Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti G37S
2008 vs 2011 M3. Which would you buy?

I came across a seemingly great deal on a 2008 M3 with around 51K at a BMW dealership. It has everything i could possibly want. It's a 6MT coupe. Technology Package, Premium Package and Cold Weather Package. It's black with fox red interior. Other than the fact that it's a 2008, i think it's perfect. Dealer is asking around 32K (is that a good deal?) and 3800 for a two year extended warranty which covers everything.

They then sprung a Certified 2011 M3 coupe with competition package and informed me that with BMW Select, my payment would almost be the same. It's also a 6MT but does not have the technology package which i feel I should have (don't you?). They are asking around 50K for this one.

Which one would you buy and why? Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated and if the though is to go with a 2011 and simply wait for the right one with the options i'm looking for, i can always do that. I've waited this long as it is and I feel like my options are limited because i want a MT but have test driven DCT and kinda dig it. Then i say i can never buy an M3 that's not MT, what are your guys' thoughts on this?

I've wanted an M3 for as long as i remember and was close to pulling the trigger twice and I'm now determined to get my dream car. I'm excited just posting the new thread.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Last edited by M3-Dreams; 06-26-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 m3 & 2011 Gti
Since no one replied yet (sadly) i will give you my advice/input. I recommend that you buy a 2010/11 or newer m3. These cars have already depreciated a fair amount and are the best years to buy ( in my opinion) because of the availability of the Competition package and the M button. The competition package gives you bigger wheels ( 19's) and a wider rear track ( half an inch wider i believe). This allows the car to handle better and i find it to be worth it. As far the M button goes you can basically click that button and the car stiffens up and goes crazy. Simply put, it's amazing .

Unfortunately for the earlier year m3's the M button was not available so you would have to set up all these parameters for driving yourself ( which the M button can do for you in a split second). Another thing to keep in mind is that the older m3's 2008 -2010 (roughly) have older and slower I drive systems (or w/e u call them).
Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback Armenier.

The 2008 i'm looking at actually does have the M button as that was included with the technology package back then i believe. it also has 19" Rims.

The 2011 has the competition package but not the convenience package which i would like.

I can always wait around for a 2011 that has everything i'm looking for but as the two cars stand now, there is a $20K difference between the two and if i add warranty to the 2008, it's a $16k difference. Is that difference worth it you think? (Mileage is 25K for 2011 and 50K for 2008)

Thanks again for the response. Hopefully other people will start chiming in too.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Dreams View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback Armenier.

The 2008 i'm looking at actually does have the M button as that was included with the technology package back then i believe. it also has 19" Rims.

The 2011 has the competition package but not the convenience package which i would like.

I can always wait around for a 2011 that has everything i'm looking for but as the two cars stand now, there is a $20K difference between the two and if i add warranty to the 2008, it's a $16k difference. Is that difference worth it you think? (Mileage is 25K for 2011 and 50K for 2008)

Thanks again for the response. Hopefully other people will start chiming in too.
That's a tough decision but personally i would take the 2011. I double checked and the mid model life update was in 2011 ( LED lights, interior trims, competition package , etc). The 2011 has 10mm lower suspension and slightly more stiff. If you are going to keep the car stock ( suspension wise) i would opt for the 2011-2013 due to the stiffer dampers and updated M mode. The 2011 would also have seen less wear and tear from being used or left in the sun. I always prefer to get a used car with low miles because regardless of how well you take care of the car the signs of prolonged usage are present. The only time i would go with the 2008 m3 would be if you are strongly considering tracking the car or doing major modifications and weight savings, which i really can't justify doing on a newer m3 ( 2011-2013).

Also here is a good quote from the wiki page on how the new traction control works with cars that have the Competition package.
"Modifications have been made to the computer governing the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) in M Dynamic Mode. It is reworked and renamed to “Dynamic Traction Control” (DTC) which allows for larger angles of slip in heavy cornering. This translates to the rear end sliding out further than would be allowed on a non-ZCP M3 before the DTC kicks in to stop the tail slide. Also, once the DTC does kick in, instead of cutting power to the wheels in order to correct the slide (which is normal for the DSC on stock M3s), the DTC computer instead applies the brakes to individual wheels in order to keep the car from spinning excessively".
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM

That's a lot of great info. Thanks so much. You definitely have me leaning towards a 2011 which probably means I'll have to wait a little as I work on finding the right one.

I definitely plan on tracking the car but will not be making any mods.

What are your thoughts on DCT vs 6MT? I absolutely love driving stick and have never owned a car that wasn't. I've always thought that I would get a stick whenever I got my M3 but I really had a blast after test driving one with DCT. Just thought I'd pose the question since you've bad such incredible feedback.

Thanks again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Well i have personally owned ( and still own) a dsg gti and a 6 speed manual e92 m3. I have driven both automatic and manual in the m3 and found the manual be ALOT MORE FUN. For certain cars the automatics are amazing and it is a difficult decision to make but for me personally i would pick a bmw manual over a dct. This decision of automatic vs manual also depends on your location (traffic) and reason of use for the vehicle. If you plan to drive alot and there is a ton of traffic i would probably opt for the automatic, which gives u casual or fast shifts and fast 0-60 times all the time. I , however, personally am not in a lot of traffic and find the usage of a manual car fun and extremely bearable. I probably wouldnt mind driving it in traffic sometimes either, simply because i find rowing my own gears alot more fun and its not like im doing 0-60 launches or racing people. Its your call but i would highly recommend a manual since ive driven both and i loved the manual ALOT MORE.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: M4, 2013 Carrera S
Good info. Heavy traffic is frustrating w/ a 6MT. I've owned and driven both 6MT M-cars, currently a Carreras S w/ PDK (Porsche's version of DCT). I will never go back to a 6MT, but I do miss a 4-2, etc, downshift- a DCT car if I recall correctly, will step up or down 1 gear at a time (could be wrong on that, or a bad memory). I prefer to shift up and down anytime I want without my left foot. Just be happy with whatever you get.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've always owned a 6MT and I've enjoyed driving it on a clear highway or in traffic so that's not much of a concern. My preference is definitely a 6MT but after test driving an m3 with DCT I couldn't help but wonder if I should consider it if it's the only option in front of me.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM

One thing i forgot to state ( since i was replying from work ) was that the six speed manual would be more fun for you ( most likely) and when it is engaged in gear the car is the same speed as a dct. The only perk to DCT is that u can engage and disengage gears flawlessly but that is how you are getting the .2 seconds faster speeds. For me that .2 seconds faster is not worth having the "fun" factor taken out. The way i saw the dct was like having someone basically doing half the work for you and all you had to do was move the steering wheel and floor the pedal, which to be was quite boring. Initially the speed factor will be fun but even with paddle shifters it is not the same experience as rowing your own gears, i can speak from personal experience of driving a 911 s, vw gti, and a m3 dct. For me it is a must ( if possible) to get a 6mt and to be honest the most badass function of DCT is launch control, but how many times are you really going to use that? like srsly.... Anyways thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: M3/335/911 G50s/911 Turbo
Get the one with a 6SP and CPO if possible