Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: I3 Rex
Anyone with a dead i3?

Just took possession of our i3 REX on Monday, May 26, 2014. We did not order the upgrade to navigation system (professional navigation) preferring to stay with (business navigation) that comes with the car. Problem: navigation was not in car. Contacted dealer, waiting to hear from BMW. Additionally, the engine light keeps coming on. The car is 4 days old and I have already been to dealer twice. Not a happy camper right now. Does anyone else have the same issues?
Car has promise. Let's see how well BMW responds to issues.
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Anyone with a dead i3?

we took possession of the i3 on Memorial Day. Since then the car has been to the dealer at least six times. It's there right now for the seventh day. It died when our daughter picked it up from the last service. In addition to the mechanical and electrical problems, the car was delivered to us with no navigation. Still waiting to hear from BMW about a solution. Needless to say, we are deeply regretting buying this car. We never had a problem with the Active E. My Tesla is on order. My poor husband can deal with this mess.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest. I merged your two posts into a thread in the BMW i forum. Sorry to hear about the troubles, it sounds like you got a lemon! I would look at your state lemon laws and simply return the car.

Keep us updated,
Tim
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
General problem with bmws not just i-series. My BMW x1 was in the shop around 6 times that first year and continues to go. I hate it
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 06-27-2014, 07:41 AM

We were given an x1 as a loaner car for our dead i3. I hate it as well. My daughter's Honda CRV has a better ride and is much more responsive. The interior is also more comfortable. BMW better sharpen their pencils and get their act together. I hope you resolve your car issues. It's so disappointing and unfair to have a new car that's wrought with problems. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
I actually love my x1 I just don't like the brand BMW and I don't stand for it. I think my x1 has amazing handling and torque like non-other especially on a track
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW i3
The issue is probably incompetent setup by the dealer.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Master Tech!

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW i3 14IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoreemissions View Post
we took possession of the i3 on Memorial Day. Since then the car has been to the dealer at least six times. It's there right now for the seventh day. It died when our daughter picked it up from the last service. In addition to the mechanical and electrical problems, the car was delivered to us with no navigation. Still waiting to hear from BMW about a solution. Needless to say, we are deeply regretting buying this car. We never had a problem with the Active E. My Tesla is on order. My poor husband can deal with this mess.
As an "I" master tech, I can tell you that the navigation issue should have been fixed by your dealer without question and immediately. Reference SIB 65 13 14, see attached.

Regarding the check engine light, I feel your frustration-and I work on the cars! Right now I have an i3 in one of my bays that had an issue that caused a check engine light, and BMW had set up our diagnostic equipment so I could not even see the faults causing the light! After a couple weeks of playing internet and phone tag, we finally got it sorted out so I could at least start diagnosis, but then I had to go back to them and get authorization to replace the faulty component...and another week of playing internet and phone tag again ensued! Now that I have approval to replace the part, it is of course still in Germany...so another 4-10 days waiting for the part. Fortunately, in this case it was actually one of our service loaner i3s that is down, not a customer's. But this is not the first time things like this have happened to me on these cars, as well as other new cars.

Guess the gist of the post is, BMW is still learning about these cars now that they were released to real-world experiences. As a fellow i3 owner as well as a tech I would just ask you to please be patient. I do not know which dealer you work with, but I know at our dealer we do everything we can to get customer's cars back to them fixed correctly and as fast as possible. Just today I stole a part of an unsold i3 to put on a customer's(tailgate latch) so they could get their car back without waiting for the new part to arrive(from Germany, once again).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i01 Nav Retro.pdf (633.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D MSport
can i service our i3 at your place?
oh wait. it wouldn't make it. But I would if i could!
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT