Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
Senile women hits 328xi Today

An hour ago i left to get some liquid protein at the health food store. Because i did deadlifts today and ran out of protein -anyway - Before i even made it in to the parking space i was about to pull into ( was about to cut the wheel). This Elderly lady backs up and hits me. Oh sh*t. So i called the police and from there everything was all well for me.

The first picture is what my bmw looked like before and the second was the result of what happens when someone backs up into you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0401141931.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	447855   Click image for larger version

Name:	0624141833.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	447856  

"No matter how much it hurts , how dark it gets or how hard you fall you are never out of the fight" ML

Last edited by Greggl52; 06-24-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2014, 05:51 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
"That'll buff right out."

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully the repairs can be done seamlessly.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggl52 View Post
An hour ago i left to get some liquid protein at the health food store. Because i did deadlifts today and ran out of protein -anyway - Before i even made it in to the parking space i was about to pull into ( was about to cut the wheel). This Elderly lady backs up and hits me. Oh sh*t. So i called the police and from there everything was all well for me.

The first picture is what my bmw looked like before and the second was the result of what happens when someone backs up into you.
Real bummer.

This is similar to the damage to my E46 M3 some years ago when a distracted driver ran into me on CA's I-405 as she was talking on her cell phone. I was stopped in traffic. Saw her coming at me in my rear view mirror and couldn't do anything about it.

She later lied to the CHP that she was on her cell phone.

Anyway, insurance paid for everything and (of course) it wasn't charged against me.

While I was at my insurer's preferred repair shop (State Farm) they noticed that I had 'sand blast' damage to my paint, windshield, headlights, etc. Yes, I had been caught in a windstorm on a Las Vegas trip not too long before.

Long story short, the entire car was repainted, windshield replaced, headlights...under comprehensive (approved by State Farm). The paint job was great!

There are some merits to going to your insurance company's 'preferred' repair shop.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 06-24-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Real bummer.

This is similar to the damage to my E46 M3 some years ago when a distracted driver ran into me on CA's I-405 as she was talking on her cell phone. I was stopped in traffic. Saw her coming at me in my rear view mirror and couldn't do anything about it.

She later lied to the CHP that she was on her cell phone.

Anyway, insurance paid for everything and (of course) it wasn't charged against me.

While I was at my insurer's preferred repair shop (State Farm) they noticed that I had 'sand blast' damage to my paint, windshield, headlights, etc. Yes, I had been caught in a windstorm on a Las Vegas trip not too long before.

Long story short, the entire car was repainted, windshield replaced, headlights...under comprehensive (approved by State Farm). The paint job was great!

There are some merits to going to your insurance company's 'preferred' repair shop.
Thanks for your response i hope my insurance company will do the same (Geico).

"No matter how much it hurts , how dark it gets or how hard you fall you are never out of the fight" ML
Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Her insurance company is gonna get nailed for a nice fat check. Sorry to see that. Good news is, you get to NOT put miles on YOUR car for a while!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Her insurance company is gonna get nailed for a nice fat check. Sorry to see that. Good news is, you get to NOT put miles on YOUR car for a while!
So-o-o-o aggravating. The number of people who back out or pull out prior to a final look never ceases to amaze me.
I ALWAYS watch for backup lights when driving the rows of a parking lot and still get surprised on occasion when a person slams it into reverse and begins backing immediately.

Damage repair at her insurance's expense is fine, but you'll miss your car while likely driving an inferior rental (per a rental thread from a while back).

Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Seriously, I think that can be buffed out.

Any dents? If not, I would just have it polished and see how it looks.

Glad you're ok though

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
This Elderly lady backs up and hits me. Oh sh*t. So i called the police and from there everything was all well for me.
Some police departments will not respond to a collision in a private parking lot unless there's an injury.

Backing up is always a little more risky than driving out. Whenever the parking lot configuration is correct, I find two empty spaces so I can drive into one space and continue to the space in front of it. That way, I don't have to back out.

Another possibility is to back into a space, but that requires much better driving skill. Someone who can do that well probably will be careful if they park in a spot then back out when leaving.

I think that pulling into the space in front of you saves gas because reverse tends to use more gas. Instead, you just drive away if you don't have to back out.

I found that elderly drivers tend to make up their minds then insist. An example would be to change lanes. What I do is to look for an opening, then signal and go. I do not signal for long periods then force my way in. I would rather keep driving.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 06-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Seriously, I think that can be buffed out.

Any dents? If not, I would just have it polished and see how it looks.

