Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d, 1988 325ic
i8 quick impressions

Got to take a ride today in an i8 for a few miles. Thought I'd share some quick impressions.

Man, is this thing gorgeous. Think Audi R8 with some Lexus LFA mixed in, and enough BMW DNA to make it different. It's long, low, and has all kinds of curves, nooks and crannies.

The gullwing doors are massive - they open straight north/south and not northwest/southeast as I expected. Getting in the car is...interesting. You can either stick your butt into the car (getting the back of your pants dirty on the lower frame) or stick a foot in and prop yourself using the wheel to hoist yourself in. Ergonomically, it's a nightmare.

Once inside, it's a pretty familiar BMW cabin, with the difference of an all-digital dash, and a much lower seating position than usual. I wasn't blown away by the quality and feel of the seats but I believe this was a preproduction model.

Once underway, the car makes incredible noises, very surprising if you're used to the quiet of a Tesla. Power was more than adequate with enough of a kick in the rear that I thought this car was exclusively RWD.

Interior space was pretty tight - even the passenger side bay felt tight, let alone the teeny-tiny rear seat. Back seat space looks to be about even with the Fiat 500e I test drove last weekend.

The target market for this car is the well-heeled customer who wants something eco-friendly yet different from a Tesla and exclusive. I think it will be a big hit, but I can see owners getting tired of dealing with the quirks and design flaws pretty quickly.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Thanks for posting your review! That about sums up how I feel about the i8. I think it is going to sell well until everyone has one or it is no longer the new 'it' thing to have then I think they values are going to drop and i8s are going to sit on dealer lots.

Tim
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: M Roadster, M3
Yes, because that happens with every top end BMW car.

Not.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bacon
I am not sure about the i8 becoming unwanted anytime soon, if ever.

Most of the articles I've read have quoted BMW officials as stating the total intended volume of i8s will be in the few thousand range. If that's the case, the production volume will be similar to the Z8. Therefore, "everyone" will not have one.

I don't imagine BMW will have issues selling 5000-6000 i8s in a 3 or 4 year run, globally. I've yet to see anything anywhere indicating that it will be like a regular model with LCI and future generations.

There will surely be other BMW i sports cars in the future, and eventually a new halo car, but I don't believe that BMW will dilute the i8 in such a way as to make it commonplace. It's not a mass production vehicle like the i3 or regular series production BMWs.

The only way I see units sitting on dealer lots is those with insane above MSRP markups, and even those eventually sell.

I believe the i8 will be a collector's car.

Time will tell.