Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Coding of X1

Hi y'all !

I've seen numerous posts about dealers providing a complimentary, one-time s/w coding changes, right? Is that a given? Is that something dealers do for good will or is it something that dealers are obligated to provide?

Reason I ask, had service done at Passport BMW Marlow Heights MD this last Saturday and I asked for it. I wanted to get rid of that annoying warning screen when the vehicle is first started and I also wanted the door locks to open when the car is shut off. The service advisor flat out stated that coding isn't done at all, violates BMW policies.

So what's the real story here?

Thanks! Vince.
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Yep, for the most part, BMW codes their cars for a specific market and does not budge. Especially something "safety" like the CYA warnings...

Best bet is to get software and code yourself ( There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you can do it yourself.) Software is generally avaiable on line...do google searches or go to the coding forum here on bimmerfest

Or have someone code it for you. Can be done FTF or remotely. I had mine done remotely, added the Alpina Transmission Flash and all my desired coding for a bit over $100
1995 525xit (gone)

Last edited by cwickberg; 06-30-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I guess most dealers won't do coding for you.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Best bet is to get software and code yourself ( There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you can do it yourself.) Software is generally avaiable on line...do google searches or go to the coding forum here on bimmerfest

Or have someone code it for you. Can be done FTF or remotely. I had mine done remotely, added the Alpina Transmission Flash and all my desired coding for a bit over $100
I'm a very willing student and all ears!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i
Check out the BMWhat app (iOS and Android). It has recently added coding to its capabilities. So if you're willing to try coding yourself... It seems well documented: http://www.ivini-apps.com/
Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob9999 View Post
Check out the BMWhat app (iOS and Android). It has recently added coding to its capabilities. So if you're willing to try coding yourself... It seems well documented: http://www.ivini-apps.com/
I'm very tempted to go this route, but want to be sure what I'm getting into.

So where specifically is the ODB connector under the dash? What am I looking for?

Thanks, Vince.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
I'm very tempted to go this route, but want to be sure what I'm getting into.
I thought about trying to figure it out myself, too - for about 10 minutes. After reviewing the many threads and reading about the stories of frustrations and screw ups, I pretty quickly decided that, unless I intended to code multiple cars - e.g. starting a side business doing it for others, which I had no intention of doing - the investment in time and the risk of screwing it up were not worth it for me. I decided instead to use someone that others on this forum had used succesfully for coding X1's.

Depending on how extensive your coding needs are, he'll charge you a reasonable amount (I want to say unlimited regular coding was $100 or so? I added the Alpina Flash for my 6 speed transmission, so mine was a bit more than that), plus take a deposit for the cable (I want to say that was ~ $25?). Then, he'll send you the cable, have you load some free software on the laptop you intend to use, have you hook up the cables, then connect remotely to your laptop to do the actual coding. After the coding, you send the cable back and he refunds your deposit.

I may have felt a little uncomfortable with all that, perhaps, but for the fact that several others on this forum recommended the guy (cwickberg, specifically, recommended him to me and passed along contact info). In the end, it went perfectly. I can't seem to find his user name, but I've got his name and phone number. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Moe 92; 07-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
I went to my dealer and spoke to the service manager about coding the "all doors unlock when vehicle is shut off" scenario. They said they would do it for me, but when they asked their lead technician if he knew how and/or had done it before he said no. Can someone post the lines of code that need to be keyed into one of these tools to perform this coding change? I believe many of us want that change - and could benefit from having the code required. This way we can give it to whoever could perform the coding for us - then we don't have to buy the connector and software. If I can get my hands on the code - I will give it to my dealer, have it done to my car - and post the results!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
I used BMWhat to do the following:

-windows up with remote

-mirrors in/out with remote

-wipers to park with car off

-windows continue motion with open doors

-US sidemarkers off

-passenger airbag chime off

-digital speedo

It's definitely a painless process.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM

bmwhat app

those all seem like good changes. bmwhat app does not seem to be able to do others like turn off camera warning and turn off idrive disclaimer (really annoying every time!)
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 AM

I also just coded with the app. I ordered this on amazon. Unfortunately it looks like this BT adapter does not work with all the app functions. I may return it and get the "official" BMWhat app.

