Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: Future X1?
Bad Dealer Experience - What to do?

So today I made a deal for a new 2015 X1 - negotiated ALL the details, had agreement from the salesman, and was at the point where they were asking me for my credit card to put down the deposit and pick it up on Monday. The computer screen had the pricing and all the terms and conditions waiting to be printed out.

Then the sales manager come over and CANCELLED the deal.

I can't believe how frustrating and disappointing this is.

For background, I was at an Un4gettable event and asked in advance about applying the $1,000 voucher to whatever deal I negotiated. They confirmed I could, and that it came out of BMW USA's pocket, not theirs. They agreed to match a very aggressive price I had via email from another dealership. There were no "misunderstandings". It was a done deal. I was happy...then I wasn't.

The sales manager came over at the very end and gave me some BS about not knowing that the $1K voucher was being applied to the deal. Basically, he wanted me to pay $1K more. The salesman had already confirmed - several times - that the $1K voucher could be applied afterward. There were no misunderstandings. None. The terms were already entered in their computer.

To add insult to injury, the manager made a snide comment about how their customers typically aren't concerned about $500-$1,000 differences in price, and that the "relationship" with the dealership was what they were focused on. I don't know about most people, but $1,000 is real money to me, not to be thrown away.

I went from being extremely excited after a long day of test driving awesome cars, agreeing to purchase a new BWM X1, and making plans to pick it up in 2 days...to feeling like crap and having a very sour taste from the whole experience.

Is there anything I can do about this? I know dealerships get quality ratings, but unfortunately, I filled out my Un4forgetable survey before this happened and gave them great marks. Is there someone at BMW USA who would care about this or get involved? How does BMW handle bad client experiences - does it matter to them?

I almost had a new X1, then it was taken away. What would you do to follow up?
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xdrive 28i
I was working with a dealership. But, my husbands coworker felt I should go to HIS bmw dealer. I went and as soon as I met the dealer I was suppose to work with I had a bad feeling. I already knew what I wanted. Did tons of looking online. Had quotes from the other dealer. After walking around the lot. To look at colors (which was not necessary since I already told him exactly what I wanted) he finally started looking at Inventory. Then He has the balls to say "so can I talk prices with you or will your husband be coming to finish this deal?" As If me being a women meant I couldn't buy my own car! I laughed. He told me some prices. I told him what I would pay, then he proceeded to tell me "if I sold this car to you for that price. It would be an embarrassment to Walt (the person who refered me)."
Needless to say I left that dealer went back to the first one and spent more money for the car I wanted. Had an awesome dealer. Never looked back. So go to a different place. I honestly don't see them giving you $1,000 off a 2015. Most incentives are on 2014 models.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Don't give that dealer the satisfaction of a purchase. Hitting them on their bottom line is the best way to deal with the treatment and attitude you received. I would also write a google review.

My BMW dealer obviously made special note of everything I say (to my surprise). I said I wanted no dealer badges. I said I wanted no test drives when it arrives. I said I want the car delivered to my home. Everything went just as I wanted. They stuck to the deal I emailed and got an agreement back on. Getting you in there on a deal they OK'd and then pulling the deal last minute is like Bait and Switch. SHADY!!! You did good though. 4 out of 5 at that point may have broke and justed signed the papers.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkyamber View Post
I honestly don't see them giving you $1,000 off a 2015. Most incentives are on 2014 models.
It's not a model or year-specific incentive. The "Un4gettable Test Drive" is a special BMW event - a "roadshow" that travels to different dealerships that you need to register for. After the test drive, you get a $1,000 voucher to purchase or lease any BMW (except the new i3) if you take delivery within 60 days. It was explained to me that it comes out of BMW USA's pocket and can be used after you negotiate the final price of the vehicle with the dealer. They confirmed the details several times pre- and post- test drive.

Last edited by SportsActivist; 06-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
How close are you to another dealer?
Is the voucher only valid for that dealership?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
How close are you to another dealer?
Is the voucher only valid for that dealership?
It should be valid at any dealer, at least that's my understanding. Problem is, I got a very aggressive price due to it being month-end and quarter-end. That's over tomorrow - June 30th. It's just a huge hassle go to another dealer, see if they have the car in stock with the same color and options, and if they have the same urgency to sell in July at the quarter-end price I got.

