Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
BMW i8 allocation orders are open

Bimmerpost got a copy of the order guide, which I've attached.

At the moment, the only trim package you can select in the system is "Pure Impulse." Tera will probably open after most of the orders for '14s are in and Giga (White or Black leather)...might be a while (dealer documents imply only Pure Impulse and Tera will be available for the first two model years).

Everything is standard: HUD, HK Stereo, Adaptive Cruise, etc.

If you have a deposit down and you're first at a dealer that is getting one in the first batch, you just pick a paint and wheel and you're good to go. I would have liked a black leather interior, but if that's 2+ years away, I can live with grey.

Mine is supposed to be produced the last week of August.

2014 Model Year Order and pricing Guides

Last edited by tim330i; 07-02-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Updated with correct 2014 pricing and ordering link
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 Conv & 2014 M6 GC
Smile Ordered mine, too

And same comments - would have wanted black interior, but oh well. Sad that laser lights won't be available in US anytime soon. Also wish that B&O sound was available. WIll be interesting to see if the key fob is 'normal', since rumors of special key were abound - but I bet key will be similar to current BMW fobs. Very excited about sep/oct delivery date!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bacon
The Display Key has been put off until further notice. The key will be the same as the i3 key, standard BMW key fob with slightly different shape and blue BMWi accent around the roundel.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Just a note to all who pre-ordered in the i8 in the US for launch production in August, September, and October - and most of which were Pure Impulse orders (which includes the Carum Spice Gray leather interior) - - found out today that BMW NA told dealers in US that their leather supplier could not meet demand for the initial production runs - so all those who ordered the grey interior full leather package were automatically 'converted' from the Pure Impulse Package to the Terra World package, which unfortunately (for some) is the dark (Dalbergia) brown leather seat with a brown cloth trim. The i8 full leather seats won't be available until early 2015 production and will only be on the MY2015 cars and going forward. (i8's being built now are MY2014).
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Just a note to all who pre-ordered in the i8 in the US for launch production in August, September, and October - and most of which were Pure Impulse orders (which includes the Carum Spice Gray leather interior) - - found out today that BMW NA told dealers in US that their leather supplier could not meet demand for the initial production runs - so all those who ordered the grey interior full leather package were automatically 'converted' from the Pure Impulse Package to the Terra World package, which unfortunately (for some) is the dark (Dalbergia) brown leather seat with a brown cloth trim. The i8 full leather seats won't be available until early 2015 production and will only be on the MY2015 cars and going forward. (i8's being built now are MY2014).
Um, it's only 163 of the orders. So most of the early builds, cars currently in production won't change (they had enough for those). They also aren't "automatically" converted, someone with an order can decline the change, at which point their order becomes part of that dealerships 2015 allocation or choose to take the Tera change and get it this fall.

Basically if you have a Pure Impulse i8 on order and you don't hear from your dealership about a bulletin, you're probably good. But if you are one of the 163 unlucky ones, you'll get a call/email from your dealership. Also, the bulletin just says Aug/Sept production orders. I know someone in October that didn't get a bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf doc08475720140722110241.pdf (375.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM

i heard exact same thing and saw bulletin . . .

. . .but the way I read it was that there are only 163 i8s for launch and this impacted all of them (launch - aug/sep). Post launch, ie: Oct and Nov, not sure.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
. . .but the way I read it was that there are only 163 i8s for launch and this impacted all of them (launch - aug/sep). Post launch, ie: Oct and Nov, not sure.
Until this bulletin, 100% of orders were Pure Impulse (believe me, I know someone who went up the chain to try and spec Tera to no avail).

There are Pure Impulse orders that are scheduled for completion next week (the first batch of US-Spec) ones. My order is in production with Pure Impulse, scheduled for completion on Aug 14th and my dealer says I'm not on the list of affected orders. So it appears 3-4 weeks of orders are making it through without changes.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 PM

WOW - good info and thanks for sharing. My order is in production as of this morning, due to be completed on Aug 15, and they 'adjusted' my original pure impulse order with the Terra world stuff, even changed the wheels, too. Interesting that some people indeed were able to get the pure impulse. By the way, looks like your car and mine will both be completed at same time. when do you think they will actually arrive into US dealers? (I am in Dallas) I am hoping for early september.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM

one other question - I had the Bosch people come out to the house and spec the electrical stuff. are you going to get the charging unit installed? or just use the occasional use cord that comes with the car?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
WOW - good info and thanks for sharing. My order is in production as of this morning, due to be completed on Aug 15, and they 'adjusted' my original pure impulse order with the Terra world stuff, even changed the wheels, too. Interesting that some people indeed were able to get the pure impulse. By the way, looks like your car and mine will both be completed at same time. when do you think they will actually arrive into US dealers? (I am in Dallas) I am hoping for early september.
Huh, then I was close to the cutoff. I'm on the central east coast so I'm probably looking at 4-6 weeks depending on whether the car "just misses the boat" gets to VPC on a weekend, etc. My VPC will be Baltimore. Yours will probably be Galveston. I'm expecting it by the last week of Sept at the latest. Yours probably a week later.

Quote:
one other question - I had the Bosch people come out to the house and spec the electrical stuff. are you going to get the charging unit installed? or just use the occasional use cord that comes with the car?
I'm having a stage 2 GE until installed this week. Total, including installation, is probably going to be about a grand. Got it at Home Depot.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the info. One final question: I heard there is a chance that lots of these early orders will be held up at VPC (Mine is Georgia) because the car is new and still need monroney/epa release. Is that true?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One final question: I heard there is a chance that lots of these early orders will be held up at VPC (Mine is Georgia) because the car is new and still need monroney/epa release. Is that true?
The only hold I've heard of is that if any make it to the VPC before Aug 18th, they will be held until the first customer car is delivered at the Pebble Beach Concours.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 PM

My dealer gave me the sheet with my vin etc and under holds it had two: munroney/EPA, and release. I think the release refers to the Pebble Beach event in mid August. The other one is about the car having to be EPA tested before window sticker can be issued. I read that other cars have sat at port for a few weeks due to that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
My dealer gave me the sheet with my vin etc and under holds it had two: munroney/EPA, and release. I think the release refers to the Pebble Beach event in mid August. The other one is about the car having to be EPA tested before window sticker can be issued. I read that other cars have sat at port for a few weeks due to that.
Here's hoping they've got it sorted out by the time ours land. They've got two months
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bacon
Why would they change the wheels? That makes zero sense. I would check to see if it was a mistake, unless of course you don't mind.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 AM

I agree and will do

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app