Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Should I Keep my 2011 328i Coupe

This is my very first post -- I'm looking for some input from those who know these cars because I do not. After driving mediocre cars for 30 years, I finally decided to get a real car, a BMW.

I was originally considering a 335i but I don't drive fast and concerned about the higher cost of ownership because of the twin-turbo and higher performance design.

So a week ago I bought a certified pre owned 2011 328i Coupe:
- M-sport
- Sport suspension (I believe all the coupes have this)
- Black sapphire on black interior
- moon roof
- Nav system
- Clean inside and out
- Aluminum fish scale interior trim (I donít know what itís called but I do not believe its plastic / Glacier)
- Audio system with speakers in the window columns (I think itís an 8-speaker system Ė it sounds incredible)
- Black exterior trim with black kidney grills (looks ominous with dark window tint)
- iDrive
- Paddle shifters

The car looks brand new and drives beautifully.

--

Unfortunately, there were a couple of problems that I experienced during purchase of my car: The sale was not very smooth due to several reasons -- I donít want to get into all the problems, just one in particular...

During the test drive the sales person sold me on the pretense the car had Bluetooth and BMW assist. As I was about to drive off the lot after completing the purchase, the sales person offered to sync my iPhone with my carís Bluetooth system but here's the problem:

My car is not equipped with factory Bluetooth!!!

The dealership gave me a hands-free Bluetooth speaker system, but it sucks. I was expecting my iPhone to work interactively with my iDrive but I have now learned that it is impossible.

After discussing this with the dealership, they are offering to get me into a different car -- this is where I am looking for some input from the experienced BMW owners:

Should I keep my car even though it does not have Bluetooth, or should I start from scratch and get different 328i Coupe?

Here are some additional details which should be weighed in my decision and your opinions:

- I bought the extended maintenance but now I realize that might I might be better off without it.
- The car has 50k miles
- Out the door I paid $31k for it (here's my chance to get out if I paid too much)

Should I consider getting into a different BMW hoping for a better deal? Iím not an experienced car buyer by any meansÖ

Thanks for reading my post.
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
The dealer provided incorrect information, and only you can decide if not being able to play music via bluetooth is a deal breaker. I have a similar car with the following differences: 6MT, no iDrive, no high-end audio. Bluetooth works perfectly for making/receiving phone calls. I do not know if bluetooth works for audio in my car. I've not been able to make it work. When I want to listen to internet radio or music store in my smartphone, I just plug the smartphone in the USB + Aux plug in the center console. I really like my car. For me not being able to play music via bluetooth is not a deal breaker.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I care more about the car's driving performance than the ability to play music through bluetooth. That is why I got my car. Bluetooth kills the audio quality anyway. I use a wire and download music to mine. Get an older 335i with less miles CPO'd for less cost. 328i engine defintely seems to have less maintenance issues but not a lot of people on here screaming about issues with the turbos either. HPFP issues have seemed to disolve as well.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
I care more about the car's driving performance than the ability to play music through bluetooth. That is why I got my car. Bluetooth kills the audio quality anyway. I use a wire and download music to mine. Get an older 335i with less miles CPO'd for less cost. 328i engine defintely seems to have less maintenance issues but not a lot of people on here screaming about issues with the turbos either. HPFP issues have seemed to disolve as well.
Agreed.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i M-Package
I have the same car CPO with less miles and paid less. I paid a few thousandth less but I did drive a few hours to a country side to get mine.

Not sure the issue with your bluetooth, wouldn't that be covered under the CPO you got?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
For me, a deal breaker would be if I couldn't get/make calls via Bluetooth (call comes in, you accept it by clicking the iDrive controller, you talk and listen via the car's speakers). From your description, I can't tell if you can do that. Music over Bluetooth is OK, but quality isn't great.

You want to get in your car and every time think, "I really love this car." If, instead, you think, "Man, I wish this had Bluetooth music," you should get another. I love getting in my car every time. Things that would prevent me from feeling that way are a 428 engine, non-Sport seats, no Navigation, or a dull color ( black, white, grey). So we're all different, but it think we should all follow the "I love this car" standard.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I agree that Bluetooth music is no big deal as for me I just keep my iPod plugged in 24/7. The deal breaker is not being able to use the phone over Bluetooth. You were sold an option you did not get.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 06-22-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
If the car has the "guts" for bluetooth, ask the dealer to add it...
Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I agree that Bluetooth music is no big deal as for me I just keep my ipad plugged in 24/7. The deal breaker is not being able to use the phone over Bluetooth. You were sold an option you did not get.
I agree with these comments. My 328i is the first car that I've owned that had bluetooth with the phone. I had used it in rental cars but hadn't gotten used to it. Now, I love being able to use my bluetooth and will be disappointed in any car that doesn't have it. If you drive much, you'll find that handsfree is required in many states, which is yet another reason to insist on the bluetooth.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
98% of our vehicle is the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. 2% is the stupid gadgets everyone is advertising to try and get folks to buy their cars. Get a KIA Optima. You will be ecstatic over their bluetooth operation! It's a good looking and performing car for at least 6 months before the panels start rattling and the break pedal starts honking at you on hard stops.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Blutooth kills sound quality
Blutooth is a gimmick
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Blutooth kills sound quality
Blutooth is a gimmick
Agreed for sound, disagree it's a gimmick. I am driving 170 round trip to my second office twice a week and have multiple work related conversations each way. I use voice commands 100% and it's not just legal, but much safer than holding a phone and dialing when everyone is doing 80+ MPH around you on the NJ turnpike.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
It is certainly your option as to what you end up doing, but using blue tooth for phone calls was what made me trade in my Z4 for my current vehicle. My Z4 didn't have it and I needed it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.