Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Direct injecdtion prob solved by some car makers

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

what is Europe waiting for?

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I don't see where it was "solved". I must have missed something. Audi says its latest models have no "reported" build up but nothing shows that it was solved that I could see...
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
I don't see where it was "solved". I must have missed something. Audi says its latest models have no "reported" build up but nothing shows that it was solved that I could see...
Only thing that truly 'solves' the issue is some sort of filter/trap that isolates the crankcase gases and removes what precipitates out as crud on the intake valves. Something like a catch can on steroids.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Only thing that truly 'solves' the issue is some sort of filter/trap that isolates the crankcase gases and removes what precipitates out as crud on the intake valves. Something like a catch can on steroids.
Venting the crankcase gases directly to the atmosphere would also solve the issue, and it is what was done before PCV valves were mandated in the 70's. I wonder how problematic the release of the tiny amount of oily vapor would be?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Venting the crankcase gases directly to the atmosphere would also solve the issue, and it is what was done before PCV valves were mandated in the 70's. I wonder how problematic the release of the tiny amount of oily vapor would be?
The car would fail the hydrocarbon emissions test. Almost guaranteed to throw a code (crankcase pressure test fail). There would be eau de hydrocarbon that surrounded the car, which could cause problems if you were pulled over for even something as minor as a brake light being out. Your car could be impounded for emissions violations. Things could get expensive real fast.

The first emissions measure that was implemented for cars starting with the 1967 model year if memory serves was to vent crankcase vapors into the combustion process using PCV valves.

Disabling the PCV function would solve the carbonization problem, but liability for intentional disabling of the emissions system would far outweigh the costs of periodic de-carbonization.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
although I don't like government regulations, if you add up all the cars in the US then a few drops becomes thousands of tons of pollutants per year,
with the invention or regulation of PCV systems, and cleaning up the blow by gases one result was that engine oil last a whole lot longer.

My 71Triumph TR6 WO PVC, the oil is black after 3000 miles

give then time and they will come up with a system to keep valves clean

Maybe Teflon coat the valves and intake?????
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
although I don't like government regulations, if you add up all the cars in the US then a few drops becomes thousands of tons of pollutants per year,
with the invention or regulation of PCV systems, and cleaning up the blow by gases one result was that engine oil last a whole lot longer.

My 71Triumph TR6 WO PVC, the oil is black after 3000 miles
Ever wonder why the manufacturer specified a 3,000 mile oil change interval?

Quote:
give then time and they will come up with a system to keep valves clean

Maybe Teflon coat the valves and intake?
????
It comes down to how much does the system to keep the valves clean cost versus the cost of the walnut blasting every 30K-ish miles. First 30K blasting is on BMW. The follow-on blasting would be paid for by the customer (either directly out-of-pocket or through purchase of extended maintenance coverage).

Personally, I think the solution is to be found in a super efficient catch can or filter that traps at a molecular level (think along the lines of GoreTex) that is replaced as a maintenance item.

Last edited by anE934fun; 07-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i 6MT convertible
It does sound like ford and gm have solutions for build up by timing of the injection pulse. The article also mentions re-designing the PVC system.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
its a big $ for service dept
i drove the new 4 turbo and like the response but will not buy one at this time
THEY COULD PORT THE INTAKE AND DO A 10K CLEANING BY INJECTION AND SOLVE THE ISSUE BUT THAT WOULD BE EASY.

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods