Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
TPMS alarm: How bad is it?

I'm looking at getting a set of winter tires for my wife's 2011 335i from tire rack. It's $228 for the four TPMS monitors but I'm wondering if I need them. My question is:

How annoying is the TPMS alarm? Is it just a few chimes when the car is started and a light on the dash? Can the computer be reset to not look for the TPMS sensors?

If I do get them installed, will they work, or am I going to be making a $ trip to the dealer to get them programmed?

I read on this site that in mid 2011 there was a change in sensors. Ours is a June 2011 built car. Should I tell tirerack that it's a 2010 car just to be sure I get the right sensor?

My main driving function is to minimize hassle. I don't want to go to the dealer b/c its a pita, and I don't want to futz around with tirerack if they f' up and install the wrong sensor. I don't mind the $228 for the sensors but they goddam better work with very little effort on my part. I'd rather just put up with a couple chimes at startup and a light on the dash and keep an eye on the tires myself than deal with a wrong sensor install or take it to the dealer.

Anyone have experience not running the sensors?
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsnyder View Post
I'm looking at getting a set of winter tires for my wife's 2011 335i from tire rack. It's $228 for the four TPMS monitors but I'm wondering if I need them. My question is:

How annoying is the TPMS alarm? Is it just a few chimes when the car is started and a light on the dash? Can the computer be reset to not look for the TPMS sensors?

If I do get them installed, will they work, or am I going to be making a $ trip to the dealer to get them programmed?

I read on this site that in mid 2011 there was a change in sensors. Ours is a June 2011 built car. Should I tell tirerack that it's a 2010 car just to be sure I get the right sensor?

My main driving function is to minimize hassle. I don't want to go to the dealer b/c its a pita, and I don't want to futz around with tirerack if they f' up and install the wrong sensor. I don't mind the $228 for the sensors but they goddam better work with very little effort on my part. I'd rather just put up with a couple chimes at startup and a light on the dash and keep an eye on the tires myself than deal with a wrong sensor install or take it to the dealer.

Anyone have experience not running the sensors?
You'll only have an annoying and constant visual dash warning if you don't put them in. No, you can't shut it off unless you start getting 'creative' with the wiring.

Just give the Tire Rack your car's build date...they'll make sure you have the correct TPMS. They should 'auto' program and start working according to your car's reset procedures but I'm sure TR can help you with that also.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Umm you can code the system off

Find a local coder

The system can be coded back on later.

I would just get the sensors though

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
There's no issue with changing over sensors between tire sets if they have the right modules in them. Tire Rack sent me the right ones for my car. When I put the winter set on, I just go through the reset procedure with the turn signal stalk. No big deal at all, no trip to dealer required.

If you're thinking about going without, you may wish to think again. If you get run-flat winter tires, you should NEVER run without TPMS. You may have lost all pressure in a tire, won't see it, and won't know it until the tire fails dramatically. If you run with go-flats, you may find it difficult to get them put on and off your car or have them repaired. NHTSA is cracking down on tire shops that mount non-TPMS setups on cars with TPMS.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
NHTSA is cracking down on tire shops that mount non-TPMS setups on cars with TPMS.

Well _that's_ a great use of taxpayer money, harassment of small business owners. Beautiful. Not like 9 of 10 new jobs is created by small business or anything. Could the government possibly be any dumber?

As long as programming the car to recognize the sensor is as easy as selecting 'reset' in the dashboard menu, I'll give it a try.

I wish I could get the psi to read out on the dashboard, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by tmsnyder; 07-07-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
There's no issue with changing over sensors between tire sets if they have the right modules in them. Tire Rack sent me the right ones for my car. When I put the winter set on, I just go through the reset procedure with the turn signal stalk. No big deal at all, no trip to dealer required.

If you're thinking about going without, you may wish to think again. If you get run-flat winter tires, you should NEVER run without TPMS. You may have lost all pressure in a tire, won't see it, and won't know it until the tire fails dramatically. If you run with go-flats, you may find it difficult to get them put on and off your car or have them repaired. NHTSA is cracking down on tire shops that mount non-TPMS setups on cars with TPMS.
You could also manually check tire pressure. Like they used to do before TPMS.

I have FTM in my 330xi but even with newer cars I drive that have TPMS, I also manually check. I never got used to trusting the sensors and probably never will

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
If your car came with them, the tire place is required by law to install them
Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
I swear by the sensors. More than once I have had a tire go down at 100mph plus speeds where the sensor went off. It was correct.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM

I'll go ahead and install them. Even if it's just a couple chimes and an annoying light on the dash it's worth it to avoid those as long as it's not a hassle to make the new ones work.

The sensors are $228 extra to install on the four wheels, it's optional. Even though I indicated the car it was going on. So maybe b/c TR is not physically putting them on the car they're not required to install the sensors? I'm just buying wheels and tires from them, plus the sensors now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
If your car came with them, the tire place is required by law to install them
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation CODING for PSI

Quote:
Well _that's_ a great use of taxpayer money, harassment of small business owners. Beautiful. Not like 9 of 10 new jobs is created by small business or anything. Could the government possibly be any dumber?

As long as programming the car to recognize the sensor is as easy as selecting 'reset' in the dashboard menu, I'll give it a try.

I wish I could get the psi to read out on the dashboard, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks for all the help!
Check the "coding' section of the forum ... I know on F10 series both the (actual) tire pressure and temperature reading can be coded to appear in iDrive.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You could also manually check tire pressure. Like they used to do before TPMS.
Yes, you certainly can.

