Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
REQUEST: E90 LCI Xenon AHL Headlight Connector to FRM Connector Wiring Diagrams

Need the LCI wiring diagrams related to all the wiring (Xenon lights, AHL, signal light, and 3-LED light) between the front left and right Xenon AHL headlights, connector X13420 and X13421 respectively, to the FRM module, connectors X14260 and X14261.

Trying to get the 3-LED light group working on my pre-LCI to LCI conversion. Haven't found any definitive DIY's out there. There have been posts stating that pin 7 of headlight connectors go to pins 50 (left) and 8 (right) of X14260, but I completely disagree as those are used for the turn signal/parking lights but the 3-LED lights work independently of the LCI signal/parking lights, which are working just fine on my conversion.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/
http://www.bmwgm5.com/

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Although I appreciate the links (which I'm very familiar with), those are for the pre-LCI models to MY2008; it does not cover the LCI MY2009+ models, which I believe is because BMW rolled the wiring diagrams into the ISTA suite
Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM

It's the exact same pinout.

That's why it's possible to do an FRM3 retrofit on an early model E9x originally equipped with a FRM1.

Also ISTA is outdated and no longer in use. Dealerships use ISIS now.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM

I would just tap power off the AE circuit, inside the housing. Much easier than running a line from the headlights into the cabin, where the FRM is.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
It's the exact same pinout.

That's why it's possible to do an FRM3 retrofit on an early model E9x originally equipped with a FRM1.
The positions of functions may not change to make the FRM2/3 backwards compatible, but that doesn't mean unused pins have not been utilized in the FRM2/3.

As can be seen in this video showing the full spectrum of lighting functions on an OEM LCI Xenon AHL headlight, the 3-LED light group is powered independently of all lights (it may appear they are powered the same as the light rings, however, at time 0:49, you will see the 3-LED light group turn off while the light rings remain powered):

This light group is also enabled/disabled via the FRM2 (only) setting "SL_V_PO_RL_FKT", which is reported to be ignored in the FRM3 module (causing consternation on FRM3 owners wanting to code the "Corner LED delete").

Pin 7 at the LCI headlight connectors is the power source to these light groups (they are unused on pre-LCI headlight connectors); but no one has provided definitive pin location(s) on the FRM module itself. Some claim these go to pins 50 (left) and 8 (right) at the FRM, but these are for the side lights/parking lights, connected to pin 1 at the headlight connectors, and are enabled/disabled separately via the "SIDEMARKER_US_NFRM" setting.

Quote:
Also ISTA is outdated and no longer in use. Dealerships use ISIS now.
I only brought up ISTA as the introduction of the demise of BMW's stand-alone WDS, which was used as the basis for interactive online wiring diagrams such as through bmw-planet.com; I'm well aware of the current software suite that BMW's uses at its dealerships today.

Quote:
I would just tap power off the AE circuit, inside the housing. Much easier than running a line from the headlights into the cabin, where the FRM is.
It's not about being "easier" but sating my fastidious OCD appetite; I absolutely don't want them slaved to the light rings though. And having the freedom to code them whenever I want them enabled or disabled gives me all the flexibility that BMW intended. I will be pulling the entire dash pad and kick panels out as part of my iDrive/NBT navigation retrofit, so that's when I plan to wire up the FRM to power the 3-LED light groups separately; hence, my request for specifically LCI wiring diagrams (not just pin-outs) so I can determine the modifications necessary.

Since pin 8 of the headlight connectors are not used in OEM Adaptive Head-Light systems, I can re-pin to pin 7 at the headlights, and whichever pin(s) at the FRM. This will greatly simplify the process.

Last edited by Augster; 06-20-2014 at 03:44 PM.