Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto:
M sport suspension

I'm looking into buying 09 128 convertible with the m sport package. This package isn't something I'm necessarily looking for but this particular car seems the best deal considering the year, mileage, and fact that's there's a year left on the cpo warranty. My concern: I read somewhere that the ride with the sport suspension is rough compared to the ride without? Anyone have any experience between the two? Thanks

Heath d
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your thread to the 1 series forum, you want to post your questions to the forum for the model you're asking about. It is going to be a little more rough but not substantially in my opinion. As ride is totally subjective why don't you just test drive it and see what you think?

Tim
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
The ride be wonderful! It is even better with the big six and the turbo!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the suggestions. Problem with test driving either of them is that I can't find them within 2 hours of me. I'm looking at an 09 128 with 65k miles and one year left on cpo warranty for $19,500 that has all the packages available including the m sport. Found the same model year 135 with 77k miles with none of the extras fe $17,500. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. The 135 has the m sport package as well. However, I don't have the luxury of driving either of these models--both are several hundred miles away an I only want to make the trip if I am buying it. I would prefer the twin turbo but really enjoy heated seats and memory seats too. Decisions decisions.

Heath d
Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Banned

So spend some money on a bus ticket and see the cars, or do a rental.

I buy cars where I can get the best deal which is seldom local. I never buy used cars without seeing them first. If they are new, I don't need to.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto:
That's what we are thinking too. Spend the money to go look. I'm wondering about gas mileage difference between the 128 and 135. Do you know if there's a difference and if so roughly what it is? I figure there must be with the twin turbos.

Heath d
Old 07-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

I don't drive my 135i M-Sport with DCT hard, but the very best I can do is maybe 22. I think that my average mileage is likely 20. I'd guess the 128 with manual would do at least 25.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the info

Heath d
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: '10 128i Spt.Pkg, manual
Think about what you really want. If power is really important, 135i. Personally very happy w/128i 6MT Sport Pkg. Much less to go wrong, great handling, not too hard on fuel. Sports seats alone make Sport Pkg.worth it. I wouldn't consider a car without it. Harsh ride comes from the runflat tires. Wear them out and replace w/good max. perf. summer tires and the ride is excellent.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto:
I've heard bad things about the run flats.

Heath d
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto:
I like your thinking too in terms of less things that can go wrong and better mpg. I'm not looking to run this thing hard so I think the less powerful 128 will do just fine. I drive a 335 and fell in love though--probably why I am not getting it. I'd end up getting crazy with it. The more tame 128 should keep me in check. Thanks for the tips though. I'm actually kind if sad that the 128 has newer tires. I'm not the kind to go buy new tires unless I need them. But I'm looking forward to getting rid of the run flats asap.

Heath d
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

The M-Sport Pkg made the deal for me. The Sport Seat are the best I've ever had. If you have any back problems, you'll love them.

Looking at the problems with the 135i, the 128i would be the way to go, since you eliminate the major place for problems - the turbo. I'd also be wary of high mileage cars with a turbo.

Another tip is to get the dealer to replace the RFTs to get a sale. I guarantee you'll replace them if you don't.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Rfts? I'm getting mine from private seller. Some of my concern is eased by the CPO warranty that still has a year left on it. At 66k miles with another year on the warranty I feel comfortable. I think the 128 was the way to go considering maintenance issues as well as the better mpg. I'll have the car this time next week and am super excited about it!

Heath d
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto:
I have heard many say that the seats alone make the m sport package worth it. I'm excited that my 128 has them--can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Heath d
Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Congrats. You're going to love it. If I could only stop tinkering with mine. Runflats already gone, 225/40/18's all around now. Replaced shock/struts yesterday with Bilsteins. Not something you need to do, but down the road if you want to upgrade, tires and shock/struts are a great place to start. Big diff. in the ride.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto:
If I upgrade the shocks and shuts what kind of effects will that have? Smoother ride? What can I expect to pay for the upgrade? Did you DIY on the struts and shocks--just curious. I know installation costs can be crazy. Thanks for the tips. We will have it this coming wed and are super excited! Can't wait.

Heath d
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 AM

OK, here's my take on this. The 2 major weaknesses of our cars is shock/struts and rear subframe bushings. They're too soft because those runflats are too hard. Bear in mind that for street driving these changes are not necessary- ditch the runflats when you can and enjoy the ride. If you want to tighten things up from there, maybe an occasional autoX or lapping day, these changes are pretty pricey but offer significant improvement. Not a do it yourselfer, I used Bilstein HD's(B6), $832 U.S. delivered to Canada by Tire Rack(about $200 cheaper in the U.S.) with the stock Msport springs. Installation was more than expected in the front, easy in the rear and with an alignment to the specs. I wanted came to about $700. Great ride w/non runflats, very responsive, firm but not harsh. Will probably get in a lapping day and autoX next month and that's where they'll really shine, but have to say I love the new feel. May consider the rear bushings (M3) next year but it's a big job- I wouldn't be surprised at $1000. in labour + parts. Like I said,depends what you want from the car. Might be that tire change alone will keep you smiling. Personally, very happy with my changes and may stop here.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the explanation and advice.

Heath d