Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
AUTO Climate Control setting Q

OK... so my climate control in the 2011 seems different from my 2007.

In the 2007, I set it to AUTO and the temp I want and system varied the air distribution and fan speed. It was perfect and I loved it.

In my 2011, I set it to AUTO and the temp I want... The system seems to vary the air distribution, but the FAN SPEED never changes unless I manually increase/decrease it using the rocker button. Is that normal? In the manual it says the air volume would be adjusted automatically in the AUTO program: AUTO program offers the ideal air distribution
and air volume for almost all conditions

My car sits in the sun all day, when I start it up the interior is probably 110+ F... and with the A/C set at 65, the fan stays on the lowest speed (in the AUTO setting) until I manually increase it to cool down.

Is that normal operation for this MY or am I doing something wrong??

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
When you have it in Auto on your '11, what you are seeing is not the fan speed, it is the "intensity setting" of the auto program. The bar graphics won't move even though the fan will increase and decrease. Obviously, you have to have it in a more "intense" position for it to change much. Put it at least in the middle "intensity" on Auto and you should feel and hear the change. If you take it out of Auto, you will see the graphics change to show the actual fan speed that you are manually changing.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
When you have it in Auto on your '11, what you are seeing is not the fan speed, it is the "intensity setting" of the auto program. The bar graphics won't move even though the fan will increase and decrease. Obviously, you have to have it in a more "intense" position for it to change much. Put it at least in the middle "intensity" on Auto and you should feel and hear the change. If you take it out of Auto, you will see the graphics change to show the actual fan speed that you are manually changing.
Thanks for that explanation... I'll give it a try and pay closer attention to see if I notice the fan speed fluctuating.

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 AM

If you put it in "auto", choose your "intensity" and turn the temp up really high, and then down really low, you'll hear the fan kicking up and down as well as shutters opening and closing, but you won't see the graphics move like in your old BMW, but you can definitely hear it doing its auto job. It took me a while when I went to my '11 from my 07 E92 to grasp this new set up too.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: '11-335i conv., 09RX350
Thank you all for the explanation - I did not know this and will try on my 2011 335i - I, too, missed the more logical display of the E46 I had before, and did not understand how the 'new' display functioned. In essence, then, the setting of the 'fan' that is apparent - when the Auto setting is effective - limits the max speed of the fan only. Seems a little like a solution looking for a problem, but so be it.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:48 PM

I'm glad you perfectly understood what's not so easy to explain! For me, I keep the intensity right in the middle which is perfect for me. I'd rather it took a few extra minutes to cool than to ride in a windstorm, but that's just my prefers nice, others like the quick cool down with max fan. In your '07, you should have had 3 intensity settings in your idrive, it is the same principle just different controls. I'm glad you got it and hope you find your perfect intensity.