Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 540I
May buy a 335i and need some opinions

Hi guys,

Today I went and looked for something new,its summer and I am shopping for a new toy. The car I have come across seems like an ok deal but before I go and pull the trigger I wanted to get some real world opinions from real world 335i owners. What I found is a fairly clean 2007 335i coupe with 115k miles and although the mileage is high its the right color combo for me being charcoal grey with black leather. The car is a 6 speed, has all the bells and whistles including navi and its been a one owner car from a pretty nice town in my area. Being that its a used car dealer I know I'm in for a surprise or two so I did some looking around and found a few things which may in fact be minor but as we all know these cars are temperamental and a fortune to fix. Here's what I found so far...

Right rear tire has good psi but the light is on

On startup it sounds like the catalytic converters rattle for the minute it takes for the rpm's to come down

Oil on the passenger side exhaust manifold and heat shield

A clicking on every rotation of something on the drivers side of the engine block, compartment is so tight I can't determine if its a tensioner pulls, alternator etc.. It's in the very close vicinity of the alternator if that helps.

I took the car for a ride and I was very impressed with its performance, my last bmw was the E39 540i and this car is worlds apart. It pulls hard with no hesitation, clutch feels great and the car goes down the road straight with no noises or rattles. Everything works the way it should with no flaws.

The price is $13,900 and comes with a basic 3 month warranty which being a used dealer probably covers just about all of nothing.

My concerns are turbos, cats and the brains of the car as I know from past experience any German car past 100k miles is just a money pit but I'm hoping that in recent years they've become more reliable.

What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
You've already noted some issues that may be of concern but could also be relatively minor. If truly interested in the car, I'd invest in a thorough pre-purchase inspection by a respected independent and also have him estimate the cost of repair.

If there's nothing major or too expensive to remedy and you still want the car, I'd then use the PPI report as the basis for offering a low-ball figure ($10k?) and negotiating to no higher than the price you're willing to pay; remembering to include the cost of taxes and registration to avoid surprises in the finance office.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcousi9 View Post
What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are these:
  1. One
  2. Two
  3. Three

Assuming you've done THIS
Old 07-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborascal View Post
you've already noted some issues that may be of concern but could also be relatively minor. If truly interested in the car, i'd invest in a thorough pre-purchase inspection by a respected independent and also have him estimate the cost of repair.

If there's nothing major or too expensive to remedy and you still want the car, i'd then use the ppi report as the basis for offering a low-ball figure ($10k?) and negotiating to no higher than the price you're willing to pay; remembering to include the cost of taxes and registration to avoid surprises in the finance office.
+1