And it very unprofessional to literally take a deal off the table after we agreed on everything in person. If/when I get the car, it's probably going to cost more in both money, time, negotiation/hassle, travel, and wasting weekends continuing to car shop (it's not fun anymore).
Old 06-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
The first thing you should do is name names for the sake of other would-be BMW buyers. Then go buy your new BMW somewhere else.
Or vice versa.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
2015 Rally Red Civic Si Coupe...STOCK!
2013 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, FM Supercharged, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsActivist View Post
It should be valid at any dealer, at least that's my understanding. Problem is, I got a very aggressive price due to it being month-end and quarter-end. That's over tomorrow - June 30th. It's just a huge hassle go to another dealer, see if they have the car in stock with the same color and options, and if they have the same urgency to sell in July at the quarter-end price I got.

And it very unprofessional to literally take a deal off the table after we agreed on everything in person. If/when I get the car, it's probably going to cost more in both money, time, negotiation/hassle, travel, and wasting weekends continuing to car shop (it's not fun anymore).
Go to another dealer. That is your only option. Complaining to BMW is a waste of time. You might not save money but you won't give your money to someone who lied to you.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda
Reading from other comments on Bimmerfest, it seems that complaining to the BMW corporate office in New Jersey is a waste of time. They will tell you that each dealer is independently owned and they have little control of how they... Blah, blah, blah.
The Un4gettable drive coupon IS good at any dealership. It IS also reimbursed to the dealership by corporate, as you suspected. Why they would hold that against you at the last minute is unfathomable.

Go somewhere else. Those guys are jerks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 AM

Last year, I bought my 2014 x1 with the $1000 test drive voucher without any problem. So I can confirm that it's ok to use it to buy all new bmw cars, at any bmw dealers.

I guess the reason they turned your offer down at the end was they realized the price was too low to sell. Or someone else was coming toward the same car, and probably made a higher offer than you.

I think you can post your bad experience at Google review, or Yelp, if possible.

If they wrote some numbers (price) for you, you can use it to ask other dealers to beat or match.

Or you can build one by yourself, if they don't have inventory. Mine was customized as well, it took me 2 months to wait. Price would not be higher for a newly built one comparing with the one from their inventory.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5 6MT
Go buy somewhere else. Even if you complete the purchase at the agreed price afterward, you will have the lingering feeling that the dealer was trying to game you. I have seen high pressure tactics like that in my previous purchase and the best way is to walk away and warn fellow members of the practice of this particular dealer.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by changw1 View Post
Go buy somewhere else. Even if you complete the purchase at the agreed price afterward, you will have the lingering feeling that the dealer was trying to game you. I have seen high pressure tactics like that in my previous purchase and the best way is to walk away and warn fellow members of the practice of this particular dealer.
Sounds like this is what the OP did, walk out after the deal was cancelled, so good on him.
I hope this doesn't put a bad taste in his mouth towards BMW.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the manager made a snide comment about how their customers typically aren't concerned about $500-$1,000 differences in price, and that the "relationship" with the dealership was what they were focused on.
It's really BS.
What kind of relationship? For a year after I bought my x1, I've never contacted them, they have never contacted me either.
And the service department of dealers are totally different group of people. When your car needs any service, I don't think they will regard you have any kind of relationship with them. As long as your car is under warranty, you won't pay a penny, no matter where you bought it.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
You should stop whining and posting on Internet forums looking for sympathy. Selling cars is BUSINESS. You posted that you had another very aggressive price from some other dealer via email you wanted them to match - then you want them to take another $1,000 off that. The sales manager caught wind of your tactics and decided he knew he could sell that car for more money - so he made a business decision, and killed your deal. Why don't you just go to the dealer who gave the internet quote?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Seems like the $1,000 voucher has nothing to do with the dealer's BUSINESS and profit and the dealer seemed to indicate that the CUSTOMER should want to have a RELATIONSHIP with the BUSINESS that is worth $1,000 of the CUSTOMER'S money...

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

BUSINESS indeed...
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
There's so much money chasing nice cars in Texas that most of them won't discount any under msrp.

You get the BMW incentives and like it or else.

I bought a basic X1 s28i with only M sport and Mineral white with $2100 off for Euro delivery from a dealer 2 miles away; and I like the deal.

