Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW i3 wins Automotive Interiors Expo Award 2014

BMW i3 wins Automotive Interiors Expo Award 2014

BMW is on a roll with the all electric i3. Just a few months into production and they are already ramping up product to meet unexpected demand and winning awards. At the Automotive Interiors Expo Award 2014 the jury handed the electrically powered BMW i3 the title of Production Interior Vehicle Design of the Year. The third edition of these awards which recognize exceptionally innovative concepts and solutions in the field of interior design were held yesterday at the Automotive Interiors Expo in Stuttgart.

The selection and use of materials is central to the BMW i brand's all-embracing sustainability concept. This applies on a large scale to the use of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) in the passenger cells of BMW i cars and also comes into play in many details of their interior design. The hallmark LifeDrive architecture creates new scope for optimizing the use of space on board the car and for the design of the interior. The color and trim concept includes extremely extensive use of renewable raw and recycled materials, as well as wood and leather surfaces treated using environmentally sound methods.

Driving review of the all electric BMW i3

The BMW i3 sets out to showcase sustainability through its design, as reflected by its cutting-edge, futuristic looks. The large, clear surfaces and bright ambiance represent an expression of clean air and zero emissions. Large glass surfaces showcase the car's lightweight design and lend the interior an airy, lounge-like character, while also offering the driver a better view over the road. Comfortable entry and a raised seating position are complemented both front and rear by exceptional freedom of movement thanks to an unbroken footwell extending across the full width of the interior.

The car's innovative, exclusive aura is accentuated by signature BMW i design features and new materials, whose stand-out attributes are visible to the eye and palpable to the touch.
25 per cent (by weight) of the plastic used in the interior of the BMW i3 is recycled. The textiles selected for the seat surfaces are made entirely from recycled fibers, ensuring the surfaces display impressive naturalness and quality. The textiles for the roofliner, interior trim, boot lining, instrument panel and floor mats are likewise the product of a sustainable production process. The door trim panels of the BMW i3 are made from kenaf fibers, a plant from the mallow family whose natural structure remains recognizable after the treatment process. Eucalyptus wood from certified plantations in Europe provides the raw material for parts of the instrument panel, while the leather set aside for the interior of the BMW i3 is tanned in a natural process using extract of olive leaves.

This rigorous sustainability-focused selection of materials allows the design of the interior to play a major role in securing the BMW i3's outstanding level of environmental compatibility. Moreover, it provides an immediate window into the all-embracing concept underpinning the world's first premium car developed from the outset to be driven purely on electric power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i3-Automotive-Interiors-Expo-Award-1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	447984   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i3-Automotive-Interiors-Expo-Award-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	447985   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i3-Automotive-Interiors-Expo-Award-3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	447986  

Last edited by tim330i; 06-25-2014 at 07:00 AM.
More about BMW i3 wins Automotive Interiors Expo Award 2014

2013-bmw-i3-us-launch 12013-bmw-i3-us-launch 22013-bmw-i3-us-launch 32013-bmw-i3-us-launch 42013-bmw-i3-us-launch 52013-bmw-i3-us-launch 62013-bmw-i3-us-launch 72013-bmw-i3-us-launch 82013-bmw-i3-us-launch 92013-bmw-i3-us-launch 10

Advertisement