Glad you're ok though
I can see a dent although the mass of white paint is the most obvious part.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I can see a dent although the mass of white paint is the most obvious part.
Its pushed in where it is circled in blue ,and where circled in red it is slightly pushed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0624141833.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	448027  

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM

I have a question for you guys. When my car goes into get fixed is it likely that they will loan me a bmw, Or are they going to give me a POS 1999 toyota corrola? Also can only a Bmw dealer or bmw indi shop do body work on my bmw?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
No, it doesn't have to be a BMW specific shop.

For cheap rental cars, search for Aveo in this subforum for a little entertainment.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
No, it doesn't have to be a BMW specific shop.

For cheap rental cars, search for Aveo in this subforum for a little entertainment.
Oh no i am not looking to pay for a rental car i just wanted to know if a shop will give me a rental for free while they are working on my car for however long the shop takes to fix the damage done.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well her insurance is responsible for your rental car, so when you go to the body shop you give them her insurance company and they should have the car at the body shop when you schedule the repairs, and yes they will try to put you into the cheapest car possible, you will have to have her adjuster look at the car and they will also try to send you to the cheapest body shop, but its your decision on where you take the car, so get multiple quotes and references if you can, and you Shall tell her IC adjuster that they will provide you a rental car and it Shall be of comparable size to your car, Her company has to make you Whole! and don't let them talk crap to you, Be a Man and stand your ground, Take control of the situation and you will come out OK.

Stand your ground My Man!
I say again Stand your ground
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
well her insurance is responsible for your rental car, so when you go to the body shop you give them her insurance company and they should have the car at the body shop when you schedule the repairs, and yes they will try to put you into the cheapest car possible, you will have to have her adjuster look at the car and they will also try to send you to the cheapest body shop, but its your decision on where you take the car, so get multiple quotes and references if you can, and you Shall tell her IC adjuster that they will provide you a rental car and it Shall be of comparable size to your car, Her company has to make you Whole! and don't let them talk crap to you, Be a Man and stand your ground, Take control of the situation and you will come out OK.

Stand your ground My Man!
I say again Stand your ground
So should i take it to a local BMW dealer where they will charge the most $$ and definitely provide a good loaner car?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
......For cheap rental cars, search for Aveo in this subforum for a little entertainment.
Kat....Kat.....calling Nordic Kat. Please tell us about that deluxe Aveo.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
So should i take it to a local BMW dealer where they will charge the most $$ and definitely provide a good loaner car?
I would definitely take it to a BMW-certified body shop, if possible. A bargain shop.....well, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328i
Quote:
I have a question for you guys. When my car goes into get fixed is it likely that they will loan me a bmw, Or are they going to give me a POS 1999 toyota corrola? Also can only a Bmw dealer or bmw indi shop do body work on my bmw?
Worse. It will be a Civic hatchback with "dat stance."
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ35 View Post
Worse. It will be a Civic hatchback with "dat stance."
Haha your funny. Very. If that happens i would mind as well walk home from the body shop

Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Does anyone know on how much it will cost to fix the damage on the rear quarter panel?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
These things always cost more than my S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess).

I'm guessing at least 1k; but look forward to the actual estimate.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Quote:
You're the person who suffered the damage. The "grieved" party as it were. You're entitled to have your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice and a comparable rental car.

When it happened to me the repair was done at the BMW dealer (with OEM parts)I chose and the insurance company offered to reimburse me $45. per day for a rental.

Good luck....stand firm....

Last edited by Westech; 06-29-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling....word addition
Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
When my M3 was side-swiped I decided to stay within my insurer's preferred repair shop network. The shop was actually a large Honda repair shop just down the street from me. Yes, they still used BMW parts.

Remember, this was the shop that decided that my entire car needed to be repainted and all (front) glazing, including headlights (covers) replaced under my comprehensive (sand/wind damage).

As previously stated, the paint job was excellent (Honda quality ) and I didn't have to fight with the insurer over minor finish details...the shop took care of everything. The only real issue I had was that they inadvertently switched the windshield wipers (left to right). Quickly taken care of.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
These things always cost more than my S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess).

I'm guessing at least 1k; but look forward to the actual estimate.
Sorry for late response got banned from 1 week to 2 weeks for politcal signatures. But the estimate was a $2000 but then came down to $1400. Taking it into the shop sometime next week.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Do you guys know why when i took the car in for the estimate not only did they take a picture of the damaged rear quarter panel, The shop also took a picture of the front of my car and then they took a picture of my odometer.