Overall the process was very easy.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

I borrowed an ebay special wifi OBD adapter from a friend; needless to say, it didn't allow for coding. Got the official one and no issues.
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
*retired
Old 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM

I used this one "Simvalley ELM327 WIFI OBD II Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for iPhone iPad". I was not able to code DWA. JBBF. or CSM. Were you able to code those with the bmwhat branded wifi obd?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-18-2014, 01:15 PM

After I coded digital speedometer active,it seems the outside temp display went up by ~10 degrees. Anyone else see that.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:19 PM

I could not code Wipers, security system, and one other i think. Same as nilan probably. My temp display shot up to like 122 degrees after coding and I had to reset my date and time. I also think it was really hot and I had the car sitting for a while.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillan View Post
I used this one "Simvalley ELM327 WIFI OBD II Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for iPhone iPad". I was not able to code DWA. JBBF. or CSM. Were you able to code those with the bmwhat branded wifi obd?

I could code it all with the "official" OBD connector.
*retired
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 35i
Alpina flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Yep, for the most part, BMW codes their cars for a specific market and does not budge. Especially something "safety" like the CYA warnings...

Does it effect the BMW warranty to have the Alpina Flash done??????
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Steve In Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonB View Post
Does it effect the BMW warranty to have the Alpina Flash done??????
No. No warranty issues with that one.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
No. No warranty issues with that one.
Of course there are warranty issues!!! That flash is not stock. It may be BMW programming but it was not intended for our cars. If something goes wrong with the tranny, you will be on your own if the dealer knows about the flash.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Steve In Texas

Sorry if I mislead anyone if Mishmosh is correct. I'd read on this forum that it was not an issue, and - while it isn't possible to prove a negative - I was unable to find an instance of BMW having denied warranty service due to the Alpina B3 Flash. Mishmosh, do you have any specific examples of BMW having denied coverage? Or is your comment above theory only? Just because something is not stock does not necessarily mean that it will void a warranty, of course.

Last edited by Moe 92; 08-21-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
Sorry if I mislead anyone if Mishmosh is correct. I'd read on this forum that it was not an issue, and - while it isn't possible to prove a negative - I was unable to find an instance of BMW having denied warranty service due to the Alpina B3 Flash. Mishmosh, do you have any specific examples of BMW having denied coverage? Or is your comment above theory only? Just because something is not stock does not necessarily mean that it will void a warranty, of course.
It's common sense. If the problem you are having, ie. anything with transmission, may be attributable to the modification to your car that you did, denial of warranty is highly likely. Does not mean other warranty coverages are invalid.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Steve In Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
It's common sense. If the problem you are having, ie. anything with transmission, may be attributable to the modification to your car that you did, denial of warranty is highly likely. Does not mean other warranty coverages are invalid.
So it is only a warranty issue if BMW decides that a transmission problem is attributable to the flash, then? In other words, not necessarily any transmission problem, but only one where BMW blames the problem on the flash? With all the people who've done this flash, I've not found one instance of that having happened - and I looked. Again, I can't prove a negative, but I believe if there was a realistic warranty concern, this board (or similar forums) would be lit up with moaning about it and warnings. Common sense would suggest that if it was going to happen, it would have happened. If you can find one, please do share. If so, I'll thank you for the insight and probably remove the flash until my warranty expires.

As I said, I was wrong in being so black and white when I said there is no warranty issue. BMW has certainly not issued a press release endorsing the flash in this application. Until I see an example of someone claiming that BMW voided their warranty due to the flash, however, I think we're talking about an extremely low risk that I'll be the first. Caveat emptor.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Car manufacturers will look at any reason to deny you warranty. The transmission problem doesn't need to be proven to be because of the flash. If it is there and you have a transmission problem, you will likely be denied. You have to realize also that the alpina flash for other bmws was done only sometime in 2012... I believe with most people doing it in 2013+. That's fairly recent. Also coupled with the fact that transmission problems are not common. I did the Alpina B3 flash with the understanding that I am voiding part of my warranty when I did it.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
So... I used BMWhat to enable digital speedometer, and once I restarted the ignition my temperature reading was like 15 degrees too high... like nilan and Poot Klopp experienced. Does it fix itself and go back to normal over time..???

Last edited by MrT-Man; 08-21-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
Alright, so it seems like the temperature fell back to normal once I drove for a little while.

I'm really loving the digital speedometer, that was worth the price of admission alone. Prior to coding for that, I had to have the steering wheel way too high (relative to where I wanted it) so that I could read the analog speedometer, as the steering wheel would otherwise obstruct it. Now that I have a digital one, I can drive in a much more comfortable position.