Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to MR525i
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Question Reasonable quote for cooling system??

Just got a quote back from an indie do preform the following work:

1997 BMW 528i (manual)

Replace fan clutch
Replace aux fan resistor pack

Both parts are deffinetly in need of replacement. No doubt there.

They are quoting $900ish.

Wanting to know if this seems high to anyone? More then happy to spend the money on the car but I've got a ton already invested in it. Any help would be great.

Also debating just doing the work myself
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
You should get those parts for ~$200. Installing fan clutch is fast & easy. Replacing the resistor requires removing the bumper, which isn't too bad. I would definitely DIY this, if you got some experience working on cars.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Fan Clutch: Sachs only, no Behr.
Resistor pack, info in forum.

As mentioned above, if you DIY, it is less than $200.

You likely need the entire cooling system overhaul before you cook the engine...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Way to high....

DIY ..... Just did my entire cooling system..... You can buy those parts for under $150 plus $50 for the special tools to remove the fan clutch.

For about $200 and four hours of your time you can save $700....

700/4= $180 per hour for your time....

Unless you are very well off.... Forgo the Indy on this job .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM

I had the same feeling. But not totaly confident that i can complete the work. Like i said, Im not against having a shop do the work but just want to ensure that the price isnt out of the resonalble range.

Also keep in mind that if i pull the car from the shop i'll be paying for the labor of the diagnosis. (1.0 - 1.5hrs) @100/hr

If i were to do the work myself i would skip the resistor pack and just swap the entire fan. Seems like its worth it if i tear the front end appart.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Fan Clutch: Sachs only, no Behr.
Resistor pack, info in forum.

As mentioned above, if you DIY, it is less than $200.

You likely need the entire cooling system overhaul before you cook the engine...
Most of the cooking system has been replaced at this point but the fans are one of the remaining items on my list and have both since failed. Sounds like DIY job. Hope I don't screw anything up! Haha
Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Does anyone have a recommended spot to order the parts from?

We have a supplier her that has the fan clutch for $190 and the fan assemble for $250.

And as previously mentioned. Stick with Sachs for the fan clutch! How about for the aux fan? Any preferred brands

Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
You sound nervous doing this job yourself. If this is your only car and it will not run until you get parts , etc , then you may need to let the local shop fix it for you. But, if you can live without the car for a week then I would order the parts online. I use Rockauto.com myself . I am also not wedded to certain components ( like Sachs of Behr only) . Rock will tell you which country the part comes from... Normally I just stay away from Chinese stuff and I have been ok. Many BMW OEM parts are sourced from Eastern Europe ( Slovinia , etc) .

The tools you need can be googled " BMW fan removal tools" and run about $40. With the tools and the knowledge from the forum DIY writeup this job is pretty straight forward. Many have issues getting the reverse thread nut to start ... I got lucky and it ran right on without an issue . I used a large open end wrench .

GL

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I use autohausaz (Phoenix, AZ), good people.

www.autohausaz.com

Fan Clutch PN 2100011031 (Choose the Fichtel-Sachs brand)
Resistor is PN 67328371873

FREE shipping as the order is above $75...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I bought all my cooling system parts for somewhere around $500 from Max at Oembimmerparts, but the OP can find out all that by typing /cooling system f3 in the bestlinks.

For example, there are spreadsheets, with prices, here:
- Complete cooling system overhaul recommended parts list (1)

See also:
  • Supplier prices lookup comparison engine (1) & BMW salvage (junkyard) parts lookup engine (1) & BMWfans search by part number (1) & Realoem nominal prices by part number (1) & EACTuning actual prices by part number (1) & BMW of South Atlanta actual prices by part number (1) & Maxmillian BMW dealer prices by part number (1) & the most often recommended parts suppliers (1) & what BMW E39 parts & supplies are best to buy OEM (1) & joining BMWCCA to lower parts costs (1) (2) & which BMW dealers match prices (1) & in situ pictures of common parts of the M54 engine (1) & what other tandem parts to buy while you're there (1)
  • Finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & the consumers' checkbook method of finding a good mechanic (1) & repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1) & other things to consider replacing while you're already there (1)
  • Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1) & BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software such as INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic-tool forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
  • Where can one obtain the BMW KSD for flat rate unit (FRU) labor pricing (1) & the BMW TIS for technical service bulletins (1) (2) & an on-line WDS (1) & a text-searchable PDF Bentley E39 repair manual, volume I (1) (2) & the best price on paper Bentleys (1) & the Bentley Publishers Online Technical Library (1) & if you can no longer find the TIS, here's why (1)
  • What to tell those who haven't yet bonded with their E39 who feel they don't have time, money, expertise, or tools to DIY & why the tools are free when they do so (1)
  • Glovebox printout of the dozen lists and procedures and specifications to print for emergency use (1) and how to save $ money to qualify for free shipping on UPS/DHL/USPS/FedEx by stocking O-rings & gaskets & bulbs & vacuum hoses & fuses & wiper blade inserts & belts & bearings & oil filters & cabin air filters & engine air filters & fluids in your garage whenever ordering from the recommended parts suppliers.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
I buy most of my parts from http://thebmwminipartstore.com/ This is a BMW dealer website for internet sales only but the prices are simply unbelievable!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the great info guys,

