said that mine has turbocharger problem but not from wastegate so I need to pay 6000 if still want to get it fixed.

Should I visit another dealership?

So here is what I am wondering, is that issue comes naturally around certain mileage? Mine is 78k now and been having it since 40k and had no turbo issues at all. I will attach the video as soon as I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	?? 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	445871   Click image for larger version

Name:	?? 2 (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	445872  
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKL335I View Post
Need help guys. so..on last week someday I noticed my turbo whine got louder than ever and car went to limp mode. took it to mechanic this morning and wish it was Water pump issue but the mechanic called me and said it was both turbo chargers. and need to be replace both of them.
Fortunately, I read someone's thread in this forum got replaced his turbo by warranty that bmw extended until 82k/8yrs. so I took it to dealership today but they said that extended warranty only covers the turbo issue caused by defect of wastegate and said that mine isn't.
They said that mine has turbocharger problem but not from wastegate so I need to pay 6000 if still want to get it fixed.

Should I visit another dealership?

So here is what I am wondering, is that issue comes naturally around certain mileage? Mine is 78k now and been having it since 40k and had no turbo issues at all. I will attach the video as soon as I get home.

Aha. How exactly did both turbos fail?

At the same instant?

Nope, doesn't happen at certain mileage. And having absolutely nothing to do with this issue at all ever, when were intake valves last blasted?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Reregistered User

In fact, what's the maintenance history? Gotta wonder if the air filter needs changing....
Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
you should contact BMW NA and ask them about what is exactly covered by the turbo warranty
that sounds very fishy to me, never hear of the warranty only on the waste gates causing the failure, and how did they determine that? did they take the turbos off and have them examined,
sounds like they just want to make money,

call BMWUSA or go to another dealer
Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The dealer is a bit right, the actual extended warranty is specific, it isn't just fix the turbos if they are broken, it is very specific to worn and noisy wastegate actuators only and not anything else specifically.

I would still call BMW and complain about it and see what they say and then I would go anywhere but the dealer and get them replaced - it is a hell of a job, but getbmwparts (tischer) sells them for $1095 and a good indy mechanic should be able to do it in 8-10 hours, so that is another grand or so - if you spend anymore than 3 grand to get it done, you are getting ripped off.

Also - BMW of Beverly Hills is generally the dealer everyone complains about (they seem to just be happy screwing rich kids that don't know any better) - they get the lowest ratings of all BMW dealers in the area and people on the forums are constantly complaining, maybe try Alexander or Century, they seem to be better liked, or get a direct reference from people here who are in the area.

Last edited by roadkillrob; 06-15-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Thx for comment! Since my english is not good enough to complain something fluently here, I am kind of afraid to do it..

but don't other Dealership will find out that I already went to that Beverly Hills BMW?

I am concerning if they reject the service because of that. I mean if they think that I went their shop because I got rejected from other dealership.

and also if I go through that diagnostic again and they say same as Beverly, I am paying another 205 for only diagnostic isn't it?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKL335I View Post
Thx for comment! Since my english is not good enough to complain something fluently here, I am kind of afraid to do it..

but don't other Dealership will find out that I already went to that Beverly Hills BMW?

I am concerning if they reject the service because of that. I mean if they think that I went their shop because I got rejected from other dealership.

and also if I go through that diagnostic again and they say same as Beverly, I am paying another 205 for only diagnostic isn't it?

Ask Beverly Hills for a detailed explanation of how they conclude both turbos are bad - post all of that here!

Then contact a reputable independent BMW shop - maybe some LA areas guys can help you there. Post what they say.

No, another dealer won't reject you if you look for a second opinion from them. Yes, they will charge you for the diagnostic.

Now about those valves and air filter....what condition are they in?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Ok. I will and make sure post all that stuffs here.

and U mean when was the last replacement? Sorry because of my English.

It was in new condition when I got it back from Indy shop for inspection couple month ago..