Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Luv drivin' my bimmer

Mein Auto: 330i
auto headlight control

My automatic on/off headlight controll seems to have developed a mind of its own. The lights will switch on in broad daylight then swith off when I enter a shaded area. There are other examples of inconsistant behavior that I could list, but I think you get the picture. Any one have similar experiences?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Luv drivin' my bimmer

I noticed that my headlight covers are pretty dirty. I wonder if that could have anything to do with the erratic behavior.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:24 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
The sensor for the headlight control is, I believe, located with the rain sensor where your rearview mirror is mounted to the windshield. Try cleaning that part of the windshield?

Also, the sensor, IIRC, is supposed to look in front and above the car and do some logic based on what the photosensors are telling the computer.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 11-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
On my old 330i, that auto sensor never worked right ... The lights would come on in the morning when I started my car in the garage and then never shut off when I would drive to work even on the brightest days.

I asked the deraler to look at it twice and they came up with nothing.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
That was happening to me. You can have the dealer adjust the sensitivity. There's a TSB for it somewhere out there. I'll post it when I dig it up.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to HUMMM 3
Mein Auto: 02 M3 Coupe, Topaz/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Legend
My automatic on/off headlight controll seems to have developed a mind of its own. The lights will switch on in broad daylight then swith off when I enter a shaded area. There are other examples of inconsistant behavior that I could list, but I think you get the picture. Any one have similar experiences?
Try this: Before starting car in broad daylight, turn the headlight switch to "Off", start the car, turn the headlight switch to the automatic position. There is a very small white dot to the right of the switch, this is the sensor (in my car anyway), cover it with your finger for a moment, The lights should come on. Remove your finger and they should turn off. I think this is like some sort of initialization procedure. Anyway it worked for me. I think the sensor gets confused depending on the amount of light available when you start the car with switch in the automatic position. It probably helps to always turn the switch to off after shutting off the car and only turning it on again to automatic after starting the car. Yes I know this not very "automatic", but it works for me. BTW know that the automatic feature won't work in the fog in the daylight. That's why there is a manual setting.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Luv drivin' my bimmer

OK, I'll try it and let you know. But I can't help but think that something must be wrong because I have had the car for about a year now, and this problem just started within the past couple of weeks.
thanks for the tips
Old 11-14-2004, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Here is the fix for it. SIB 63 05 02
Old 11-14-2004, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: e30
I think what you are complaining about is actually a feature. If its dark when the vehicle is started they come on and dont go out till the next key cycle. If its light outside when started they dont come on until it gets dark and go off when light again.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Luv drivin' my bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8168
I think what you are complaining about is actually a feature. If its dark when the vehicle is started they come on and dont go out till the next key cycle. If its light outside when started they dont come on until it gets dark and go off when light again.
It's always dark when I start the car because the garage is dark enough to put on the headlights. when I exit into the sun they turn off automatically. I just tried it to be sure and that's exactly how they performed.

I could not get to the link offered in the previous thread, so any information regarding the fix would be greatly appreciated. It could just be a setting thing. Like programming the keys.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Try this link?

Service Bulletin

I have a similar problem... basically my lights are on all the time. Even when it's really bright out. They switched on and off correctly before, but now they're always on. The service bulletin basically says this is a feature, but I'm scratching my head.