I let the shop install the fan clutch and that allowed me to get it home safe without any overheating. I'll purchase the resistor pack repair kit and get into that in the next couple days. Felt more comftrable doing the resistors over the fan clutch. Both look pretty straight forrward but didnt have the tools for the fan clutch job.

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM

This was posted in another related thread ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I wouldn't doubt for a second that, out here, it would be at least that, for a cooling system overhaul.

I typed in my car, and entered only the radiator, and it came to $700 to $900 for just the radiator, and nothing else (just taxes alone add almost another hundred dollars):
- Repairpal labor/job/shop rates by zip code (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
way high, i could do that for 500$ and still make 300bucks
Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
way high, i could do that for 500$ and still make 300bucks
I don't doubt it as labor rates out here are upwards of $150 to $200 I'm told (I personally would rather spend the money on tools so I am not an expert on labor rates, thank God).

But the OP asked for price so I gave the price by teaching the OP how to fish (the only thing that the OP needs to enter into the calculator is the zip code and the parts to be replaced).
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Under the lift arms

were talking like 150$ cost for parts or so ... So figure 15% mark up....

that leaves a very large gap for labor... they charging 150$ a hour or something?

the clutch gives 30 min, and the pack... a hour or so... theres no way it could reach 900$ even at the dealer
Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
We're talking like 150$ cost for parts or so ... So figure 15% mark up....
I understand. But, the way it seems to go out here, roughly, is you pay double for the parts than what you could get the same parts for elsewhere, and, you pay something like $200 an hour for labor.

But, you do get a free soda in the nicely air conditioned waiting room, and, there are two cashiers to choose from (with a line behind both).

Quote:
theres no way it could reach 900$ even at the dealer
I personally know of people who paid $450 for a battery replacement at the dealer, and upwards of $1,700 for a four wheel brake job (just pads, rotors, and sensors).

That's one reason why the tools are free.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Just to follow up,

Purchased the OEM fan assembly yesterday and should have it by Thursday to install this weekend.

fan clutch made such a huge difference already. Once i have the aux fan in I should be good to go.

Honestly it really doesn't surprise me that they wanted around $900ish for the job, A couple other shops in town came back with a similar quote, and one other around $675.

I would imagine the fan clutch with the right tools takes about 30 min to install, Book says about 1.5

then the Aux fan job..... Book said like 3.0-3.5 hrs. Even though you know they would knock it out in an hour or so.

So yes... these guys mark up these jobs like crazy. and that adds up quick @$100/hr. also its a fact that alot of these guys don't order parts from great websites as mentioned above. They get most of their gear from local warehouses through major auto supply chains. I can almost always find a better OEM or aftermarket part for less then what they can sell it for (even with a discount).

This forum has proved to be one of the most valuable resources in taking care of most of the issues that come up.

Thanks all!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Under the lift arms

6 min to do a fan clutch
on the side of the road
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR525i View Post
I would imagine the fan clutch with the right tools takes about 30 min to install, Book says about 1.5

Then the Aux fan job..... Book said like 3.0-3.5 hrs. Even though you know they would knock it out in an hour or so.
I can't find a "book" that actually tells me this kind of information!
Please add value to this thread so the rest of us can gather similar information:
- Where can one obtain the BMW KSD for flat rate unit (FRU) labor pricing (1)

Quote:
these guys mark up these jobs like crazy. and that adds up quick @$100/hr.
At $200/hour (or so), out here, they still have two cashiers at the dealership, with lines at both. It's MicroEconomics 101, supply & demand. You never pay what you are willing to pay; you pay what everyone else is willing to pay (if you want them to do the job for you).