But unlike before TPMS, if you have runflat tires, they look fine when you walk out of the office and get into your car. Excluding a few OCD loons, people didn't check their tires each and every time before they drove, but many looked at them to see if they were flat. Now, you can have zero pressure and pull out of the space without thinking.

Roll up onto the highway, set the cruise at 75, head off to the summer place in NH (150 miles away), and wait for the fun as your sidewall comes apart 2 hours into the drive.

But, hey, let's go OCD. Check your tire pressure before every time you drive. You still won't know if you ran over a shard of broken bottle backing out of the parking space, dropping your pressure to zero and setting up the same case above.

The bottom line on this is that if you have runflats, you must have TPMS, unless you plan to check the pressure each and every time, never drive more than 50 miles at a shot, and never drive over 55.

Quote:
... even with newer cars I drive that have TPMS, I also manually check. I never got used to trusting the sensors and probably never will
Yup, so do I, because the TPMS doesn't trigger until you're low enough to negatively effect mpg and handling.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-07-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi sport wagon
Quote:
I'll go ahead and install them. Even if it's just a couple chimes and an annoying light on the dash it's worth it to avoid those as long as it's not a hassle to make the new ones work.

The sensors are $228 extra to install on the four wheels, it's optional. Even though I indicated the car it was going on. So maybe b/c TR is not physically putting them on the car they're not required to install the sensors? I'm just buying wheels and tires from them, plus the sensors now.
I got TPMS sensors from TR for my 2009 E91. I had my winter tires mounted at a local shop and put them on and they worked without any resetting of the system. I actually let some air out of one tire just to make sure they were working. If it's your wife's car, I'm betting that any alarm going off will annoy her (it would annoy my wife).
Old 07-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Umm you can code the system off

Find a local coder

The system can be coded back on later.

I would just get the sensors though
"Coder"? In the federal rulemaking for FMVSS 138 (mandatory TPMS), NHTSA specifically stated that there would be no provision, allowance for shutting off the malfunction indicator light. Doing so is illegal under the statute.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I've never heard any chimes when my TPMS warning went off (indicator light) and in the rulemaking process for this law, no audible warning was every discussed or required.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:

Thanks for all the help!
Well, I am sure people said the same thing when ABS first came out It was (and is) illegal to disable that system as well. Same reasoning here. If you didn't have any regulation you would have people driving around on bald tires and no brake pads.

Think about the money the "small business" gets to make over checking and maintaining these TPMS systems. I wish people would stop and think about both side of the coin before immediately jumping to their gut (misguided) reaction.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Riiight. Burdensome, overbearing govt bureaucracy is actually good for small businesses. Riiiight. (<--- this is sarcasm btw)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that idea I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
Well, I am sure people said the same thing when ABS first came out It was (and is) illegal to disable that system as well. Same reasoning here. If you didn't have any regulation you would have people driving around on bald tires and no brake pads.

Think about the money the "small business" gets to make over checking and maintaining these TPMS systems. I wish people would stop and think about both side of the coin before immediately jumping to their gut (misguided) reaction.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post

Ah, the "Broken Window" fallacy.

The concept breaks down in the usual place. The money spent checking and maintaining these systems doesn't leap into being as Athena sprang from the head of Zeus. Rather, it is diverted from other opportunities on which the vehicle owners would prefer it to be spent.

Last edited by Zooks527; 07-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Ah, the "Broken Window" fallacy.

The concept breaks down in the usual place. The money spent checking and maintaining these systems doesn't leap into being as Athena sprang from the head of Zeus. Rather, it is diverted from other opportunities on which the vehicle owners would prefer it to be spent.
Ah yes, and this is the point to some degree. People shouldn't be able to choose spending money on some shiny new wheels over a safety device (TPMS, new brakes etc.). Balance between the two extremes is key.. often forgotten.

Lets fix your flat tire, oh you need a new sensor along with your new tire. Sure, that doesn't generate anymore money. I would rather just buy the new tire.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, you certainly can.

But unlike before TPMS, if you have runflat tires, they look fine when you walk out of the office and get into your car. Excluding a few OCD loons, people didn't check their tires each and every time before they drove, but many looked at them to see if they were flat. Now, you can have zero pressure and pull out of the space without thinking.

Roll up onto the highway, set the cruise at 75, head off to the summer place in NH (150 miles away), and wait for the fun as your sidewall comes apart 2 hours into the drive.

But, hey, let's go OCD. Check your tire pressure before every time you drive. You still won't know if you ran over a shard of broken bottle backing out of the parking space, dropping your pressure to zero and setting up the same case above.

The bottom line on this is that if you have runflats, you must have TPMS, unless you plan to check the pressure each and every time, never drive more than 50 miles at a shot, and never drive over 55.

Yup, so do I, because the TPMS doesn't trigger until you're low enough to negatively effect mpg and handling.
A flat RFT will handle MUCH differently than a properly inflated one.

I see your point about having a tire low and not noticing. But even then, when I had RFTs, I would notice the front side with lower pressure pull when braking and the rear side when accelerating.

People just don't pay attention to how a car drives. As long as the engine starts and it moves, that all they care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
"Coder"? In the federal rulemaking for FMVSS 138 (mandatory TPMS), NHTSA specifically stated that there would be no provision, allowance for shutting off the malfunction indicator light. Doing so is illegal under the statute.
"For off-road use"

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.