Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto:
08 328i no problems!

It's new to me. 78K miles. Looking at carfax it's been in for every maintenance check etc.
It seems to be running great. My two BMW bikes have been bullet proof. Hoping this 328i runs as well.
I've read up on extended warranties, I think I'll pay as I go, instead of paying a big chunk now, and finding out that my "issue" isn't covered anyway..
Going to find a "non dealer" bmw repair shop and take it in for service.
It's a blast to drive, I can't imagine what the 335xi runs like.. Glad I didn't test drive one.
Besides water pump, and valve cover gasket, what should I be looking for, as far as common problems are concerned?

Better yet, is there a model specific, common problems, thread? Mine does not have nav, or even heated seats, for that matter.

I don't mind spending $$ for preventive maintenance, but I do mind getting stranded on a vacation.

Thx
Jeff

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
The serpentine belt is a good one and very do'able for a DIY. I like to change my oil more frequently in hopes that it helps the vanos solenoids function accurately and longer (as well as save the engine). Transmission fluid not a bad idea at your mileage.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Do you change your own oil? I've done it a bunch on Toyotas and bikes, since I don't have a warranty, I don't need to worry about voiding it..
Thx

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328i
I bought my 2008 328i back in March with 64k on the odometer. I'm a DIY guy and will do my own work short of engine change or transmission rebuild.

My car's warranty expired 3 months before I bought it. All recalls and service intervals were up to date and it ran perfectly. It still does.

The only issue I've had was a coil failure, as did the previous owner last year. Since two had failed close together, I replaced all six as well as the plugs. That's it. It's been a great car so far and I plan to keep it for at least 100k more miles.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Fantastic news. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I know one is a pretty small sample size (Ha!) but it still warms my heart.
I haven't found a thread on oil changes, and I haven't seriously looked under the car.
Easy, or not? Do you have to put it up on jacks?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
It's a solid model .....we have similar miles on our 07 and 08 .....
Are you on the original battery? If so it's due to be replaced.

Just replaced the starter on the 07 which I think was an outlier event based on reading here and on our others!

We also have a 2002 330i in the family which has been great!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbiker View Post
Do you change your own oil? I've done it a bunch on Toyotas and bikes, since I don't have a warranty, I don't need to worry about voiding it..
Thx
Toyota is pretty easy, but so is BMW. As the filter is on top, it is slightly less messy, and easier to uninstall and reinstall the housing. A little extra work happens with replacing the two o-rings for this housing, and having one of those little hook-pick thingys then makes it very easy. (Was pretty difficult for me my first go around with a pair of pliers, while afraid of scratching the housing.) My set of 5 hooks was either 1 or 2 dollars at HF.

My '08 battery is original, and my load test last year says it was in fine shape. However, I somewhat regularly hook up a CTEK charger to the posts under the hood.

IMO, you seem to have the common issues covered. I can't think of anything else that might commonly pop up.

Okay, some people get pretty annoyed with the functioning of the seat belt extender, but I think the possible solutions to that are supposed to be easy.

Oh, re your Q about jacks... I personally find it easier to use jack stands to change oil, because my low pro jack is long enough to reach central lift point. With ramps... well with the Rhinos I have, I'd have to place wood boards in front of them, all of which are placed on these skinny long carpets I got at Costco... setting and aligning all that up takes more time than putting my car on stands. You could make it easier with Race Ramps, but they are expensive.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 981S, RAV4
Our 08 328i has had no repairs since picking it up in 12/07.
64K miles--original brakes, clutch, battery. Just put a set of DWS tires on it. All in all, a terrific road car which has been extremely reliable to this point.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Also delivered in December 2007, my 328i has been surprisingly unreliable, considering that the 328i is supposed to be one of the most reliable BMW models, and considering how little my car is driven. (I blame Oktoberfest, since the car was assembled just after that.)

Electrical poltergeists, mainly. Several radios. Software updates. I'm on my third stereo amplifier (long story). The battery. The battery cable recall. Some $1000 gizmo that's involved in the stability control. Serpentine belt tensionser. The sunroof. The driver's seat cover was replaced early on -- defective cow. Probably a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten.

I just got the car back from the dealer July 3. The ABS pump and the passenger seat occupancy sensor failed.

The extended warranty has paid for itself twice so far.

