Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Warranty Question

I had the injectors replaced on my 07 335i right before the CPO expired ... Now less than 2 years later they need to be replaced again. Someone had told me that the parts should have been covered for 2 years after the work is done but my bmw dealer is telling me that it is not covered since the CPO has expired..

Does anyone know BMW's policy on this?
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
AFAIK - parts are covered against failure for 2 years unlimited miles. I don't think the labor is. Also, not sure if this applies if the parts were originally replaced under CPO vs out of pocket. I'd call BMW Customer Service if you don't get anywhere with the dealership.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonb6 View Post
afaik - parts are covered against failure for 2 years unlimited miles. I don't think the labor is. Also, not sure if this applies if the parts were originally replaced under cpo vs out of pocket. i'd call bmw customer service if you don't get anywhere with the dealership.

+1
Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHooo View Post
I had the injectors replaced on my 07 335i right before the CPO expired ... Now less than 2 years later they need to be replaced again. Someone had told me that the parts should have been covered for 2 years after the work is done but my bmw dealer is telling me that it is not covered since the CPO has expired..

Does anyone know BMW's policy on this?
How do you know the injectors need to be replaced again?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi 6MT
From http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...arts-overview:

Every Original BMW Part is engineered to make your BMW perform the way it should. They are crash-tested to ensure high quality and designed to seamlessly match every component in your vehicle. Every part comes with a 2-year/unlimited mileage limited warranty, so it pays to keep it original.

Seems pretty clear you should be covered for the parts.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
the dealer is saying that if I had paid for it than it would be covered for 2 years, but since it was done under warranty it is not
Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
the dealer is saying that if I had paid for it than it would be covered for 2 years, but since it was done under warranty it is not
so then they dont back their new part with a 2 year warranty, only if you pay for them
Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
so then they dont back their new part with a 2 year warranty, only if you pay for them
this seems odd to me. N4S
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
I retrieved my car from a A/C service appointment yesterday afternoon. The expansion valve was replaced under warranty.

The back of the invoice clearly states a 2-year part and labor warranty for OE dealer-installed parts. There is NO disclaimer about the part having been previously replaced under warranty.

I'd take the denial "up the food chain" to the service manager to request coverage. Should that be denied I'd then speak with the general manager, and finally BMWNA.

Last edited by Turborascal; 07-09-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
I retrieved my car from a A/C service appointment yesterday afternoon. The expansion valve was replaced under warranty.

The back of the invoice clearly states a 2-year part and labor warranty for OE dealer-installed parts. There is NO disclaimer about the part having been previously replaced under warranty.

I'd take the denial "up the food chain" to the service manager to request coverage. Should that be denied I'd then speak with the general manager, and finally BMWUSA.
From the back of a BMW dealer service invoice:

"BMW of North America, Inc warrants genuine BMW replacement parts...and BMW remanufactured parts, imported by BMW of North America, Inc. and purchased over the counter from an authorized BMW dealer, against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 24 months...
...The defective part(s) must be brought to an authorized BMW automobile dealer, who, upon presentation of the original dated sales invoice, will replace the spare part(s) or accessories covered by this warranty free of charge. This wrranty does not cover labor costs for the removal or installation of the parts(s) or accessories."

Last edited by wilt; 07-09-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
From the back of a BMW dealer service invoice:

"BMW of North America, Inc warrants genuine BMW replacement parts...and BMW remanufactured parts, imported by BMW of North America, Inc. and purchased over the counter from an authorized BMW dealer, against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 24 months...
...The defective part(s) must be brought to an authorized BMW automobile dealer, who, upon presentation of the original dated sales invoice, will replace the spare part(s) or accessories covered by this warranty free of charge. This wrranty does not cover labor costs for the removal or installation of the parts(s) or accessories.
Hmm ... the back of my invoice is similar to yours, but with the following, "Warranty on parts replaced during the warranty period will remain in effect for the duration of the longer of the vehicle warranty or the replacement parts warranty. ... Upon presentation of the original repair order showing the installation date the dealer will repair or replace said part(s) or accessories covered by this warranty without charge for parts or labor to the customer".

OP, read the back of your repair invoice to see which language it contains.

I read mine as warrantying genuine repair parts for two years subsequent to their installation. If indeed the dealership diagnoses dealer-installed factory injectors as bad I'd still pursue the denial up the food chain.

Last edited by Turborascal; 07-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
Hmm ... the back of my invoice is similar to yours, but with the following, "Warranty on parts replaced during the warranty period will remain in effect for the duration of the longer of the vehicle warranty or the replacement parts warranty. ... Upon presentation of the original repair order showing the installation date the dealer will repair of replace said part(s) or accessories covered by this warranty without charge for parts or labor to the customer".

OP, read the back of your repair invoice to see which language it contains.

I read mine as warrantying genuine repair parts for two years subsequent to their installation. If indeed the dealership diagnoses dealer-installed factory injectors as bad I'd still pursue the denial up the food chain.
My invoice back text clearly stated as to parts sold "over the counter", whereas Turborascal's invoice text applied for dealer installed replacement. And, like Turborascal, I agree "the LONGER OF THE (vehicle warranty or) the REPLACEMENT PARTS WARRANTY...WITHOUT CHARGE for parts or LABOR" is very clearly defined by BMW NA and is the club that should be held over the head of that BMW dealer (or even a visit to ANY BMW dealer when your PIA dealer renegs)!

Last edited by wilt; 07-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: a car
BMW just recently changed their warranty program. If you had something replaced under warranty. It's only covered as long as the vehicle is covered under warranty. Example. If you have injectors replaced under warranty, and 6 months later you run out of warranty and need another set. Not covered. At least that's what was explained to me.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW master tech. 9 years experience.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I guess their 4 year 50K mile warrant all inclusive plan is kicking them in the ASS, so now they are changing the rules
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertech113 View Post
BMW just recently changed their warranty program. If you had something replaced under warranty. It's only covered as long as the vehicle is covered under warranty. Example. If you have injectors replaced under warranty, and 6 months later you run out of warranty and need another set. Not covered. At least that's what was explained to me.

Interesting ... since I previously quoted the back of the invoice I received on Tuesday evening specifically covering parts and labor for the warranty period or two full years subsequent to installation.

If the back of the OPs invoice so states, I'd think that BMW NA would have to cover the repair.

I'd still push my concern up the management chain until I received a definitive answer.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
That is false. All parts are covered for 2 years. BMW pays the dealership. Dealership gets less money from BMW than from you. Call BMW NA and let us know what happens

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:

But, those changes don't impact older models. The buyer signed a contract with BMW. BMW will not change the contract down the road (for the worse)

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

While it makes sense that for new cars sold after (date) BMW has chosen to offer a shorter warranty period than previously provided, it seems counter to legally recognized terms of sale that any cars sold BEFORE (date) would have their coverage period SHORTENED from what was in effect at the time of original sale!

Even still stated on bmw.com (BMW AG): http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/service/warranty.html

"The BMW dealer warranty.
"If you buy a new BMW, you'll want driving pleasure to come as guaranteed. For this reason, your BMW Service Centre now offers a warranty for the bodywork of twelve years and three years for the paintwork. For the entire automobile (excluding the replacement of worn parts), Original BMW Parts as well as Original BMW Accessories, a warranty of two years regardless of the mileage is offered. Service you can count on - we guarantee it."

Last edited by wilt; 07-10-2014 at 10:33 AM.