Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325i
Any new developments on code reader's?

I'm looking for something that will read codes on my wife's E90 and can register a battery, I had decided on the BT scan tool but then learned about the much cheaper alternative, NCS expert software. Most of all the searches I did turned up answers but they were all 2 to 4 years old and I just wanted to see if anything else has come onto the scene since.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
I'm looking for something that will read codes on my wife's E90 and can register a battery, I had decided on the BT scan tool but then learned about the much cheaper alternative, NCS expert software. Most of all the searches I did turned up answers but they were all 2 to 4 years old and I just wanted to see if anything else has come onto the scene since.

Surely a Tuesday jest. Set your Google to INPA Cable.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DEU View Post
Surely a Tuesday jest. Set your Google to INPA Cable.
Thanks, I wasn't joking I was really that clueless lol!
Can you recommend a specific seller or type? Researching it again and it seems that some can be too complex or unstable to get working.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I have the Bavarian Technic tool and it's worked well on my car and on my wife's X5. Expensive, but I'm glad to have it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I have the Bavarian Technic tool and it's worked well on my car and on my wife's X5. Expensive, but I'm glad to have it.
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Can you recommend a specific seller or type? Researching it again and it seems that some can be too complex or unstable to get working.
If you're going the INPA route, get the cable from onestopelectronics.com.
They're more expensive than the ebay cables but I've heard they're worth the money (bought one and haven't had any hardware issue).
The problem with INPA is that the software is a real pain to install and get working correctly. You must follow the DIYs to the "T". Also, if you're running 64-bit windows 7, good luck! It will work but the workarounds are ridiculous.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
There are at least two that have lots of people are using with their Android phones and a BT interface on the OBD port. Torque and BMWhat: Google around for them

Additionally, the Bavarian Tech guys have told me they've got a beta version that supports later E9x and F3x cars that they hopefully will be shipping in the next month or so.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Quality HERE

More info HERE
Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
If you're going the INPA route, get the cable from onestopelectronics.com.
They're more expensive than the ebay cables but I've heard they're worth the money (bought one and haven't had any hardware issue).
The problem with INPA is that the software is a real pain to install and get working correctly. You must follow the DIYs to the "T". Also, if you're running 64-bit windows 7, good luck! It will work but the workarounds are ridiculous.

OP - above are words o'wisdom.

I use Bavarian Technic, but it works only for 2009 and older. Later models being addressed; BT claims to be in beta.