Everyone with a super car has bid up the HPDE prices to where one can't even get on a track around here.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
The first thing you should do is name names for the sake of other would-be BMW buyers. Then go buy your new BMW somewhere else.
Or vice versa.
I can certainly reveal names, but I want to be professional and allow the dealership to respond before doing that. To give them a chance, I wrote an email to the client adviser (who was great that day) expressing my dissatisfaction with the manager and asking who I could follow-up with (ownership, GM, BMW-USA, etc.) to address this - or at least alert them to shady business practices. It was the sales manager who was unprofessional.

The GM called me today and we played phone-tag, leaving messages. I'd like to see what he says before any next steps.

At the end of the day, it pays to speak out publicly because it may benefit the next buyer even if I do not get a resolution. I know I would have liked to have been warned in advance. It's also great to help others along the way if I can. Social media is one of the few outlets regular people can use to keep businesses honest - or at least make them care slightly more about their reputation.

In fact, I owe a lot to this forum! It was here that I first read about the $1,000 Un4gettable bonus. And if I do buy an X1 (and an honest dealer applies the voucher), I'll have saved money due to this group. Not to mention all the other advice I've gotten here. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark1021 View Post
It's really BS.
What kind of relationship? For a year after I bought my x1, I've never contacted them, they have never contacted me either.
And the service department of dealers are totally different group of people. When your car needs any service, I don't think they will regard you have any kind of relationship with them. As long as your car is under warranty, you won't pay a penny, no matter where you bought it.
My experience with dealerships is in most cases you get much better service taking it to the place you bought it from when under warranty. But that has nothing to do with the "relationship" you have with the sales staff.

I have heard them tell me it is only 500 dollars why argue over such a little amount though. And I say if it's such a little amount just give it to me.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Quote:
I can certainly reveal names, but I want to be professional and allow the dealership to respond before doing that. To give them a chance, I wrote an email to the client adviser (who was great that day) expressing my dissatisfaction with the manager and asking who I could follow-up with (ownership, GM, BMW-USA, etc.) to address this - or at least alert them to shady business practices. It was the sales manager who was unprofessional.

The GM called me today and we played phone-tag, leaving messages. I'd like to see what he says before any next steps.

At the end of the day, it pays to speak out publicly because it may benefit the next buyer even if I do not get a resolution. I know I would have liked to have been warned in advance. It's also great to help others along the way if I can. Social media is one of the few outlets regular people can use to keep businesses honest - or at least make them care slightly more about their reputation.

In fact, I owe a lot to this forum! It was here that I first read about the $1,000 Un4gettable bonus. And if I do buy an X1 (and an honest dealer applies the voucher), I'll have saved money due to this group. Not to mention all the other advice I've gotten here. Thanks everyone!

I am very curious to see how this story pans out. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Dealer Relationship

We bought our BMW from an out of town dealer who gave us a very good price. I did not shop that price with our local dealer because I didn't think it was fair to the out of town dealer and it appeared my local dealer is not aggressive. I did take it to the local dealer for a recall and oil change after a year and they were exemplary.

I would send a note to the owner of the dealership and tell them why you are disappointed. You might get a good response from the owner and it may help them to get rid of the sales manager if he has done this in the past. The worst thing a dealer can have is a bad service department but if he does, he needs the best sales team in the country.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
I have heard them tell me it is only 500 dollars why argue over such a little amount though. And I say if it's such a little amount just give it to me.
Lol, I like it.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Quote:

My experience with BMW of Mt Laurel (NJ) was just the opposite... After generally "agreeing" to a price with the CA, during some final negotiations on details the CA came back and said the manager agreed to knock another $1,000 off.
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5 6MT
What is the outcome of this deal?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
out your experience on facebook
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Hi SportsActivist,
It's a shame you couldn't act quickly and get the Deal printed out before that arrogant Sales Manager came over.
You don't pay for bad treatment or their/somebody elses mistakes.
The only thing I would consider doing to Finalize that situation would be to find out Who Owns the Dealership? BMW or Franchise. Present the Deal to the Top Dog with this is the Deal presented to me and agreed to by me, then cancelled just as I was about to sign by your Sales Mgr. CAN YOU HONOUR THIS DEAL? Bearing in mind you want a quick simple Yes or No answer so you can move on.
Even if these comments are to late I just had to say something because I have purchased Cars out off town because of poor Service/Attitude and Pricing.
How about you let us know your current situation