If everyone stopped going to the dealer, due to their high prices, then they'd finally lower their prices. But they have no incentive to do so if people line up at the cashier in front of you.

Quote:
its a fact that alot of these guys don't order parts from great websites as mentioned above.
I wonder where the dealer gets parts?
Do they all get them from the same place?

Quote:
6 min to do a fan clutch on the side of the road
Heh heh... with my DICE Silverline, I had perfected the traffic-light-trunk-battery-reset-procedure, just to get my iPod working again!
- Questions for e39 DICE Silverline users

However, my cooling system overhaul took upwards of 2 full days, so, I'm sure, while you're on the faster end of the scale, I must be dead last as the slowest!

I probably also make the most mistakes of anyone here (or at least I'm perhaps the most willing to admit it!) ...
- How not to remove the large radiator hose connector spring clips (1)
- How not to remove the nipple from the E39 radiator (broken radiator nipple)
- How not to put your E39 fan clutch back on (crooked fan clutch nut)
- How not to bleed your E39 cooling system (1) (broken bleeder screw)
- How not to replace your E39 thermostat (thermostat loom misplaced)
- How not to remove your E39 expansion tank (broken expansion tank nipple & cn90 repair)
etc. (and that's just mistakes made on the cooling system!)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-23-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Just curious where you find those times? Autodata says 0.45 hours for the fan clutch on I6 and 0.25 on V8. I can't see how it could take 1.5 hours.

Last edited by HTK12; 07-09-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm only providing the times as they were provided to me through the quote. I've had multiple indies refer to "the book" when quoting a job.

All i'm trying to say is that you are going to have guys that are going to base their quote off of some external resource:::::::::Then you will have guys that will charge you based on how long it ACTUALLY took them to complete the job.

All very interesting and at the end of the day its just different business practices. There doesn't always see to be a lot of transparency in this industry.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
Alldata says 0.45 hours for the fan clutch on I6 and 0.25 on V8. I can't see how it could take 1.5 hours.
So, are the BMW KSD and Alldata the two most used methods of determining the shop time for any particular job?
Quote:
I've had multiple indies refer to "the book" when quoting a job.
Next time, we should ask them the name of "the book".
Quote:
Then you will have guys that will charge you based on how long it ACTUALLY took them to complete the job.
I can see the problem with both methods. One makes the estimate look a lot more like the final result, while the other can either save or cost you money, based on how good or bad the tech is (compared to a "normal" tech), or, just as easily, how hard or easy the job is (again, as compared to some "normal" job).

Quote:
There doesn't always see to be a lot of transparency in this industry.
Thats where YOU (and I) come in!

We can ask team members who go to dealers and indys what their quotes are, and from that, we can gain the transparency we need.

To do my part, I'll start a thread on the topic.

I already started one on the KSD - but we need also one (or the same one) where people can list the quotes that received for time to do a job. Over time, we can compile a database which will show which ones are off by a lot.

See also:
Where can one obtain the BMW KSD for flat rate unit (FRU) labor pricing (1)
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Bluebee, I miss typed the times were from Autodata, not Alldata. Autodata is alot faster to use than Alldata, so I checked from autodata. FIY you might want to fix the last two quotes.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Just wanted to give an update:

Received my new Aux fan assembly from http://www.autohausaz.com ($150ish)

took a little while to install but got it all back together.

Here are the results on a 90 degree day:

At Idle: no overheating , I allowed it to get to operation temp (center)

At Idle w/ AC on: Aux now kicks on low speed right as i hit the AC button (GOOD)

Driving: No overheating, Drove about 2 miles at different speeds and would stop periodically for a good 45 seconds or so to see if the fan would kick in. It did not but I imagine that the new fan clutch is doing its job of keeping everything cool.

Driving w/ AC on: Aux fan kicks in on low speed and car maintains normal operating temp (center) After driving a bit more the second speed of the fan engaged.

Seems like everything is working as it should. Really appreciate all your guys help on this. Wish i could have done the fan clutch but its all good! just glad to have it stable and driving normally again.

Also wanted to mention that the engine temp sensor was also replaced prior as well.