Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
BMW Nav System

First, I have to say that my 2011 328i has the worst navigation system that I've ever seen. They should be ashamed at how inaccurate it is. I was driving down a state highway that's been 65 mph for at least 15 years and it thought the speed limit was 30 mph. I was driving through Manhattan, Kansas and it was trying to force me to zigzag through crappy residential streets instead of taking my down the faster arterials. It's routinely off by over a half hour on a two hour drive in it's time estimates. In short, it's borderline worthless.

My question is whether or not the 2014 update does anything to fix the horribly pathetic software algorithms that are running or if it still a total POS that merely has updated streets. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland328 View Post
First, I have to say that my 2011 328i has the worst navigation system that I've ever seen. They should be ashamed at how inaccurate it is. I was driving down a state highway that's been 65 mph for at least 15 years and it thought the speed limit was 30 mph. I was driving through Manhattan, Kansas and it was trying to force me to zigzag through crappy residential streets instead of taking my down the faster arterials. It's routinely off by over a half hour on a two hour drive in it's time estimates. In short, it's borderline worthless.

My question is whether or not the 2014 update does anything to fix the horribly pathetic software algorithms that are running or if it still a total POS that merely has updated streets. I appreciate the help.
Wait... since when does it show speed limits???

When I bought mine in january it came with the 2014 maps and I've never had any issues with it. It's way more helpful than my Android device. I have zero complaints and think it is very well done!

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Wait... since when does it show speed limits???

When I bought mine in january it came with the 2014 maps and I've never had any issues with it. It's way more helpful than my Android device. I have zero complaints and think it is very well done!
It doesn't show speed limits, but for every mile I drove, my ETA dropped by about a minute, which indicated that I was going about twice as fast as it thought I was.....or at least that was my take.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
First, I have to say that my 2011 328i has the worst navigation system that I've ever seen.

Those in-the-know mount an iPhone in view.

But the well heeled don't devote their phone to that - they're way too busy yakkin' away, closing deals + sweet talkin' babes.

So. What do we sophisticates gravitate to? COSTCO!

Yep, the place to be, for convenience and quality shopping. Just look at the Garmin 2598: Excellent 3D overhead view; sa-mooth operation. Accurate arrival time; displays speed and speed limit. BMW? TAKE A HINT....!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Puzzled [04].jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	447057

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 06-20-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
I use Google nav in my Android phone mounted near center vent. The only useful thing out of the BMW nav is the i-drive screen.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 PM

I actually have a incredibly good Garmin Nuvi 3597 LMTHD that I use in my Silverado or when I'm in a rental. It's a great GPS that does everything pretty well. Smartphones have their place and I can see why people use them, but in terms of straight, basic GPS, nothing beats my Garmin. Of course, that is what has screwed up my perception of the GPS on my BMW. I went a route today that wasn't the fastest or the shortest, but a good one that I've went many times. When the GPS finally decided that it was stuck with me going that route (after telling me to turn around about 20 times), it said that it was going to take me 2 hours and 20 minutes to get home from where I was (about 85 miles). I made it in half that time.

Again, I'm really just curious to know if anyone got the 2014 update and felt that their GPS actually worked better. I don't want to waste good money updating the NAV if it's going to be the same thing. I like being to able to have a split screen where I can see the bigger picture as well as the upcoming roads and it's fairly easy to use once you get used to it, but I am not a fan of trying to figure out if I can trust it.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
I've installed the 2014-2 maps in my 2011. It seems do do a better job than before, but still sends me "long way around" on occasion.

Like you, I find that my high-end Garmin is superior to the BMW factory system, but I also like the factory split screen and directions via the sound system.

Check the map update thread for an update at far less than dealer prices. If you're still dissatisfied you won't have invested much.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
GPS I have a 2013 328i and the gps does not have roads on it that I have been traveling on for five years. How do you get a 2014 update. My dealer does not seem to be interested.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar mike View Post
GPS I have a 2013 328i and the gps does not have roads on it that I have been traveling on for five years. How do you get a 2014 update. My dealer does not seem to be interested.

Why, you go directly to COSTCO and buy their top-line Garmin, $189.00, with no-charge updates forever. Take in rental cars. Take as pedestrian. Like an iPhone, zooms w/finger spread.

BMW?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar mike View Post

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If you want it for the factory nav, refer to the third paragraph in post 7; "Check the map update thread for an update at far less than dealer prices. If you're still dissatisfied you won't have invested much."

You'll be provided with a link to the most up-to-date maps along with instructions on how to perform the update yourself.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
No issues with BMW NAV. I use it all the time and I love the traffics updates. Make sure your route preferences are set the way you like. There are settings for avoiding tolls, highways, shortest, fastest, etc. I upgraded to the 2014 maps and I haven't noticed any difference in functionality. The reason the times change is because of traffic sensing not because of speed limit postings.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 06-22-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
I definitely found that the 2011 maps were not incredibly accurate - updated to the 2014-2 and it was much better. I agree with you because mine will still send me bizarre ways sometimes but rarely now.

I also agree that a stand-alone Garmin is spot-on. I personally don't care for phone GPS since sometimes they can lag based on one's connection and then I miss a turn or something.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 06-23-2014, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:

Did you happen to take a look at the NAV Routing criteria options (manual page 144-145) the previous owner may have set? Maybe it's set to something like "Short Route" and it's calculating your route based on the shortest mileage and not the most efficient route or something... Or Dynamic destination guidance is set ON and it keeps rerouting based on traffic or something. My 2011 is just fine!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Did you happen to take a look at the NAV Routing criteria options (manual page 144-145) the previous owner may have set? Maybe it's set to something like "Short Route" and it's calculating your route based on the shortest mileage and not the most efficient route or something... Or Dynamic destination guidance is set ON and it keeps rerouting based on traffic or something. My 2011 is just fine!
Good questions and I did check that. On longer trips, it actually has done a decent job of selecting the route that I really should take (even though it is always wrong by 25+% on the time it will take to drive the route). On the trip I mentioned above, the route I drove was actually 6 miles longer than the route that Google, Garmin and any other mapping service recommends and in theory, takes a few minutes longer. I just took it for a change of pace. I was shocked that whoever put the map together for BMW was so clueless about the posted highway speed on K-15 in Kansas. As mentioned above, the GPS doesn't show the posted speed limit like Garmins do (another disappointment in an expensive system) but when it says it's going to take you 100 minutes to drive 50 miles, it's pretty easy to tell what it's thinking and frustrating when you know that the road has been a 65 mph road for over a decade.

I appreciate the feedback and it tells me what I needed to know.

Last edited by Flatland328; 06-23-2014 at 05:36 AM.