Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Trunk lid brake lights

Both lights are not coming on. Checked bulbs H21W with meter and both okay as well as sockets. Color code is Green/yellow for left bolb, Green /red for right bulb. Because two separate wires are used, it is highly unlikely that wires are broke in bundle that is flexed from car body to lid. I have no diagram. If someone has diagram please let me know. Must be a common area that they are connected to or maybe the brake switch.
Ads by Google
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Are you aware that the trunk lid lights are used only for the dynamic brake force indication? (Also rear fog lights, when so equipped.) They illuminate only under heavy braking. You can shove the pedal through the floor while stopped or parked and they will remain dark.

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Are you aware that the trunk lid lights are used only for the dynamic brake force indication? (Also rear fog lights, when so equipped.) They illuminate only under heavy braking. You can shove the pedal through the floor while stopped or parked and they will remain dark.
I was getting an exterior light failure on panel, so I thought it was those lights. Nice to know
I don't have a problem. THANKS
Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
I was getting an exterior light failure on panel, so I thought it was those lights. Nice to know
I don't have a problem. THANKS
Hmmm. If you have a light failure indication, it sounds like there may still be a problem. Could it be one of the bulbs in the outer taillight housings? There are brake light bulbs there. Also check license plate bulbs, back up light bulbs, etc.

If all bulbs are good, maybe a taillight has a grounding problem. Perhaps a problem in the bulb holders. This can be a difficult problem to diagnose.

On my X3, I had an intermittent "bulb out" indication for the rear. I never could diagnose the problem. So I replaced the bulb holders on both taillights. That cured the problem, and it has never re-occurred. I looked at the old bulb holders, but never could identify a defect.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
Hmmm. If you have a light failure indication, it sounds like there may still be a problem. Could it be one of the bulbs in the outer taillight housings? There are brake light bulbs there. Also check license plate bulbs, back up light bulbs, etc.

If all bulbs are good, maybe a taillight has a grounding problem. Perhaps a problem in the bulb holders. This can be a difficult problem to diagnose.

On my X3, I had an intermittent "bulb out" indication for the rear. I never could diagnose the problem. So I replaced the bulb holders on both taillights. That cured the problem, and it has never re-occurred. I looked at the old bulb holders, but never could identify a defect.

I checked bulb holders with meter and all lights in front and back. Everybody works good except brake lights in lid. Now i don't get failed exterior light. I have inspection due next month and I was worried I might not pass. However, if they say something I can say it only comes on with dynamic braking, so I'm cool.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 AM

trunk lid brake lights

It makes sense to me that if dynamic brake is activated , no pedal pushed a brake light should come on. It is logical. Sometimes you can't see the forest because of the trees.

I use to write logical programs with a Programmable Logic Controller in the auto industry. Just been retired to long. I don't understand why the manual doesn't state the luggage lid brake lights are activated by DTC. Of course BMW wants to do all the work and thinking because its a luxury car. You can afford repairs, no matter what the cost.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There is a known problem with early build E92 bulb holders. You may need new ones

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-21-2014, 05:23 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
There is a known problem with early build E92 bulb holders. You may need new ones
Yup. Does the OP have an E92? I can't tell. Anyway, before the build date (on the socket itself) 1/22/08, they had an issue, I want to say high resistance. They added an additional "retention collar", and then a few months later, they starting using extended retention clips. This info was from my Bentley manual. There was an SIB for it too that I learned about from a fellow member here. (Mine worked perfectly fine too, but I had to change it out to get rid of the code.) It cost me $16.74 per socket at the time, a couple of years ago, and that's with all brand new bulbs too. Add shipping though.