My best failure was driving back from Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago and I was telling my daughter -- who is a generally sane person who drives a Honda Accord -- that BMWs are a lot of fun to drive and "really not all that unreliable" (she was having trouble stopping herself from laughing!) when, deus ex machina, the BMW spirits intervened, the radio quit, half the radio display went blank, and the other half showed machine gibberish.

The car's engine at least has been very reliable. It's all the stuff attached to the engine that has been the problem. It handles great, the 6-speed manual transmission shifts wonderfully, and it is a pleasure to drive. When it's working.

My BMW dealer has been very good with all this. And the car has never left me stranded. The loaners have been nice. I had a 528i last week -- kind of a barge, but a very nice barge.

Would I buy another one? BMW doesn't import stations wagons with manual transmissions any longer, so they have kindly relieved me from making that decision.

I'm considering keeping the E91 out of warranty for a while, and stuffing $300/month into a piggy bank for repairs.

I have never had the kind of emotional attachment to trouble-free Japanese cars that I have with Eurocars. I do really like driving the car, in spite of everything -- what is it they say, all the world's great handling cars are built within a few hundred miles of the Alps?

Still, it's just not been very reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16RHJHYE9nzpdUzuBQ6%28CD4R2g~~60_12.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	450538  
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC
Sorry about your wagon Bob. We have a 2008 with 70K+ with the only problem being an electronic component (audio related) when new. Original everything other than fluids and filters. I'm posting in hopes that someone from BMW looks at this forum from time to time as this will also be my last. No stick in the wagon no sale! Do love it so maybe it will last as long as I do anyway.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Lots of good info everyone. Thanks.
I'll probably take it in once for a oil change, watch them, and see if it's just too big of a PIA to do my own.
I was told by a local non dealer bmw shop, it was $155 for a oil change. I was thinking it must be pretty technical.
The battery looks new, but I've never had one in the trunk before, it's pretty clean in there. Ha
I'll take a look at the build date, hope it not a "Octoberfest special"
Thanks again
Jeff
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Certified Car Nut

Send a message via AIM to mwpepper
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
I have a 08 335i It has gone to the dealership for everything. They send me coupons for 79.95 oil changes. @ 15k intervals, it works out to be the same price has a normal grocery getter, but a heck of a lot more fun.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto:
I'm going to stop by the dealer that's pretty close by. See if they have some of these $79 specials out there.
Thx

Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I'm going to stop by the dealer that's pretty close by. See if they have some of these $79 specials out there.
Thx

The closest dealer has a regular price for oil changes at $89. That's fine w me, especially if oil changes are every 10,000 miles.

Which reminds me.. Do I just go by the computer to tell me when I need the oil changed?
I bought from a Mercedes dealer that was closing a location and moving, so the used car pricing was at wholesale. They supposedly changed the oil when they inspected it. But the wipers were shot, and the washer fluid was empty.
How can I tell when the oil needs changed?
Thx
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
The closest dealer has a regular price for oil changes at $89. That's fine w me, especially if oil changes are every 10,000 miles.

Which reminds me.. Do I just go by the computer to tell me when I need the oil changed?
I bought from a Mercedes dealer that was closing a location and moving, so the used car pricing was at wholesale. They supposedly changed the oil when they inspected it. But the wipers were shot, and the washer fluid was empty.
How can I tell when the oil needs changed?
Thx
Google "BMW secret menu" to get maintenance remaining interval for oil, brakes, etc.
To your other q, I believe interval is 10k miles, but your computer will give you a dash icon at 15k, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Better yet, is there a model specific, common problems, thread? Mine does not have nav, or even heated seats, for that matter.

More or less....
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: VW, BMW, BMW
We went with BMW's service recommendations for my wife's x3 and found them to be too long. With short trips I would change the oil every 5k or max 10k with no longer than a year between.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I do the same
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks everyone. I'll go w 10K on the oil changes. I'm using it for longer trips (200 miles or more) for shorter trips around town I drive my 4 Runner, I'm a shade over 6'5" and getting in and out of the 328i is a lot of work, but I find it comfortable going down the highway. Plus "not" watching the gas gauge drop so quickly is nice. Ha
So far I'm very impressed. About 4,000 miles on it since I bought it. Very solid, no squeaks or rattles. Over 30 mpg. I went without buying a extended warranty. Plus it looks nice too. Of course I've got a green, blue, grey, colored one. Depends on the angle of the sun. Not sure what the color is actually called. I'm pretty sure it's the fastest color.