Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335 coupe
Repaint areas and repairs after hail

Hello
My car suffered hail damage recently that is too extensive for just PDR. Parts of car will need to be repainted and some may need to be replaced ( hood and trunk maybe roof , they are not sure yet). My question is will this car ever be the same once they start doing all this stuff, someone said that the paint consistency is never the same as factory and it will fade differently Additionally if parts of car are painted, it will never really match because new paint vs old paint. Repainting would devalue car substantially and i should get an adjuster to have the car totaled. Car is a 2009, i owe about $ 15k still on it. Once they have to start taking things apart and repainting areas, would you want your car back after that? Do you think i should ask for it to be totaled and do you think i have a good argument? and should i get an adjuster involved?
thanks so much, i have to do this soon because they just notified me thursday car needs repainting in certain areas.. it is at a BMW certified shop
thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Repaint areas and repairs after hail

So much bad info here. No way the insurance company will total the car if it can be fixed for less than 75% of the current value, so scratch that idea.

The real question is: How important is 'perfect' to you?

Paint is cosmetic. The car will be as reliable, comfortable, quick, etc as it was before.

If you require perfection, the trade it after getting it fixed. But remember: perfect or not, they all wear, fade, & depreciate. I'm sure you aren't as good looking as you were a couple of years ago either....

You can go through life lamenting every imperfection, or you can enjoy the ride. Only you can make that call.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by dmatre; 06-15-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
Pretty good take. The sad reality is that BMW's are just giant depreciating money pits that only make sense if you enjoy them in the moment. If you are worried about inconsistent fading and plan on keeping the car a long time, talk to the dealer to find out how much more it would cost to repaint all the major surfaces. An extra $1500 out of pocket might be worth it to you. Heck, you've always wanted to put that aftermarket bumper on there, now is the perfect time to do it.

As the quote below suggests, if you are worried about it, it may be time to think about moving on. If you are worried about being upside down, just remember that depreciation on your car is may still be outpacing your payoff at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
So much bad info here. No way the insurance company will total the car if it can be fixed for less than 75% of the current value, so scratch that idea.

The real question is: How important is 'perfect' to you?

Paint is cosmetic. The car will be as reliable, comfortable, quick, etc as it was before.

If you require perfection, the trade it after getting it fixed. But remember: perfect or not, they all wear, fade, & depreciate. I'm sure you aren't as good looking as you were a couple of years ago either....

You can go through life lamenting every imperfection, or you can enjoy the ride. Only you can make that call.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM

Hello
Thank you very much for your responses, i really appreciate it.. I am not worried about perfection that much, i just would be concerned about the issue that the paint may wear differently... would you demand they total it ( or get an adjuster to do that), the insurance companies want to get away as cheaply as possible, how do i know they are doing what is in my best interest,Im sure they are not because they want to keep the job cheap. I just want it to be fixed right and don't trust the insurance company, knowing they will do minimum...
Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM

The quality of repair/paint has everything to do with the body shop & almost nothing to do with the insurance company. Don't automatically go where they refer you. Talk to friends, make contact with local BMWCCA chapter. Find out who does good work & who to stay away from.

The people advising you that it won't be the same are likely the same folks who go to the cheapest body shop so that they don't have to pay the deductable out-of-pocket.

There are plenty of body shops around that do top-notch work. Spend a bit of time researching and you'll likely find a place that does work up to your standards.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540
They're not just going to total the car because you want them to. It requires the damage to add up to at least 75% of the cars value

BMW Level 1 Master Tech
2006 E60 M5
2006 E60 525i
2001 E39 540i (sold!)
Old 06-15-2014, 03:06 PM

hello,
i took it to a BMW certified shop at the dealer where i had work done on a previous BMW , minor repair but they had to repaint the bumper and did a good job. They happen to be a liberty mutual shop so that helped. The car is actually in there now and repairs are happening as we speak. They thought they could do PDR but i just got word Friday that some repainting is required , thats where i got concerned. I wonder if pieces have to be replaced, do they already come painted? thanks for the clarification on totaling the car, i didnt realize that, so thanks for that information.. thanks for your words of advice , i appreciate it very much getting objective opinions, thanks very much..
Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 AM

Hello
Just received word entire car needs repaint. I know new paint can be detected in matter how good the paint job is. At this point do I have any leverage with insurance company nights car value significantly reduced if entire car is repainted? Would you look at this as a positive thing, new paint on a 5 year of car or as a negative in that it's not original paint, and value will decline significantly because the new paint could be detected at trade in. Not sure when I a. Trading in, probably a year or two,, would it even matter then as far as value? Do I get an adjuster? Car worth 19-20k, total repairs are $7k, no way they will total it unless an adjuster could convince them too but could they when repair cost so far apart from a total? I'm just worried because I don't want to be taken, thanks so much
Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaBlackson View Post
Hello
Just received word entire car needs repaint. I know new paint can be detected in matter how good the paint job is. At this point do I have any leverage with insurance company nights car value significantly reduced if entire car is repainted? Would you look at this as a positive thing, new paint on a 5 year of car or as a negative in that it's not original paint, and value will decline significantly because the new paint could be detected at trade in. Not sure when I a. Trading in, probably a year or two,, would it even matter then as far as value? Do I get an adjuster? Car worth 19-20k, total repairs are $7k, no way they will total it unless an adjuster could convince them too but could they when repair cost so far apart from a total? I'm just worried because I don't want to be taken, thanks so much
You are worrying tooooo much about this issue. You took your car to a reputable bodyshop. You are getting a total repaint on a 5 yr old car. I am sure your car will look better than what you had. Every car I've owned with the exception of one (my M5) was painted for one reason or another. Most likely the bodyshop will warranty their work for X number of years or the life of the car.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
a really great body shop will warranty the repair for as long as you own the car, and besides that kind of repair will be posted on Car faxes. of you were afraid you should pocket the 7K and then go trade the car in on a new one
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
I'd kill, not literally, for a repaint of my hood and I wouldn't be worrying that the swirl marks didn't match
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM

If your car is 5 years old then you are beyond the point where paint will affect the value.

It sounds like you require perfection, so the best course would be to sell it if you can't live with the thought of a repaired car.

Personally, I'd enjoy the 'like new' 5-year old car, & consider myself lucky.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
The auto body shop that repaired my BMW did a great job that I couldn't tell it had been repainted. I'm sure if you're knowledgeable about body work one might have found some signs. But to the average person it looked great. And they provided a lifetime warranty against fading. You did hear correctly that they cannot perfectly match paint...which means they'll have to feather it with existing panels. That's what they did on mine and I couldn't tell where they did it. As others have said if you have the work done at a quality repair shop your car should look great and last.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Hello Everyone,
thanks for the information and opinions... the entire car is being repainted except bumpers and mirrors. They were able to safe the roof without replacing it so that major repair won't be needed. I was worried about potential trade value but you are right, that the age of the car is more of a factor and by the time i sell it if i sell it , the paint issue may not be as big a factor in overall value. I am concerned it will show up on car faxes but what can i do.. nothing about that.. they said its better paint than factory, its a BMW certified shop and the paint has a lifetime warranty.. so i am going to try to concentrate on the positives...and enjoy my " like new 5 year old car " ! thanks again for your input , it really means a lot thank you..